May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Mike Harrell, ClapperZapper, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 547 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,386
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO, no one with a light 12 will ever experience the excitement and satisfaction of taking a limit of doves with a .410. How else can you explain the incredible number of .410 shells that are loaded and sold every year? Kiddies ain't shooting them all.

A .410 is the extreme, mind you, but the difference is real.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
3 members like this: Licensed to kill, David Williamson, ithaca1
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am generally against censorship or deleting Threads here, but this idea that a man only needs two shotguns is dangerous in the extreme!

Just imagine the damage and hardship that might ensue if some woman did an A.I. search to determine how many guns a man really needs, and this idea came up as a result. Something like that would spread like wildfire among women, and they would all start nagging us to sell off excess shotguns.

I've tried to come up with some rational explanation for why you might post this Lloyd, and the best I can come up with is that you were either doing some really heavy drinking, or you are posting a late April Fool's Day prank. What ever it is, I'm betting that we won't be seeing you get rid of all but two 12 gauge guns.

This isn't quite as crazy as the nutty idea that it is OK for a gun owner to vote Democrat, but it's getting close.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: CJ Dawe
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stan: If somebody is competent with a .410 (as you clearly are) then more power to them. I'm not saying you shouldn't (at least while this is still a free country) and I certainly understand the appeal, but in a very general reference to humanity, most folks either can't shoot one effectively or probably shouldn't (unless their skill with it is highly evolved). As you mention, the .410 is at the extreme.

Like many folks (most?), I'm purely looking at my own situation and use. I've used my own 28/.410 combo gun to good effect and I've no plans to discard it. I'd suspect that someday it will become even more useful to me. For most of us here (perhaps all?), "want" equates to "need" and if we're lucky or blessed (or both) we get to exercise those wants. I've thoroughly enjoyed the process that got me to this point and I hope (& pray) that I get to keep doing it for many more years, and after all that... I fervently hope that my progeny gets to enjoy those same freedoms.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/10/24 09:09 AM.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you kidding me????
A .30-06 could successfully harvest everything on this planet.
Surprisingly, I don’t think I’ve ever owned one yet I have three or four dozen other calibers of loading dies.
I think you’re missing the point!
I will certainly agree you could get by on one gun, but to think you would need a light one and a heavy one might be the most superfluous statement of all!

Sidelock
Sidelock

"a 410 has no place on the game field"...

unless one has little or no compassion for the wounded bird...

the above quote is from lord know it all, October 12, 1899...

Last edited by ed good; 04/10/24 09:29 AM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ed: This isn't a screed against the .410, you're just looking for a fight.

Marks 21: I'm not arguing for needing only one gun, I'm saying that for pure efficiency (at least in the way I mostly hunt & shoot now) a 2-gun system would work very well for me. Realizing that will allow me to focus my time, efforts (& resources) in those areas.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/10/24 09:48 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
"a 410 has no place on the game field"...

the above quote is from lord know it all, October 12, 1899...

"Steel shot has no place on the game field"...

A more modern updated version of the quote . The current issue is FAR worse IMO as the advocacy for wounded birds (the use of steel shot) is MANDATED by law whereas the use of a .410 would be purely optional.

Last edited by Licensed to kill; 04/10/24 10:06 AM.
2 members like this: keith, Jtplumb
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I had to pick one gauge and one gun, it would be a 12 gauge Winchester 1897, simply because that's the shotgun I am most familiar and comfortable with.

Fortunately I'm not restricted to one gauge or gun and I've bought 16 gauge & 10 gauge shotguns because I wanted to. In the case of 16 gauges I've bought them because they were interesting and significantly less expensive than a comparable 12 gauge. I don't expect to buy a 20, 28 or .410, but if I come across a really nice 20, 28 or .410 I might change my mind if the price is right.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting choice, Chantry.i have one in my hands right now.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Mike Harrell
Lloyd using your logic on a heavy 12 instead of a 10 can also be used for a 16 vs a light 12. lol

I think you got it almost right. A heavy 12 and a light 16 is, in my mind, the perfect two gun battery. A 6# max 16 is the perfect upland gun. The patterning of a 16 with 3/4 to 7/8 shot loads is a thing of beauty and simply outshines a 20. I have a late production NID with well struck barrels and is likely the last gun I would ever sell (and, if memory serves, the one I have owned the longest; 51 years).

Last edited by AGS; 04/10/24 10:52 AM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.