April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (SKB, Stanton Hillis, Der Ami, 3 invisible), 417 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If anyone knows of good Ruger Gold Label SxS gunsmith, please let me know .... Thank you in advance!

RWG Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just curious. Why not send it back to Ruger?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ruger won't take in the Gold Label and certain Red Labels for repair. They told me they have no parts for the Gold Label, even though my Gold Label looks like all parts are intact and unbroken. It's just that the left black ejector rod inside the receiver is "sticking" and won't throw out the left shell. I tried WD-40 but it didn't help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have crossed Ruger off my list of guns I would buy or own if that is the case.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
I have crossed Ruger off my list of guns I would buy or own if that is the case.

I don't look at it like that. I have owned Parker, LC Smith, Ithaca, Parker Reproduction and Remington doubles & more, and they don't have a "factory" to make repairs. I just know that there are competent gunsmiths out there that have worked on the Gold Label. I just need to find one or two.

1 member likes this: DoubleTake
Boxlock
Boxlock

I needed a hammer repair on my Gold Label, the tab on the casting for the ejector rod broke off and I sent it to Jack Huntington.
https://www.jrhadvancedgunsmithing.com/
He did a fantastic job repairing it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ruger should have stayed in the business that they know best that is rifle & handguns

John
Arrieta

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Being out of production or even if the factory is closed forever, like Remington and several others, does not mean you should not buy them. The failure rate of these guns is very low. Their designs are well understood so there is no mystery how to repair them. Parts can be made or repaired so that is not that big of a deal. The real limiting factor to me is that we have so few good gun smiths and many of them are backed up with work. Gold and Red Labels did have a few issues with the barrels, but that is another matter. Just because you can fix a gun, sometimes it does not make sense to pour money into it. I already have that tee shirt and might be about to pay for another.

I am looking at buying a Young Repeating Arms shotgun which was made in 1902, factory was 1901-1903, so they are a rare gun. They are a push forwards, two shot, pump repeater. Problem is this gun needs to be sleeved by UK rules. I looked into a proof exempt certificate, but that is a non starter. If it is out of proof, I can not buy it and get it sent in for reproof. So my two choices are to buy it, cut for sleeving, with a chunk cut out of the barrel, or have it deactivated, with two slots cut in the barrel. Neither choice is good to me. Or just keep waiting for another one to come along. They made almost 300 of them am told.

I do not think that is going to be an easy to sleeve gun because of its design. Everything rides on the barrel under works and action which covers about ten inches of the barrel. No easy sleeve joint 4-6" down the barrel. I have two feelers out to people who might be able to see about sleeving as a option. But I am afraid the numbers just will not work out. Rare, does not mean valuable in this case. At best this is a gun worth $1,500-2,000. I could spend that much just getting it purchased and sleeved, then more to import.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.