May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (bsteele), 743 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,638
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25
Sidelock
Sidelock

So here we be.

You can have an argument that has merit. I think that no tox for waterfowl has that. Ducks are not Pheasants, are not Grouse, are not targets. Different needs as far as protecting anything related. The game, the environment, the kiddies. To ban lead for upland hunting is not necessary, period. The upland bird feeds wholly different than waterfowl. Lead is very stable and naturally present in quantity in a lot of places. Just don't pulverize it or vaporize and breath it you'll be fine. It will just lie there. And if you eat a bit I'm sure you'll survive it unharmed!

Why then are the only carrion eaters that get airplay Eagles? Do not Crows and Vultures eat gut piles? Are they suffering?

The problem is that once an idea, which might have merit takes hold someone with an agenda will pick up the ball so to speak and push forward, with their own agenda. Someone like the aforementioned Jen.

Chief

Last edited by ChiefAmungum; 03/18/24 05:19 PM.
3 members like this: Imperdix, Ted Schefelbein, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Larry,
The law, as it is being painted by the left here in Minnesota, would force ranges to switch to non toxic, and force citizens to turn in their lead shot.
At this point, it is not a debate about shot material, to me.

Best,
Ted

Ted--Sounds like MN is continuing to march in the direction suggested by their Nontox Advisory Committee a number of years ago. Forcing ranges to go nontox makes no sense at all . . . unless they're dropping shot into a wetland or something like that. As someone previously said, that lead isn't going anywhere, and birds are unlikely to ingest it.

If you Sotans are forced to turn in your lead shot, I'm sure we can round up neighbors from WI, IA, and the Dakotas who will at least drive over and pay you for it.

1 member likes this: Jimmy W
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ChiefAmungum
So here we be.

You can have an argument that has merit. I think that no tox for waterfowl has that. Ducks are not Pheasants, are not Grouse, are not targets. Different needs as far as protecting anything related. The game, the environment, the kiddies. To ban lead for upland hunting is not necessary, period. The upland bird feeds wholly different than waterfowl. Lead is very stable and naturally present in quantity in a lot of places. Just don't pulverize it or vaporize and breath it you'll be fine. It will just lie there. And if you eat a bit I'm sure you'll survive it unharmed!

Why then are the only carrion eaters that get airplay Eagles? Do not Crows and Vultures eat gut piles? Are they suffering?

The problem is that once an idea, which might have merit takes hold someone with an agenda will pick up the ball so to speak and push forward, with their own agenda. Someone like the aforementioned Jen.

Chief

Chief: Unlike eagles, crows and vultures don't have fan clubs. We now have eagles a lot of places where we hadn't had them for a long time. Their recovery is a real success story for wildlife management. Between banning DDT and the nontox requirement for waterfowl hunting, we've pretty much solved the eagle problem. If you see a dead deer along a road in Wisconsin, you're likely to find an eagle cleaning it up. During gun deer season in particular, it's possible that some of those eagles will ingest bullet fragments from deer that were wounded by hunters but not recovered. But I don't think that's a major concern. Far less likely, I think, that an eagle is very likely to feast on a crippled pheasant or grouse and ingest lead shot as a result.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown
So here we be.

Chief

Chief: Unlike eagles, crows and vultures don't have fan clubs. We now have eagles a lot of places where we hadn't had them for a long time. Their recovery is a real success story for wildlife management. Between banning DDT and the nontox requirement for waterfowl hunting, we've pretty much solved the eagle problem. If you see a dead deer along a road in Wisconsin, you're likely to find an eagle cleaning it up. During gun deer season in particular, it's possible that some of those eagles will ingest bullet fragments from deer that were wounded by hunters but not recovered. But I don't think that's a major concern. Far less likely, I think, that an eagle is very likely to feast on a crippled pheasant or grouse and ingest lead shot as a result.

Larry, I think you have to go back to the question of whether lead ingested from other non-waterfowl game has a population level effect on eagles. It is unquestionable that gutpile lead kills eagles. That's not debatable. What is important is whether that has a significant effect on abundances and densities. Clearly, eagle populations have been dramatically successful at increasing in the face of lead-laced carcasses. That is the key point.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Everything is debatable.

Unless, it is a leftist, cherished, demigod, say, a wind turbine, or, a thousand of them. It is undebatable, with them, to point out the hypocrisy of the things chopping up birds of any and all descriptions, including birds of prey, while they fetter about, wringing their hands over all things lead.

Those are the only things that are “undebatable.

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: John Roberts, ChiefAmungum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Everything is debatable.

Unless, it is a leftist, cherished, demigod, say, a wind turbine, or, a thousand of them. It is undebatable, with them, to point out the hypocrisy of the things chopping up birds of any and all descriptions, including birds of prey, while they fetter about, wringing their hands over all things lead.

Those are the only things that are “undebatable.

Best,
Ted

Ted, you've lost your grip on reality, sadly.

6:30 and you are already well into your cups of bitterness.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only with the idiots.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Update! Pure copper is on the approved no tox list. Well pure copper plus a corrosion inhibitor that is. Look here, https://www.fws.gov/story/2022-04/nontoxic-shot-regulations-hunting-waterfowl-and-coots-us. and here, https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/ammo/nontoxic.html.

Representing pure copper shot in various size shot, 12 and 20. Not for the classics though. https://europarm.fr/fr/store/sscategorie2-955-Cartouches-grenaille-sans-plomb-bourre-jupe?store_products=1&svc_20%5B%5D=41. If you can get them here...

Hi Col. Of course crows and vultures are subject to lead poisoning. You're correct in that they do not have a following. Now California Condors now they have some great P.R. folks!

To Brent's point. The total population of crows, vultures and eagles seam to be taking it, lead, in stride.

Chief

Sidelock
Sidelock

Update! Pure copper is on the approved no tox list. Well pure copper plus a corrosion inhibitor that is. Look here, https://www.fws.gov/story/2022-04/nontoxic-shot-regulations-hunting-waterfowl-and-coots-us. and here, https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/ammo/nontoxic.html.

Representing pure copper shot in various size shot, 12 and 20. Not for the classics though. https://europarm.fr/fr/store/sscategorie2-955-Cartouches-grenaille-sans-plomb-bourre-jupe?store_products=1&svc_20%5B%5D=41. If you can get them here...

Hi Col. Of course crows and vultures are subject to lead poisoning. You're correct in that they do not have a following. Now California Condors now they have some great P.R. folks!

To Brent's point. The total population of crows, vultures and eagles seam to be taking it, lead, in stride.

Chief

Actually, crow populations are really tumbling around here. In fact the decline has been stunning. I doubt it has anything to do with lead, however. More likely West Nile.

In any event, turn the discussion of nontox back to population dynamics, where it belongs. The effect of nontox on waterfowl populations was huge. Arguing about whether eagles die because of gutpiles is a losing argument by itself. They do. It just does not matter in the larger scheme of things.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, No shortage here, want a few? They'll bounce back.

In case you missed it I think no tox for waterfowl has a good case going. In fact my whole dissatisfaction with the get the lead out movement has much more to do with unnecessary restrictions that you, yourself just alluded to. Is lead causing a decline in populations other than waterfowl. Or are those populations coping. I think they are.

Then you have the anti shooting/hunting crusaders that have found some leverage in our government. I truly believe that even if the perfect no tox alternative to lead is produced that agenda will remain active.

Chief

2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, SKB
Page 11 of 25 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.