April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (NCTarheel, CJF, LeFusil, campero, FelixD, Stanton Hillis), 987 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,183
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#643227 02/27/24 04:20 PM
AGS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I finally managed to take some pictures of the Belgian Hammer gun I bought in the Guyette&Deeter auction. Here are some of the pictures.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I had several questions about the gun. No manufaturer or marketer shown on the gun except the barrel inscription. Anyone have an idea of who sold it? Rib I believe says "Tight Gun Patent Treble Bolt ". I would suspect it was sold through an American retailer since the inscription is in English. I did mention in the original post that the only marks on the gun were "JN" stamped inside the locks. Drew responded with a maker using that mark but I don't believe he marketed the gun.
I am puzzled by the 12 C in Diamond mark which looks like an English designation, but I see no English proof.

The gun was sold as an antique, but to me it looks like it might be later. I have another hammer Belgian gun that is like new which is of similar build and look that I dated to the early to mid 20's. I am going to log it into my C&R because I don't have a firm date. Does anyone see a date code here? I think the ELG form used didn't start until around 1893, so it has to be on the borderline.

The gun was described as having "American Flag" damascus. I found more references to "Stars and Stripes" but know very little about that pattern and want to inquire as to the correct pattern name.

All in all it appears to be a nice grade of gun (not high grade of course, but well built, neat and serviceable). Relatively light weight and good dimensions. Functions perfectly with light, crisp triggers. Bores measure consistent with the original barrel stamps and choke in the left barrel agrees with the stamp. Right barrel is completely open as stamped. Bores have no marks and are shiny and new looking. Buttplate is horn.

All in all it seemed like a nice hammer 12 gauge for general hunting for $500 bid.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by AGS; 02/27/24 04:30 PM.
3 members like this: campero, Parabola, Hammergun
Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels are indeed 3 Iron "American Flag", found on Ithaca Lewis, Minier and Flues Grade 4s and occasionally on other U.S. maker's barrels.

It can definitively be dated by the muzzle over bore dimensions to 1910 to 1921 (there is no lettre annale); probably immediately pre-WWI
The 12 in a diamond was used until 1924
It does not carry Smokeless Powder proof which is not uncommon on guns intended for the U.S. market, and for which there was an additional charge at the Proof House

Very tight 12g bores at 18.0 mm = .709". IF there is choke on the R it is < .008". L 17.4 = .685" so choke .024"
What are the bores now?

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The upper 3 letters I believe are JDH which we've found on Lefever G & F grades with damascus barrels. Unfortunately we don't know the identity of that tube maker
The lower mark may be PJ? FJ? What do you think? Maybe chalk it?

BTW the JN may be the lockmaker who worked from home.

AGS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info. The date was sort of in the range I was expecting. The proofs seem to make it a tight fit to be under the antique limit. I found it odd that they just sold it on the presumption of age.

When I first posted you had thought the maker might be J. Noisette. I would have expected the maker to stamp more than the locks, however.

The barrels are very close to the bore stampings. By my measurement they are about .715 and .713. The chokes as I measured are .003 and .024. The gun is very lightweight at 5# 12oz. Wall thisckness is good. I load a 12 ga 7/8 load at only 4800 psi tested that yields 1145 and should make a great light 12 gauge upland lgun.

I will take a hard look at the 3 letters but they are really kind of blurred.

The link to the completed auction is:

https://bid.guyetteanddeeter.com/lo...-bore-hammer-shotgun-by-an-unknown-maker

Prices in the past auctions include fees and premiums.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice Damascus! That should make a darn fine upland hammer gun and for a very reasonable price. The weight, dimensions and chokes sound about perfect for such use. The advert doesn't mention if it is rebounding or not (non-rebounders are easier to cock in a hurry). Also, the rib extension has what looks to be a repair(?) but that could be just how it was engraved.

Don't be afraid to use it.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/28/24 11:32 AM.
2 members like this: campero, Parabola
AGS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Nice Damascus! That should make a darn fine upland hammer gun and for a very reasonable price. The weight, dimensions and chokes sound about perfect for such use. The advert doesn't mention if it is rebounding or not (non-rebounders are easier to cock in a hurry). Also, the rib extension has what looks to be a repair(?) but that could be just how it was engraved.

Don't be afraid to use it.

I thought the same when I first examined it but after removing the barrels and examining it, there are no repairs. Just some oddity of the engraving with a groove delineating the rib from the extension.

The locks are rebounding. You can see the offset between the hammers and firing pins in the pictures.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You scored on that one! Fine looking SXS!

Longknife

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.