April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (KDGJ, Jtplumb, battle, AaronN, smlekid), 458 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't attended a gunshow in a long time now and, for all the usual reasons. But, I was just dragooned into attending the Colorado Collector's Show here next Spring (it's now held up north in Greeley, CO, well away from !@#*%&! Denver) as a buddy of mine needs some help disbursing a number of inherited guns he's been dealing with. Like me, his tastes have evolved over the years (as well as his needs) and he's got some nicer stuff that he'll likely never use (a lot of WWII stuff IIRC). I suppose that I too should consider my battery and see if I have a few old soldiers that need new homes. I suspect that I'll mostly be there as a "babysitter", but you never know. In Colorado, it's been described as the "last good show".

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/22/24 09:16 AM.
4 members like this: FallCreekFan, Ted Schefelbein, dogon, SKB
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I guess it depends on what you collect. For me I don't really find much at shows here. The best chance I would have is at the Baltimore show. Almost everything I buy I find online, and primarily at auctions in Europe.

I just went to the Birmingham Antique Arms Fair a week ago and it was pretty good. I would definitely go there again if I were ever in the UK at the time.

I still like the Baltimore show.

The TGCA shows are getting better and better and bigger again but still 75% Colt and Winchester.

The Indian Territory Antique And Collector Arms Show is pretty good.

20% of Tulsa is decent and that 20% is still bigger than most other shows. For me it is not a must-go-to-show though.

Vegas is only ok.

I have been enjoying the American Society of Arms Collectors shows.

And a couple of the Civil War shows like Ohio and Middle Tennessee specifically are decent for even non-Civil-War-related antique guns.

Last edited by AaronN; 02/25/24 11:27 PM.

Clock Guns, Pauly Guns, Pinfire Guns and Pinfire Cartridges
Sidelock
Sidelock

So, how was the Louisville show? Did anybody go? It used to be the biggest show east of the Mississippi River. But I don't know anymore. I was just wondering if anybody went.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The main reason I go to gun shows is to see friends in person. If it were just for shooting, I can do that 10 minutes from my home. If I am looking to buy something, I can do it online from anywhere.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All of you should think positive, as bad as it is for most of you, it's even worse in the Northeast.

CT has had one antique gun show recently, which was mostly Civil War stuff. Only 300-400 tables at most and I was in and out in 30 minutes
RI hasn't had a gun show as long as I can remember.
NY Nearest one is 2 hours and background checks are now required on ammo and antique guns and I doubt they'll sell to out of state residents simply to CYA
MA Same group puts on shows at three or four locations, but's pretty much the same vendors. I know I can't buy loaded ammo or anything made after 1/1/1898 without transferring it to a CT dealer. Even if selling an antique gun to a non-resident of MA, like NY I doubt they'll sell to out of state residents simply to CYA and I can't blame them.

It isn't worth the hassle or money or potential criminal charges to sell to a person if there is even the slightest chance of the state law enforcement agencies or ATF getting involved.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Mills
The main reason I go to gun shows is to see friends in person. If it were just for shooting, I can do that 10 minutes from my home. If I am looking to buy something, I can do it online from anywhere.

I still attend Gun Shows, but not as often as I once did. There is no question that most have become smaller over time, prices are higher, admission costs are higher, and we see less guns and gun related content. I've only been to a few that restricted content, and kept out the jerky and Indian Jewelery crap.

I don't go specifically to see friends or to visit, but I frequently do see and speak to shooting friends. When I can find and buy a rifle or shotgun at a Gun Show in my own state, I can examine the gun up close and personal. Then I can make my deal and buy it without sales tax or background check fees. (Background Checks are required for handguns in my state, but in neighboring Ohio, legal adult residents only need to show their I.D. to the seller... as it should be) Then I can immediately take my gun home without any shipping costs or fear of shipping loss or damage.

The last gun show I attended a few weeks ago was only around 120 to 150 tables. I didn't buy any guns, but I got some great deals, and was glad I went. I bought a .36 cal 43 inch long octagon barrel in excellent condition for a whole $10.00. I have a small Siler flintlock, and now I am one major step closer to building a .36 cal squirrel rifle. I bought several pounds of powder, Hogdons H 375, Red Dot, and WC 846 for less than half of retail. A brand new S06-A3 Timney Trigger for a whole $5.00. 2 boxes of Hornady and Speer .490" round balls for $4.00 each. A box of .433" Speer round balls for $3.00. 2 tins of # 11 percussion caps for a buck each. 3 muzzleloading short starters for $2.00. A Garmin E-Trex GPS with all manuals and accessories for $15.00.

I also bought a box of .32 S&W Long ammo, and at least 20 pounds of assorted bullets including two boxes of 300 gr. Hornady .45-70 bullets that are no longer available, some .380 pistol bullets, 500 Winchester 55 gr. .224 cal. bullets, and two Saeco bullet sizer dies I needed. I think the cost for almost all of these items was less than I would have paid for shipping alone if I had searched and bought them online. The only non-gun related item I bought was a 3 ton snatch block. At $10.00, it was also cheaper than any online price. While I was carrying a heavy armload of bullets, the .36 cal. barrel, and other items to my truck, I saw a full brick of 209 primers for $45.00 and a large bag that appeared to be around 500 .357" jacketed flat nose pistol bullets for $25.00. Like a fool, I didn't pay for them and ask the vendor to hold them, and they were gone when I got back a few minutes later.

Gun shows aren't what they used to be, but I still manage to find some great buys, especially in these times of ammo and component shortages and Biden-flation. The next Show at this venue will be in April, and I plan to be there to find some more goodies. Much of the increased demand for Black Rifles is due to the well justified fear that anti-gun Democrats will ban them. The additional restrictions, higher costs, and outright bans on Gun Shows are almost universally due to the efforts of anti-gun Democrats, so it continues to amaze me that any gun owner with an ounce of brains would support or vote for them. Biden failed to deliver on his promise of a cure for cancer (Why don't Republicans ever mention that?). We need a cure for cancer, but what we really need most is a cure for Stupidity.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I still go. One never knows what will land on someone's table.
Last week, a 95%+ Weaver K2.5, post-and-crosshair for $30.
A couple weeks ago, at a small (maybe 25 table) gun club gun show I got a factory sealed 14 ounce pound of Clays for $20. 12 ga buckshot shells, .25 each.
A couple weeks before that, factory sealed 1# cans of PB and 800X, $50 the pair. Guy threw in 2 boxes of once-fired 16 ga Federal papers (purple!).
Last year, a Page-Lewis model C "Olympic" .22 in great used-but-not-abused shape for $150. (Looking for their proprietary tang sight, BTW.) Shoots great, looks better.

It's worth it to go, to see friends and acquaintances, to help the small merchants survive (you do realize the last 4 years have been an extended exercise in both de-kulak-ization and creation of a landless proletariat, don't you?), keep the venues open, and stock up.
And I got a nice sheath knife, the kind people would get and give for Christmas years ago, for $9.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I've never been to the Baltimore Antique Arms Show though it is only an hour+ away. I know several posters on this board go there or show there. I think I'll drive up on Saturday the 16th and just wander around; I bought my first SxS at a gun-show at Dulles in 2015. Just want to look and palaver. But, you never know.

Last edited by Argo44; 02/29/24 10:00 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought about starting my own table and going into the leather covered pad business. I have gotten pretty good at it over the years and I could turn it into a nice hobby. đź‘Ť

Last edited by Jimmy W; 03/01/24 12:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use to go to the Vegas show every year, but have not for about 10 years. The guy that I know that still go said not like it was years ago. I was lucky I was going at the right time.

John
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.