Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Longknife #642456 02/14/24 01:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Send it back unless you just have to have it.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Longknife #642465 02/14/24 02:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Longknife
Dan I would like that info. Jimmy, I am pretty sure I know all the procedures for laying rib, but I have never had the guts to try it??. Maybe a good time to learn!
Maybe if you got an old broken down clunker and practiced. Take it off and put it back on and few times. Most of us would probably never have the chance to do it. I have done a lot of soldering in my lifetime. I solder things all the time. Years ago I worked in an automotive electric shop and have soldered big truck starter armatures, coils and alternator rotors and stators using a large soldering iron. The secret is the flux. You have to have that. Now days I just use a soldering gun around the house for smaller things. It would be neat if you could learn how to do that. It would be a unique business. Good luck.

Longknife #642569 02/15/24 06:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've been following this thread because I have been interested in learning the process of relaying ribs. I guess that I've been lucky that I haven't bought any guns that need a full strip and re-lay. Thus far, the most I have done is a fairly easy repair of a Baker Batavia Leader that had a loose top rib near the muzzles. Only about a 3 1/2" section was loose, and I didn't want to make it worse, even though it was an inexpensive field grade gun. A pro probably would have charged more than I paid for the whole gun, so it was a no-brainer to do it myself. Fortunately, I was able to get some thin emery paper between the loose rib section and barrels to get the old joint nice and clean. I did not have to re-tin the area where the rib separated from the barrels, and was able to make the relatively small repair with rosin flux, 50-50 solder, and a large old soldering iron. I learned that a common graphite pencil will help to keep solder from sticking to places where you don't want it to stick, which made clean-up easier.

A few years ago, I bought several SxS barrels from a local gun parts dealer to use for practice on rib relaying and also for testing different rust bluing processes. So far, I have not made the time to try removing and then resoldering any ribs. From what I have read on the subject, it would not be advisable to attempt this job without doing some research followed by serious practice on junk barrels. There is a lot that could go wrong. Soldering isn't rocket science, but there is a fair amount of preparation work and set up involved. Then there is a fair amount of labor involved in removing excess solder from the barrels, and then refinishing. I can see why a pro might charge upwards of $1000.00, but it is probably a fairly profitable job for those who have gone through the learning curve. I kept this old Thread from ChuckH where he showed us how he did it. Chuck was very modest about doing the job, but from reading his posts over the years, he is no rookie when it comes to mechanical skills and knowledge. This wasn't his first rodeo:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=76255&page=1

The post from crossedchisels where he told us how badly his attempts at rib relaying went is worth reading twice, at least. Somewhere, I also have a photo of the very nice jig that Dewey Vicknair built to properly hold barrels and ribs in position during the jointing and rib laying process. Something like that would likely save a lot of time for a gunsmith who would be doing this job on a regular basis.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Longknife #642815 02/19/24 10:43 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I want to thank everyone for their help, it is much appreciated!,,,,,LK

Longknife
Longknife #642832 02/19/24 12:33 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I suspect in the trade there are only a few who tackle this job but not many. You might do one job well and the next come out looking like a dogs breakfast. Do 50 of them and I bet the last ten are all perfect. It is the learning curve which somebody has to endure and pay for. I had to replace two engraved screws and decided to engrave them myself. I had two screws to finish but used over a dozen screws to practice on first. Had I’d gone directly to the two I needed they would have looked like that dogs breakfast. But with a bit of learning they came out well.

Longknife #642833 02/19/24 01:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

as a long shot...try...

-Gunter Pfrommer in va 540-484-5555...

-Bill Schwartz in ga 706-276-7668...

let us know what they say...

Last edited by ed good; 02/19/24 01:01 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.