April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gunning Bird, Fudd, Jtplumb, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 482 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,159
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#641642 02/01/24 01:46 PM
AGS Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was just cleaning up my computer drive and found some pictures of a gun I used to own. I posted pictures on the Parker board but then thought they may be of more interested here. I sold the gun about 5 years ago but just realized I had these pictures. Unfortunately I don't have any full length pictures. It is a Collath with very ornate engraving inlaying and horn work. It is the highest grade Collath I have ever seen. The sliding/dropping action and the safety are typical Collath. It was chambered in what I believe is named the Collath 14, which is a proprietary round with a 14 ga bore and a roughly 12 ga chamber. This is the most unique set of damascus barrels I have seen as to configuration. The bone work is also pretty incredible.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by AGS; 02/01/24 01:47 PM.
3 members like this: campero, Jtplumb, earlyriser
AGS #641644 02/01/24 01:58 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow incredible craftmanship.

AGS #641648 02/01/24 03:48 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Incredible gun! I haven't seen one similar before.

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
AGS #641687 02/03/24 12:02 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by AGS
I was just cleaning up my computer drive and found some pictures of a gun I used to own.

...used to own??? I'd have a very hard time parting with something like that, even if I couldn't shoot it.

I'm curious about the line we see on both sides of the frame, just behind the breech balls from the point of the scalloped frame, that extends upward to the top of the frame to where a rib extension might be.

The shop of an old German gunsmith who lived not far from my parents, when I was a kid, had piles of guns that looked similar to this Collath, with extensive deep relief engraving, inlays, carved horn and wood. He had incredible stuff that rivaled anything I've ever seen in any firearms museum or collection. He told me that he had been an armorer in the German army during WWII, and part of his job was to remove and burn the wood stocks from guns that were confiscated by the Nazi's. Then he was supposed to crush the breech section so they could not be recaptured and used. Then the crushed guns were sent back to Germany where they were melted as scrap for the war effort. In broken English, he told me, "Oh I crush a lot of very nice guns... but really nice ones, I stash. And after the war, I come to United States, and my brother smuggle them here to me." I wish he was still alive, so I could see them again, and so I could ask how he managed to hide and save them until after the war, and how he was able to smuggle such a huge quantity of guns into the U.S.

I'll probably get called a Nazi again for repeating this here, but somehow, I'll manage to survive. The DGS Cancel Culture hasn't cancelled me yet.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

AGS #641711 02/03/24 01:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own several Collath guns and they are of very high quality. Most of mine are in 16 gauge or its equivalent. I do have one in 14 gauge which I shoot regularly with black powder and also smokeless with 28 gauge inserts.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.