April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (PALUNC, gunmaker, graybeardtmm3, LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 422 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,217
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#641498 01/29/24 07:38 PM
Reidy Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have a late 1940's box lock Boswell 12g double gun that has become very slightly loose in the action. Holding the gun by the stock with or without the forend in position and shaking it from side to side creates a little movement between the chamber face and breech face. I've held the gun up to a fluorescent light and cannot see any light coming through the join between the breech face and barrels.

My gun has a fixed hinge pin that can't be replaced. Another alternative that I've read about is laser welding of the hook that fits around the hinge pin to build this area up. I've also been told by a reputable source that if laser welding is done, within about 3 months of use the gun will work loose again at this point and isn't recommended.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Reidy, I cannot imagine a gun working loose after three months of casual shooting after having been laser welded and rejointed, though I have never had it done. I have a Hollis that I plan to have welded, and will rejoint myself. I will have the hook micro-tig welded, as opposed to laser welded, but welding is welding. Both processes are applying a very thin layer of steel to the worn area, then removing until there is a like new fit.

I'll be interested to hear other's experiences, and comments. Especially those of actual gunsmiths, like Steve. Great question.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Laser welding was coming into common use around the time I retired so have had very little experience of it .
The success of any welding will depend on the welder and the material use as a filler ,for this a low carbon such as En8 .
With solid pin guns its always worth checking the hinge/joint pin has not worn oval and may need to be dresses back to concentricity first .

2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, LeFusil
Sidelock
Sidelock

This might help.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here we go!

2 members like this: LeFusil, mc
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

If a new joint pin cannot be made….

I use laser welding. I can specify exactly how much material that needs to be added into a specific area, it seriously cuts down on the time it takes to get the barrels back down onto the action. I have not had any issues with the laser welding material not holding up. I have a Lancaster that was put back on the face 13 years ago by laser welding. It’s had thousands of rounds through it since then (it was used for a decade as my main hunting & clays gun). It’s still smack on the face.
I recently rejointed a Churchill by using the same method and am sure it’ll wear exactly like the Lancaster. The difference between laser welding and Tig welding is the amount of heat subjected to the lump. Laser welding is a much cooler, much more precise process IMO. My laser welding guy goes about this in a scientific way to include his knowledge of specific metallurgy.
I would not take a set of barrels to a jewelry store (jewelry stores often have a laser welder) and ask them to laser weld a hook. I don’t think they are quite as precise as a laser welder who welds for the aerospace & nuclear industries.

One of the things I’ve noticed about the old technique of spray welding is that the material used is so damn hard, you HAVE to use diamond coated files to work the barrels down. I think that’s why some fixed joint pins would start to concave, because the spray weld material is so damn hard. I have no proof of that, just a theory.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mark
Here we go!
AHHHHHHHHHH!
Never been able to watch one of these videos all the way through without screaming .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
If a new joint pin cannot be made….

I use laser welding. I can specify exactly how much material that needs to be added into a specific area, it seriously cuts down on the time it takes to get the barrels back down onto the action. I have not had any issues with the laser welding material not holding up. I have a Lancaster that was put back on the face 13 years ago by laser welding. It’s had thousands of rounds through it since then (it was used for a decade as my main hunting & clays gun). It’s still smack on the face.
I recently rejointed a Churchill by using the same method and am sure it’ll wear exactly like the Lancaster. The difference between laser welding and Tig welding is the amount of heat subjected to the lump. Laser welding is a much cooler, much more precise process IMO. My laser welding guy goes about this in a scientific way to include his knowledge of specific metallurgy.
I would not take a set of barrels to a jewelry store (jewelry stores often have a laser welder) and ask them to laser weld a hook. I don’t think they are quite as precise as a laser welder who welds for the aerospace & nuclear industries.

One of the things I’ve noticed about the old technique of spray welding is that the material used is so damn hard, you HAVE to use diamond coated files to work the barrels down. I think that’s why some fixed joint pins would start to concave, because the spray weld material is so damn hard. I have no proof of that, just a theory.
I used spray welding to good effect in the past . All depends on the spray medium as some can be very hard so I had to be careful to make sure I had the right bottle on .

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by gunman
Here we go!
AHHHHHHHHHH!
Never been able to watch one of these videos all the way through without screaming .

In defense of old Jack, when he was trained there was no TIG or laser welding so he had to be a bit of a blacksmith. His techniques seem crude and certainly aren't best practice now but they do work. I've used them. Some people have little money and some guns aren't worth spending much money to fix. I'm glad Larry Potterfield documented the old way. Didn't we go through all this about six weeks ago?

2 members like this: FelixD, mc
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Hammergun
Originally Posted by gunman
Here we go!
AHHHHHHHHHH!

In defense of old Jack, when he was trained there was no TIG or laser welding so he had to be a bit of a blacksmith. His techniques seem crude and certainly aren't best practice now but they do work. I've used them. Some people have little money and some guns aren't worth spending much money to fix. I'm glad Larry Potterfield documented the old way. Didn't we go through all this about six weeks ago?

Yea, we did.

At that time, I referenced the DGJ article on the Nitro Special guns, and the author who got the very well worn 12 gauge in about 1964, that was loose, who then fixed it with a little piece of .004 brass shim stock betwixt the lump and the pin, who then used it for 30 seasons or so as his duck gun, with hot 2 3/4” loads. The gun was then sold to a guy who was told about the repair, and who proceeded to do the exact same thing with it for a few more decades. It might still be in use with that $1.00 repair. It wasn’t loose when he sold it.

I guess, if I had a low end gun that was loose, I’d do the shim thing before beating the lump with a punch. In the meantime, I do put a little smear of Mobilegrease 28 on the hook of every double I own, hoping to keep the wiggle away.

Except the Darnes. They don’t get loose.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.