April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hugh Lomas, barrel browner, Ducks Rx, Roundsworth, LGF, graybeardtmm3), 450 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,478
Posts545,199
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the absence of low pressure reloads there is at least one commercially available load that I would not hesitate using in it continually. That is the B & P Comp One load, a 1 oz. load that has chamber pressure in the lower 8000 psi range, as I recall. Very mild recoil and velocity listed at 1160 which, IMHO, may be very nearly the perfect velocity for best patterning of target and upland birds. For even less stress on the old wood they offer a 7/8 oz. load as well.

https://baschieri-pellagriusa.com/competition/competition-one/

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

May God bless America and those who defend her.
4 members like this: Tim Cartmell, John Roberts, Ted Schefelbein, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun was made for the progressive burning smokeless powder, high velocity, 12-gauge 3-inch shell with 1 3/8-ounce of shot --

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 1 5/8-ounce, 12-gauge, 3-inch magnum load came out in 1935 along with the Winchester Model 12 Heavy Duck.

1 member likes this: David Williamson
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A few years back when I was editor of the L.C. Smith Journal, Dr. Drew Hause and Dr. Jim Stubbendieck were writing an article about the so called merits of the Longrange 3" chammbered guns. When the Longrange first came out Hunter Arms stated it was good at 80 yards and had a advertisement stating that. They wanted to see if there was truth to it. I had a Longrange 3" and said I would try to duplicate the load used then, after some research I used a new Winchester 3" hull with 41.5 grains Blue Dot, Winchester 209 primer, Winchester WAA12SL wad with 1 3/8 oz. of #5 I believe. I used my range finder and set the target up and used my truck's hood as a rest. At 80 yards the picture of the duck in the 30" circle looked the size of a sparrow. Fired the right barrel first, choked at .041 constriction and walked up and counted the pellets in the 30" circle, I can't remember how many there were but only one pellet went through the wing. Second barrel .041 constirction put two in the body, probably would kill him but not right away. At 80 yards you would have to have some great eyes to see what kind of duck, but back then I don't know if there were limits. I believe it was hyperbole by Hunter Arms.
By the way, I only fired two shells and that was enough for me, this was in summer and with just a tee shirt you can imagine the recoil felt. 32" barrels.

If Brother Drew sees this I'm sure he has some of the pictures used in the article, I can't remember which Journal it was in.

Last edited by David Williamson; 01/27/24 01:15 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Drew is in Guatemala at the missions now. He'll be back in a few days. The reports sound like it's been hard tiring trip.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan,
Is that an Iver Johnson in your photo? The shape and pin locations look like an Iver Johnson. If so, it appears to be in great shape, perhaps refinished?

Larry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by earlyriser
Stan,
Is that an Iver Johnson in your photo? The shape and pin locations look like an Iver Johnson. If so, it appears to be in great shape, perhaps refinished?

Larry
It is Larry. It's an I. J. Special Trap. 32" full choked barrel. It was the only SBT made in America with an external hammer. I've got another I need to restore. I've got new wood semi-inletted for it.

Cool old poor man's trap gun. That one may have been refinished but if so it was a long, long time ago.

Edited to add: The 1931 Iver Johnson catalog listed it at $16.00 retail.

Last edited by Stanton Hillis; 01/28/24 07:54 AM.

2 members like this: earlyriser, 67galaxie
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Borderbill
Drew is in Guatemala at the missions now. He'll be back in a few days. The reports sound like it's been hard tiring trip.

Thanks that is why I haven't seen any posts from him on here or on the L.C. Smith forum.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Borderbill

I'd imagine the hardest thing for the Preacher is finding people in Guatemala... since most of them are being lured by the anti-gun Democrat Joe Biden to illegally enter the U.S., at our expense. And you all wondered where those Trillions of "Build Back Better" dollars went.

He might find it far easier and less tiring to just become a Chaplain in the Texas National Guard. Then he could preach to Guatemalans, Hondurans, Venezuelans, Nicaraguans, Columbians, Bolivians, Syrians, and even Chinese illegals. And he won't have to give any immunization shots, since the illegals don't appear to be required to have the same vaccines as any young natural born U.S. citizens entering public schools. Think about that. I'm sure glad we no longer have to worry about communicable disease transmissions... except when we go to the polls to vote!

Then we need fear-mongering and lots and lots of absentee ballots, that take weeks to tabulate. Nothing to see here, so shut up and believe what you are told by CNN and MSNBC.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, or anyone else, what was the purpose of having a "Telegraphic Cipher" codeword for each loading, as shown in the 1935 catalog page you posted? This is the first time I've ever noticed this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Desperately attempting to compose a coherent sentence but will try

This is Bro. David's pattern, which was published in the DGJ Volume 24, Issue 1, Page 137, 2013.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The Long Range was introduced in 1923, but Hunter Arms records show that one was made in 1921 and an Eagle Grade Long Range in 1922. Only 14 were made in 1923. Total production of Long Range shotguns (1921-41) was 2,606, and of Wild Fowl 98 (1940-42).

Not all LRWF were made with 3 inch chambers, and should be marked "CHAMBERS 3 INCHES" in a semi-circle if so. And most, but not all, have the "reinforcing wedge barrel loop support"

In a 1927 Western Cartridge Co. advertising flyer for the "Super-X Long Range Load" by Capt. Chas. Askins, the "Sea and Bay Duck Load" is described as 1 1/4 oz. with 3 1/2 Drams (Dupont Oval) with a muzzle velocity of 1400 fps (modern numbers are measured 3 feet from the muzzle and would be about 1330 fps) and a breech pressure of 3 3/4 Tons or just below the current SAAMI 12g maximum of 11,500 psi.

I agree with everyone that the primary issue is cracking the head of the stock and would also agree having the stock glas bedded would certainly allow use of today's (non steel) waterfowl loads with confidence.

BTW: still plenty of women and children in Guatemala. We gave food to this family - 3 sisters and 10 kids, and another on the way, living in grandma's shack, with one man around. Some of the men who go to the U.S. return, but most start "2nd families' in the U.S. and never come back. Money sent home 1st goes to the man's parents.
The economy has recovered from the pandemic. There is hope with the election of an anti-corruption/reform President, but they've heard that before.
Until the curses of corruption, alcohol, gang crime/violence, and the machismo culture is cured by the transforming power of the Holy Spirit there really is no hope for the women and children however.

Happy kids with their gift bags

Lots more pics on our ministry Facebook page. I'm not selling anything so won't be sending my $12 to Dave keith wink God's gift of salvation by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus is free to sinners...who know they need a Savior
https://www.facebook.com/drew.hause.77

5 members like this: Geo. Newbern, Tim Cartmell, mc, SKB, BrentD, Prof
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.