May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, eightbore, Ian Forrester), 543 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,547
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#640804 01/14/24 02:07 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would suspect that both would be doing essentially the same job, but what differentiates them, about half a pound? I would assume that the patterns are comparable. The Skimin & Wood guns are certainly unique (to period and type) but what do they really offer over a 5 3/4 LB 2 1/2-inch 12-bore gun? As much as they intrigue me, I suppose that I'll finally have to give one a try some day to answer that one for myself.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/14/24 02:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 2" is about 3/4 lb lighter (5.25, vs 6.0 lb). But the heavier gun is MUCH more flexible with respect to loads and thus hunting opportunities.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

2 members like this: Karl Graebner, Parabola
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fair enough, and while one reads about sub-6lb 12s, they are seldom encountered in real life. We had a Lincoln Jeffries BLE come through the shop several years ago that was that light, and while you do hear about the occasional Charles Daily lightweight, I've never personally held one.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/14/24 02:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

6# 12s aren't too hard to find but below 6# it gets tougher unless it's a 2". At least, that's my experience. I saw a 5# 11 oz 2.75" english gun somewhere recently, but I can't remember where.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,

A sub 6 lb 2.5” 12 would be a nice find. Easier to find shells than a 2” gun. This is from the RST site:

“Please only order if you have a 2" chambered gun. We load these shells for that market. Once these shells are out we may never be able load them again. Please be considerate to your fellow gun member.”

Brent,

I sure hope you and Gil get the 2” handloads worked out.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,

I would choose a light 2 1/2” gun every time over a 2 inch gun. You can get 21 gram, 24 gram , 7/8 oz. Or 1 oz. loads, fibre or plastic and at a push you can rattle your teeth with 1 1/8 oz. if you can’t get anything else.

Not that I would turn down that 2” H.& H. Royal self-opener I saw advertised if someone offered to throw it in with a couple of slabs of 2” cartridges.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Parabola
Lloyd,

I would choose a light 2 1/2” gun every time over a 2 inch gun. You can get 21 gram, 24 gram , 7/8 oz. Or 1 oz. loads, fibre or plastic and at a push you can rattle your teeth with 1 1/8 oz. if you can’t get anything else.

Not that I would turn down that 2” H.& H. Royal self-opener I saw advertised if someone offered to throw it in with a couple of slabs of 2” cartridges.

Yes, as I said, the heavier, longer chambered gun is more flexible. But it will be heavier, which is really the point of a 2x12. Besides that, why not have something a little more unique, a little more quirky, an little more interesting?

As far as I'm concerned, shell availability is a nonissue. If you are going to mess with vintage guns of any chamber length, reloading your own is really the best way to go by far. Even 2.75" shells in the pressures, payload, and shot size you need are often hard to impossible to find for a vintage gun. Makes no sense to worry about store-bought shells. Just make your own and be done with it. Reloading has its own rewards.

Of course, I am more than happy to take any H$H Royal, fs someone is offering to give it to me, shells or no shells. I'll take a 2" Skimin and Wood the same way, but that is a facetious argument.

_________

2 members like this: FallCreekFan, GLS
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Parabola: I just finished reading the 2-inch gun posting here (all 24 pages of it). I'm weaning off of the oxycontin here today (post surgery, don't want to end-up like Limbaugh) and need to keep myself occupied. Two-inch 12-gauge guns exist in a twilight of-sorts for me. We sold many of them over the years I worked for Mark Reynolds (Skimin & Woods, H&H Dominions, Purdeys, etc.) and I was simply fascinated by them all (I still am). That 2-inch post does what we do best here, which is to research and collaborate on obscure and highly-specialized fine guns. The gifts that are brought to bear on these pages here are almost other-worldly (in that they are shared freely and openly and with such enthusiasm!). I am in awe of what I read here. Years ago, I had to choose between either a good British 16 or a 2-inch 12. Being limited by reality (and possessing a practical nature by necessity), I went with the 16. I have no regrets, other than to still be fascinated by the concept.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/14/24 07:46 PM.
4 members like this: graybeardtmm3, FallCreekFan, GLS, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KDGJ
Lloyd,

A sub 6 lb 2.5” 12 would be a nice find. Easier to find shells than a 2” gun. This is from the RST site:

“Please only order if you have a 2" chambered gun. We load these shells for that market. Once these shells are out we may never be able load them again. Please be considerate to your fellow gun member.”

Brent,

I sure hope you and Gil get the 2” handloads worked out.

Ken

Oh we have. Quite a few grouse suffered the consequences of it too. Another friend with a 2" has his own recipe and we have another from a third source as well. So we can build loads with American Select, Perfect Pattern, and 700-X that will all work in the 2" guns very well. They are actually fun to load, so that's a bonus. I've worked up a spreadsheet of the loads and others (that failed for whatever reason). Anyone with a 2" is certainly welcome to a copy.

Amended to add, I have a tested load for SR 7625 as well, if anyone has some of that wonder-powder squirreled away. I have a few pounds that I'm reserving for the 2x12 exclusively. I'd love to find some more.

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 01/14/24 04:55 PM.

_________

1 member likes this: KDGJ
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
I’m pretty sure that as you sober up, the 2 1/2” 16 gauge will come to make far more practical sense than the 2” 12. The best part is you already own it. Guys quibbling over a half to three quarters of a pound on a hunting gun they use for a few months a year is ‘kinda funny in its own right, too.

Really? Didn’t eat your Wheaties today?

Many years ago, none other than Kirk Merrington told me Americans with a reloading press and an old English shotgun were a huge part of his success here in the states. Yes, we will get the guys here that say “never in 50 years have I done that”, but, you don’t have to look too far on the internet that Al Gore JR. invented to find sad stories of guys that have done just that.

Don’t be that guy.

Sounds like progress on that leg, to me. Looking forward to a few more LOWs experiences, do what the therapist tells you to do. That little restaurant in Roosevelt is calling our names.

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: David Williamson, Stanton Hillis
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.