April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (L. Brown), 1,092 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone have a ball park on how much you might be handicapped for shooting sub gauges? If there isn't a standard, what do you thin they should be?

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sporting clays handicaps for sub gauges

I found this thread from a couple years ago on Shotgunworld

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
I used to shoot practice trap with the great Jimmy Walker. He was a 27-yard shooter and an All-American. I was pretty much just beginning to learn how to shoot trap. I was loading 1 oz loads because somebody told me you could save money doing that. The first time I shot with him I told him I was shooting 1 oz loads. He said - if you shoot one ounce loads you're beat before you even start.

Well, Dang. I shoot 7/8 oz. But I'm not looking to beat anyone except myself. smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Well, I deleted the post from what I was going to say. But what I should have said was, if I wanted a 5 target handicap for shooting a sub gauge like a .410 at sporting clays or trap, it probably wouldn't do any good anyway. And I'd probably get laughed at at my club if I wanted a 20 handicap. Skeet, it would probably be okay to shoot a sub gauge, but trap or sporting clays, with a 20 gauge or a .410, if you are shooting with other guys, there's going to be a little competition. And even with a handicap, you'll be discouraged pretty quickly. Sub gauges are okay for live hunting, but a little difficult at sporting Clays or trap. Even with a handicap.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 01/06/24 07:39 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
I used to shoot practice trap with the great Jimmy Walker. He was a 27-yard shooter and an All-American. I was pretty much just beginning to learn how to shoot trap. I was loading 1 oz loads because somebody told me you could save money doing that. The first time I shot with him I told him I was shooting 1 oz loads. He said - if you shoot one ounce loads you're beat before you even start.

Well, Dang. I shoot 7/8 oz. But I'm not looking to beat anyone except myself. smile

If you’re shooting by yourself, you won't need a handicap, will you? 😊

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nope. Not at all.

But just out of curiosity, is 7/8 oz out of a 20 gauge any handicap in comparison to 7/8 oz out of a 12? It's really the amount of lead, not the diameter of the bore, correct?

_________

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yep. But I would never shoot 7/8 oz. at handicap trap. 1 1/8 oz. of 7.5 is what I would use. Now if I were trying out a load of 7/8 oz. to see how it worked for a hunting load- okay for testing on clay targets. Or something of that reason. But if I were going to go out to shoot against other people, or even for handicap practice trap, shooting 7/8 oz. loads of anything would be throwing away 25 rounds of 7/8 of shot and wads. Most people would never do that. At least not what I have ever seen. Most people don't load 7/8 oz. loads of any gauge except for hunting. Or, am I missing something?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep. But I would never shoot 7/8 oz. at handicap trap. 1 1/8 oz. of 7.5 is what I would use. Now if I were trying out a load of 7/8 oz. to see how it worked for a hunting load- okay for testing on clay targets. Or something of that reason. But if I were going to go out to shoot against other people, or even for handicap practice trap, shooting 7/8 oz. loads of anything would be throwing away 25 rounds of 7/8 of shot and wads. Most people would never do that. At least not what I have ever seen. Most people don't load 7/8 oz. loads of any gauge except for hunting. Or, am I missing something?

All you are missing is the cost and availability of lead.

Heck, a bunch of guys are loading 3/4.

_________

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

International bunker shooters are required to use 24.5 gram loads, which approximates 7/8 oz.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I guess I am just the opposite of the guys who hunt and shoot on here. If I go out to shoot trap or sporting clays and I have money riding on the line, I'm not going to be using 7/8 oz. or 1 oz. of lead when everyone else is shooting 1 1/8 oz. I practice exactly the way I shoot..... And if I go out shooting sporting clays with my buddies, we get a little competitive. Even for the fun of it. They're going to be shooting 12 gauges. I'm not going to show up with a 20 gauge or a .410. I know guys on here like to go out and hunt with as little amount of shot as possible. That's great. But a 20 gauge is about as low as I'll go. (Which I have used a Model 37 Ithaca most of my life) I don't ever remember missing too much that I ever shot at. But if I want to go hunting, I want AS MUCH shot as I can get. A 16 gauge? I just bought a box of pheasant loads to use that were 1 1/8 oz.. I might use 1 oz. minimum. I don't own a 28 gauge or .410. I really admire everyone on here and the way they hunt and the game they take with their SXSs. I guess I just want every advantage I can get when I shoot. My next gun? Probably be another Model 21. Maybe a 20 gauge if possible.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.