April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, NTaxiarchis, Jtplumb), 334 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is a very interesting film/video and to my mind an important one both to gun/rifle enthusiast as to historians of the same.

I suggest that when you view it that you select the "Settings" star at the bottom right of the screen and change the playback speed from "normal" to ".5" as the normal speed is much too fast.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 01/06/24 01:37 PM.
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

That was great!
I'm guessing this might be the old Remington Plant in Ilion, NY?
The Pattern 17 is one of the great old bolt action rifles, and extremely strong too. Fred Wells of the Wells Custom Gun Shop exclusively used Pattern 17 actions for his .500 Wells custom rifles until the actions and rifles dried up. Then he built his own actions to handle the big .500 Wells.
My first real hunting rifle is a custom built on a highly modified Pattern 17 Remington action. It's was heavily reworked so only the safety remains to be able to know which action it started from. I still have it simply because it was my first and took so much game with it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sgt. Alvin York used a model 1917 rifle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Two more rifles I should never have sold were Winchester made Pattern 1914 (P.14) in 303 British.

One was a P.14 (F) fitted with the fine adjustable (F) back sight developed for sniper use in the First World War.

The other was a rare P.14 (T) (A), or Rifle No. 3 (T) (A) built by Alex Martin as part of a Second World War contract utilising Winchester P.14 rifle and Aldis scopes that had remained in store after the First World War SMLE sniper rifles, on which the scopes had originally been mounted, were broken up after 1919.

Both were very accurate although the Alex Martin No. 3 (T) (A) had clearly had a great many rounds through it. The scope was offset 1.5” to the left.

I found as a southpaw that I could shoot it comfortably by leaning my head over the low comb and aiming through the scope with my left (master) eye. I even managed to double tap a 200 yards snap target in a single 4 second exposure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They way the straightened the barrels is fascinating.

I have a spare barreled action with the ears trimmed off if anyone wants to build a big boomer. I have a composite stock for the bent floor plate also. I have a straight welded floor plate too. All the other parts and a couple half-finished scope mounts I never was quite satisfied/done with. I think I have a Redfield peep. I was going to build a dark timber elk stalker brush gun but, my little rifles seem to put them down just fine, so I don't need this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I really enjoyed the video Stephen, thanks for sharing it. I thought the patriotic music was a nice touch! For me, watching the video, took some of the mystery out of how the manufactured those rifles in high volume. Too bad, we don’t have more videos like that, they could help take away some of the other manufacturing mysteries. One I’ve heard a lot of debate about is, how did Colt accomplish the carbonia blueing on early 1911 pistols. It’s a beautiful finish. It looks like Turnbull now has the closest version. Maybe someday we’ll find a video of Colt’s manufacturing process!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by RyanF
They way the straightened the barrels is fascinating.

I have a spare barreled action with the ears trimmed off if anyone wants to build a big boomer. I have a composite stock for the bent floor plate also. I have a straight welded floor plate too. All the other parts and a couple half-finished scope mounts I never was quite satisfied/done with. I think I have a Redfield peep. I was going to build a dark timber elk stalker brush gun but, my little rifles seem to put them down just fine, so I don't need this.

Ryan;

I thought you would like to know that final barrel straightening using an over head press is still done the same way today. Light from some distance away cast a show down the rifle bore allowing an experienced craftsman to judge if the barrel is not straight and then using the same shadow the craftsmen bends the barrel to straighten it. In the time that this film was made light came into the room from a high window.

Stephen Howell

1 member likes this: earlyriser
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vall,
A definition correction.

The British referred to the first two versions of the rifle as Pattern 13 (.276 Enfield) and Pattern 14 (.303 British).
When production began in the US (.30-06), it was officially designated as the Model 1917. The US didn't use "Pattern"
to identify our firearms.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

John Philip Sousa?

Sidelock
Sidelock

In Canada, in the early 1980s, when I was active in Bisley-style prone long-range target shooting, there were more than a few shooters who had 7.62x51s built on these actions. They always called them P17s.

Just setting this on the table for vernacular's sake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.