April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (SKB, Stanton Hillis, Der Ami, 3 invisible), 417 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I restored a Model 1912 16 gauge not long ago. I like the gun a lot; only problem is the ejection of SOME hulls. Ejection port is slightly shorter on the model1912s compared to the later model 12s. To correct that issue: would the only alteration needed be the extension of the ejection port of the Model 1912--or would there need to be other modifications?(I think the bolts are the same in both models, but not sure about that.)Thanks! Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, the port could be opened but I use Remington Game Load hulls or 2 1/2" hulls, problem solved.

The 2 9/16 original hull is shorter than the 2 3/4 current hull and will catch on the port.
This is a diagonal measurement from the left side of the rim to the right side of the tip of the fired hull.

The Rem hull will work as it is shorter.

I have so many 16 gauge guns that I can be selective on ammo and gun.

Mike

p.s. To answer your question, only the port needs to be lengthened.

Last edited by skeettx; 01/05/24 10:39 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

In the “for what it’s worth column”…

The first model 1912s were the twenty gauge version, and in the 8 or 10 different first few years 20 gauge guns we have tried, 2 3/4” ammunition runs just fine.

Every 16 gauge I have played with of the same vintage would reliably hang up with 2 3/4” ammunition. I’ve seen later 16 gauge guns, clearly marked for 2 3/4” ammunition, do the same thing.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

The simplest is to get the ejection port lengthened at its front end. That's easily done on a milling machine by any capable machinist. The resulting fresh mill cut can be touched up with cold blue solution and will be hardly noticeable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the day when Mdl-12's were the thing, it was a common known gunsmithing operation to open/lengthen the ejection port to accommodate 2 3/4" shells. This is easily done on a mill & depending on how picky you are the freshly cut metal at the front of the port can be cold blued for a close enough match without the need for a re-blue of the receiver.

As mentioned above the easiest & cheapest route is to just use shorter cased shells in it & have fun with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I inherited 2 of those 1912s, (a 12 and a 16) that look like they haven't had much use since those times. I looked up the serials and I think they were about 1915. I got some short ammo for the 16 but I never messed with the 12 as it has a drastically castoff stock that would serve for shooting with the other eye. Thanks for the tip on the Remington game loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil:

Early M12 16s are quite a treat, as you probably already know. I also re-did a basket-case version a few years ago (a circa 1926 example) and discovered that somebody had already opened up the ejection port to shoot the longer shells. The tip-off for me was that the shape of the opening was no-longer exactly square (like the one on my 1913 M12 in 20). It has evidently been used like that for some time with no issues. Everytime I pick this gun up I am amazed by the weight and the handling. If I wasn't so-enamored by my doubles, this would make a spectacular bird gun. The original 28-inch Full choke tube had to be trimmed back because of a crack at the muzzle (somebody tried steel in it?). It's now 26 1/2-inches with about 10 points of choke.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not a show piece, but mighty practical. I added the later Winchester pad for the extra LOP, I think I've got $200 in it. I use it mostly as a loner, but I shoot it lights out (& so does everybody else).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/08/24 12:11 PM.
1 member likes this: Mark II
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you reload it is easiest to just shorten the shells. If you don't shoot it enough just buy short shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, Actually, to set-up a M-12 for the longer shells, you really need to do three things; lengthen the chamber using the back of the chamber ring as the guide for total length, open ip the ejection port( I used a carbide bit on a Dremel), and take the shell lifter out and cut the reinforcing web on the top back to accomodate the longer length loaded cartridges. It should the cycle properly with the longer cartridges. Regards, Sandlapper

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

THANK you so much for the thoughtful explanation of the process. I am still thinking about sending it out to have that done but may just deal with ammunition that is compatible. What would that cost to have it done by someone who has actually done it successfully? Thanks again. Gil

[IMG]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.