April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, j7l2, CJF, battle, GeorgeGibbs505, bigblock), 1,273 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your Stettler and son gun is beautiful nice engraving.

2 members like this: Tim Cartmell, improved modified
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is the SS article on the new WR O/U. It’s now on the Explora site.

WR OU

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw the photos and wondered who ordered it…shoot it in good health! Great decision to not proof for superior steel in harm the dynamics of the gun.

Owen
1 member likes this: improved modified
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eeb
Can Hevi-Shot be used? ?

No. Currently the alloy is steel and tungsten. Tungsten is denser and harder than steel. Steel has three times less rigidity than tungsten. Gil

1 member likes this: eeb
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is it me!! Or is Westly Richards think rather a lot of themselves. Have I got this right they want customers to pay a four figure plus sum for a gun that will not handle steel, who the hell do they think they are the one and only Gods gift to the shooting man! Other high finish makers can produce barrels that are proofed for steel. If a gun maker wanted to charge me a four figure plus for a gun I would want it to be able to cope with steel shot to Camel dropping's and every stop in between. And if that is going to be their sales policy they can stick their gun up in a place where the sun dont shine, I am sure that I will be alone in thinking this so lets see how long this idiotic sales tactic lasts.
Ernie. The sometimes cantankerous old git who knows when someone is trying hard extracting the piss.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
1 member likes this: Karl Graebner
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus. I agree.

I don't understand why a gun that's proofed for high-performance steel shot can't have lively, dynamic bbls.

Can someone explain?

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 01/11/24 05:53 PM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by obsessed-with-doubles
Damascus. I agree.

I don't understand why a gun that's proofed for high-performance steel shot can't have lively, dynamic bbls.

Can someone explain?

OWD

As the engineers say, “There is no free lunch”.

Steel shot, particularly in the larger sizes, brings its own unique complications to any given loading. It is not lead, and under the forces of higher velocity loadings, is more apt to “bridge”, or, act as a solid than lead shot will. The forces involved dictate heavier barrels and choke tubes to resist damage from these loads. There needs to be a margin of extra resistance to the forces high performance steel would bring, which is simply a bridge too far for dynamic handling characteristics. More barrel steel, results in less lively feel.

Lead, and bismuth loadings, at lower velocity, do not stress the barrels to the extent that high performance steel loads do.

To ask conventional, dynamic handling barrels to do the work that would be required of barrels that would be resistant to the forces of high performance steel loads would be asking for a free lunch.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah. Ok. Thank you.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
eeb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by damascus
Is it me!! Or is Westly Richards think rather a lot of themselves. Have I got this right they want customers to pay a four figure plus sum for a gun that will not handle steel, who the hell do they think they are the one and only Gods gift to the shooting man! Other high finish makers can produce barrels that are proofed for steel. If a gun maker wanted to charge me a four figure plus for a gun I would want it to be able to cope with steel shot to Camel dropping's and every stop in between. And if that is going to be their sales policy they can stick their gun up in a place where the sun dont shine, I am sure that I will be alone in thinking this so lets see how long this idiotic sales tactic lasts.
Ernie. The sometimes cantankerous old git who knows when someone is trying hard extracting the piss.

That’s my point and why I posed the original question. I’d like to see if Rocketman could quantify the difference between barrels proofed for steel and barrels not proofed for steel, like these WR barrels. It seems for six figures they could work it out.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.