April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Karl Graebner, Tim in PA, FlyChamps, Jimmy W, NCTarheel), 442 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Right? Drives me mad that they cant drop it in the post.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Finger print ink.

mark #640118 12/31/23 01:49 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Really?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Engraving enhancer used on this side of the pond from the year dot by gunmakers and the like, not expensive easy to put on and just as easy to remove waterproof as well. Take a visit to your local art suppliers and purchase a bottle of black "India Ink", it is a tried and tested formula Shellac and lamp black easy to apply using a cloth or cotton wool to run into the engraving, then let it dry (usually about two minutes) then go over again with a cloth slightly moistened with Alcohol to remove from the high spots. Apply and remove until you have the effect you are looking for, also it can be touched up any time with no problem.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's been a long time since I did it but I think what I used was similar to what damascus described, with India ink. It's held up well for years on my Fox BE grade. As damascus said, the level of background darkness can be controlled. I chose to keep it very subtle on this 105 year old Fox.

Before:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

After:

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Karl Graebner
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That’s exactly it!!! Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clock dials are silvered and use a black wax for the engraved figures. https://antiquesworld.co.uk/antique-furniture/clock-dial-engravers-wax/

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sam w.lmii is closing it's doors it was a great place to buy guitar building supplies

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete2528ca;

Check your PM's

Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel that I should add some further information regarding the post by Johnfromuk regarding Clock Dial filling Wax. This product would not be suitable for filling gun engraving for the following reasons:- It is not really Wax it is just given that name by tradition. You will find that the stick is as hard as a brick though it is black. The filling wax requires a lo of heat to get it to flow over hot metal. when it is melted it will stick to what it is applied to and requires heat and the an abrasive to remove it level with the metals surface. It is good for what it was designed for, the filling of Brass engraved clock faces before Silvering this being another very interesting way of applying Silver on a clock dial.
Besides my interest in guns my other passion is building and restoring Antique clocks, I can only describe this filling wax as akin to sealing wax though it is a mixture of Shellac a black pigment, though a lot of clock restorers do like to use melted Shellac 78 rpm records melted into sticks because it is basically the same thing though when re melted on the Clock dial engraving the record shellac looks more the part om an old clock.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.