April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jtplumb, battle, AaronN, smlekid, Ted Schefelbein, Argo44), 456 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

During my enforced convalescence here, I've recently focused on the long-term hunting and fishing options in Michigan's Upper-Peninsula. Two towns have drawn my attention, Marquette and Escanaba.

I've idly looked for years for a place that has both wingshooting and fly fishing for trout (alng with decent healthcare and cultural options) and sadly, none of the now-obvious destinations are attractive to me at this point. It strikes me the "U.P." might offer some options that I hadn't considered. Colorado is still working actively to drive me away (fishing and hunting options here are dwindling IMHO, and my politics are all-wrong for continued life here going forward). Anyway, it helps to look-forward to whatever the next adventure might be (and my bride is a cold-weather girl, so no Florida for us).

Depending on the outcome of this next election, all of this may be moot, but it is good to look forward to our "retirement" years. Right off the top of my list of concerns are the winters up there. Colorado has spoiled us with mild winters for 20-plus years now and I wouldn't expect such a break on the south shore of Lake Superior. The politics of Michigan are also mildly concerning, I'm hearing that the "U.P." is quite conservative but... doesn't Detroit really control things up there? We already have our place in Minnesota, which is fine as it is, but there are no trout there and I miss using my bamboo rods for such things.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/30/23 03:33 PM.
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
For me the U.P. has offered some great hunting for me, The areas near Escanaba, Ralph, Channing have been very good. The U.P. is a totally different world! Best of luck in your search.
Karl
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

1 member likes this: Parabola
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Karl: It was your mention of SE michigan in your signature section of your other posts that prompted this post. YouTube is full of 20-somethings touring the UP with their RVs and their trailbikes, hitting all the trendy brewpubs and the lakeshore State Parks It'd be nice to get a more balenced perspective about enduring those winters and fitting in with the local culture.

It is my understanding that the southern UP is very different from the northern half (that there is a snowbelt near to Lake Superior). Is the shoreline of Lake Michigan all that different from the northern side?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/30/23 03:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
I've done some hunting in Michigan with Clapperzapper (Greg). He might chime in with some great suggestions, as he has covered the state extensively.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have hunted N Wisc and N Mich and the UP. All great country, for grouse and woodcock and fishing. I live in S Mich now and wrestle with where to be in the future. We have kids in Chic or nearby and neither my wife or I like the heat so we won't be going way S. I think most of Mich is conservative except Detroit-Ann Arbor and East, but unfortunately they rule. Recent decisions by Gov Witmer that don't bode well, leave Nat Gas by 2035, I believe she supports Red Flag and if someone breaks in and steals your firearm (if it wasn't secured in a safe) you are responsible. Although she is a former educator, in the future if a child can not read by the end of third grade they will not be held back but the parents will be notified. An example of her fiscal wisdom was funding a meditation center for a school staff in Novi.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Lloyd,
You have both opportunities here in Minnesota, but, you might as well not-there is outstanding fly fishing in the southeast corner of Minnesota, to go along with the great hunting in the northwest corner.

Can’t be but 12-14 hours from one corner to the other. A Bell Jet Ranger would help greatly, I imagine.

Had the drift less area in Wisconsin, the forests of SE Minnesota and the northeastern corner of Iowa been properly managed by the DNR of each state, there would be spectacular grouse hunting to go along with the fly fishing.

They weren’t. There isn’t. Unless you like turkeys.

I can say in the U.P. you will be in familiar territory, but, the fishing is unknown to me. At one time, there were enough Grayling to name the town of Grayling, but, for one reason or another that isn’t the case anymore.

I am right there with you, trying to find a non hell hole where college professors aren’t calling for the violent decolonization of non indigenous people, but, we haven’t settled on anything just yet.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/12/the-face-of-evil-4.php

Let me know when and where you hit nirvana, and if I can make the cut.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Online Embarrased
Sidelock

The difference between the fantasy, and the reality, of moving to rural Michigan upper Peninsula is real, and expensive.

Look at where the snowbelt bands are which will tell you where the 10 feet of snow ends up, and look at where the hospitals are. You aren’t young, you were going to need quality healthcare, and being 50 miles away from a decent hospital it’s not a great way to live a long time.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You don’t have to actually live in da UP eh…. that’s why we built the $100M bridge in 1957. It’s one of the few things we got right.

I live in Alpena. This whole side of the state is cedar swamp. The property values skyrocket west of I-75, so I live in the low rent district.

I can walk to a good hospital. They have a helicopter available for stuff they can’t handle. It’s part of the UM health system. Seriously good.

Many excellent shooting venues in northern Michigan. I belong to 6 clubs within 2 hours drive. 2 in town here.

Sure, we have stoogery in local government, and the taxes are forever increasing. Our state government is sliding toward communism, but by the time that takes full effect, we will both be long gone.

From here the UP is an easy day trip. I had a grouse crash into my garage window a couple years ago, so they are here too.

Come visit the area before you decide. I’m reasonably happy, been a transplant from Oakland County for 18 years. This is better than a big city and still has everything within striking distance.

Last edited by Shotgunjones; 01/02/24 08:53 PM.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
1 member likes this: Karl Graebner
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't the Drifltess region extend into southern MN? Good stream fishing for trout in the Driftless Lloyd. Good luck on finding a place that suits you.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just got back from northern Michigan, where I grew up. I have been a fishing guide here and there (not that I was particularly good at it). I went to Michigan Tech and knew the UP pretty well. Before the Goby's and Zebra mussels screwed everything up, smelt dipping was one of my favorite outdoor things. Blackened Great Lakes Whitefish is possibly my favorite food.

As much as it seems to suck now, the hunting is still way, way, oh so much, infinitely, better, here. The only big game animal I saw last week was a semi-hibernating bear. Fishing is a tie. Politics is a tie. Northen MI and the UP are blood red but the trolls control everything.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.