April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jem Finch, SKB, Fudd, Argo44, 1 invisible), 430 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,152
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Color casehardening is a carburizing process wherein carbon is introduced to the outer layers of the steel in order to harden the skin of the part. In this process the carbon is pulled from the charcoal pack via heat and is trapped by the subsequent quench. Carbon must be present in order for steel to harden.

To properly "re-case" a part, the previous hardening process must be "undone" via the controlled annealing process. I used to
work in a very well known shop that specializes in casehardening and we NEVER re-cased a part w/o first annealing it.

Warpage in my experience relates more to the design of the action, trigger plate, etc. L.C. Smiths, Parker's and others rarely had warpage issues because the frames and other parts were thick where they needed to be and could usually be reassembled w/o hard fitting. Every Ithaca Flues that I have
re-cased required hard fitting. The tangs and trigger plates on the Flues always move because they are thin and just tend to warp due to the heat. It just takes a little time and experience to hard fit re-cased parts back to where they need to be for final assembly.

Dan May

Originally Posted By: Silvers
Thanks everyone who replied so far. Just to clarify, I was asking about re-casing without doing any engraving. Also I was referring to the bone charcoal/quenching process of re-casing, not the cyanide process. Silvers

I don't know if Wind River annealed or not, but I think the colors are nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Mann
Recoil Rob:
I think it depends on who is doing the work.
I would not trust most, but have and will trust a man that has a proven track record.

Best,
John

I'll agree with you John, that a man with a proven track record has a better success ratio than others but even the best can have one turn out bad. They're probably just better at bangin' the thing back into shape.

They had to whacked into shape the first time they were done. Read crossedchisles article in SHOTGUN TECHNICANA about the PROTOCOL AT PURDEY'S. It was the finishers first task to stress relieve and true up all the metal that had warped in the hardening process. Now there's a guy with a good resume', and even he screwed up at times and it was his full time job. It's one thing to damage a part before the gun reaches the owner, you can make another, but what about your 1907 Fox? Are you going to be happy if he breaks the top tang and has to weld it?

I think it's a gamble with a SxS because of the critical geometries involved with the barrel fit, too much of a gamble for a vanity exercise.

Old Highwalls, Sharpes and slab sided lever actions? Have at it, not too much to mess up there. But my old SxS's will age gracefully.

Just curious, do the re-case color guys have you sign a waiver before they'll cook your action?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just to set the record straight, Cyanide "Hardening" is not a chemical process but a carburizing process as is the charcoal method. It is used when a very thin case is satisfactory & operates by immersion of the part in molten Sodium Cyanide at temps on the order of 1450°-1650°F. The metal absorbs a thin carbon rich "Skin" which is hardened upon quenching with the colors formed by oxidation. One might say, "It is the same, but different" as Charcoal hardening. Cyanide hardening is I believe quicker & generally less expensive than "Pack Hardening" (Charcoal) but normally does not give as deep a case & colors which in the eyes of many are not as attractive.
Ref; "Machinery's Handbook" (not a direct quote)

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug Mann,
Thanks for that info. I've been hesitating to color the gun because 2 folks here have dealt with post CCH warpage. Now I'm sure I'll blue it.

Edit: My question to Classic was regarding a previously blued reciever...not re-casing.

Last edited by Yeti; 08/01/07 08:55 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller,

Thanks for that last post. It should also be remembered that for some guns, it is the correct method. Cyanide case colors have their own appeal.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

It should also be noted that parts can be recolored without rehardening. The temperature range wherin oxide colors form is well below the kind of temperatures likely to warp metal. Dr. OG recommended doing this. Note that most of the colors in CC are within the range of iron oxide colors, but some depend on other stuff such as is found in the bone charcoal. Masters of the process can control to a significant extent the pattern (sttripes/spots/mottled) and the predonimance of color (mostly blue/mostly brown/a dash of green/almost grey/etc). Usually, one wishes for the master to recreate what was originally on the gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would reccomend annealing before CC'ing. And no, it does not do the same thing when you heat the action up in the CC'ing process.

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

I remember reading somewhere that if metal washers and/or various bits and pieces of metal are wired to portions of the item to be color case hardened (bone and charcoal method)that the case coloring patterns can be controlled and duplicated. Is anyone familiar with this? I think that this is practiced in the U.K.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oscar would not recase without annealing first. The hundreds of actions he did had no distortion problems and did not crack later.
bill

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.