April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Vol423, fab500), 363 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,168
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by campero
It's been my favorite caliber for many years. When I discovered it, I thought it was a smaller caliber. When you start with this caliber, you go through moments of great satisfaction and disappointment for not hunting or shooting with larger calibers. Pieces that you think you could have charged with the 20 or 12 are missing, but the key is that you have to know this caliber, its benefits and limitations. So far I've owned six 28-gauge shotguns: parallel, juxtaposed, and semi-automatic. Now I have my companion for life: a very special hammer shot from the 19th century.

Once you go through the first stage with this caliber, when you go from a larger caliber to this delicious caliber and in which you still don't know it well, the days of hunting and enjoyment arrive. Every cast is a bigger challenge; Each piece charged is valued much more and, in the end, what matters is the quality and not the quality. It is a caliber that I consider the younger brother of the 16 caliber because of its forcefulness and great punch, even with fewer grams of pellets.

ADVANTAGES: The cartridges weigh less, shotguns usually weigh less than those of larger calibers, the casts and the pieces charged are much more valued and the enjoyment of hunting and breaking targets is, for lovers of this caliber, much greater. In addition, there is a wide variety of cartridge models.

DRAWBACKS: The price of cartridges, although now in Spain the price of other larger calibers has skyrocketed.

P.S. I'm sorry I didn't know how to write all this in English.

P.S. 2: Long live the 28 caliber!

I hope the translation is about right. You sound a lot like Bill Hannus when he was trying to convince me to hunt pheasants with a 28 gauge. I've never tried it. I'm sure it works for those that are very good shots and very patient to wait for the best opportunities. But I feel more comfortable with more lead in the air.

Maybe someday, I'll take the plunge. Until then, I'll admire the enthusiasm of the 28 gauge guys.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: campero
Sidelock
Sidelock

6 lbs even with either 28 inchers and a BTFE of 30 inchers and a SFE

4 members like this: Mills, DAM16SXS, campero, DropLockBob
Sidelock
Sidelock

My affordable solution to the 28-gauge question, a Turkish "Dickenson" (their 28-gauge version on the .410 frame). Not a "fine" gun but decent-enough just the same and a good introduction to the gauge for me. I have a now-older buddy that uses it when he flys up to visit me in the North Country in October and he simply loves it. At 14 3/4 LOP, 28-inch tubes and 5 1/4 lbs it fits most adult males and the shells look more-like .410s than 20s. A pocket-full of them weigh almost nothing and should carry you all through a full day of hunting. I had to have the heavy triggers lightened (by their service rep who balked a bit at the weights I wanted) and I then had to add some oil to the original finish (which was pretty thin) but otherwise, it's quite serviceable now. This one even has .410 tubes (which I've yet to really use.)

Upon delivery...

When a 6-lb gun becomes too-much for me...

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/19/23 11:51 AM.
3 members like this: Mills, campero, DropLockBob
Sidelock
Sidelock

The 28-gauge is way cool and I love them. In reality if they are as light as they should be they are hard to shoot effectively. If they are heavy enough to shoot effectively they might as well be a 16- or 20-gauge. In my small receiver Model 12s my 28-gauge is a couple ounces heavier than my 16-gauge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Red Label!! Its a shame they didn't keep making those. I have seen a few Gold Labels recently in really nice shape that I would love to have, but a $5000.00 price tag is a bit steep for me. Glad to hear that your son does so well with his, Bob. Good luck!!

Yeah, it's a nice red label with english straight stock. I handed it down to him from my pop. I have never held a gold label, I would love to have one. 5K is what they go for?? That's unreal. Lots of nice english, spanish and italian gun can be had for that kind of coin. I'll pass.

NRA life member

Retired investor, living on a pension.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
My affordable solution to the 28-gauge question, a Turkish "Dickenson" (their 28-gauge version on the .410 frame). Not a "fine" gun but decent-enough just the same and a good introduction to the gauge for me. I have a now-older buddy that uses it when he flys up to visit me in the North Country in October and he simply loves it. At 14 3/4 LOP, 28-inch tubes and 5 1/4 lbs it fits most adult males and the shells look more-like .410s than 20s. A pocket-full of them weigh almost nothing and should carry you all through a full day of hunting. I had to have the heavy triggers lightened (by their service rep who balked a bit at the weights I wanted) and I then had to add some oil to the original finish (which was pretty thin) but otherwise, it's quite serviceable now. This one even has .410 tubes (which I've yet to really use.)

Upon delivery...

When a 6-lb gun becomes too-much for me...

I have one of those Dickinson's. They are not bad, I have no fear of carting mine to the duckblind. It folds pheasants, quail and doves just fine. No ducks around right now to test it on. It's like 5.4lbs.

NRA life member

Sidelock
Sidelock

I also have a 28 gauge Franchi autoloader. Don't use it much. Nowadays, you can even get a 28 in the 3 inch chamber, if you like. Never shot one yet.

NRA life member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Researcher: For me, the solution to "whippy" lighter guns is longer barrels. I'd like my little Dickenson even better if it had 30-inch barrels. I'd guess that in any lighter gun, no-matter the gauge, longer barrels will help that.

1 member likes this: ithaca1
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by campero
It's been my favorite caliber for many years [...]

I hope the translation is about right. You sound a lot like Bill Hannus when he was trying to convince me to hunt pheasants with a 28 gauge. I've never tried it. I'm sure it works for those that are very good shots and very patient to wait for the best opportunities. But I feel more comfortable with more lead in the air.

Maybe someday, I'll take the plunge. Until then, I'll admire the enthusiasm of the 28 gauge guys.

More or less grin Thanks for the translation and sorry for my bad english.

I don´t know who is Bill Hannus, but I´m sure you´ll enjoy a lot if you will try this surprising gauge.

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's my Dickinson

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NRA life member

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.