April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, Fudd, Birdog, WBLDon, Marks_21), 471 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,155
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#639335 12/16/23 10:36 PM
Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

my club now throws targets at night with a black light behind the shooters, in a 5 stand format. It is very cool but takes some getting used to. A lot of young shooters were there , most equipped with sights that glowed under those conditions.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

We went through night shooting training in the military in early-mid 1960's. It was before the starlight scope and without the advantage of infrared. 1) 30 minutes getting accustomed to the dark in a red chamber. 2) raise your eyes above the sights twice - dark will create phantoms; 3) don't expect to hit anything so fire multiple rounds (and since the M-14 flash suppressor will give you away for the opposing machine gun, get out of the position). I operated once in Laos at night but the moon was so bright it cast shadows. Never had to shoot - was checking a map coordinate location stream junction.

Shooting blacklight targets (infra-red?) sounds really interesting and instinctual. .pretty much air-soft stuff .not sure what the point of it is other than novelty. But one can see the fun. And it does extend the usefulness of the club after sunset - not to mention the hot chocolates and snacks sold. the possibilities for other sports to expand into night-time are fascinating.

Last edited by Argo44; 12/16/23 11:06 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Poachers training.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: DropLockBob
Sidelock
Sidelock

We shot skeet at night under the lights at one of my clubs this year. We tried it last year and I did fine until Station 8. Could not pick up those targets at all. This year, I cleared 7 without any misses, but figured I was about to crash and burn. Not sure what the difference was from last year, but this year the station 8 targets looked like big orange pumpkins. Finished my straight.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Shooting blacklight targets (infra-red?) sounds really interesting and instinctual. .pretty much air-soft stuff .not sure what the point of it is other than novelty. But one can see the fun. And it does extend the usefulness of the club after sunset - not to mention the hot chocolates and snacks sold. the possibilities for other sports to expand into night-time are fascinating.[/quote]

I saw an ad for a MN club throwing targets under black lights.on TS.Com.
VERY innovative, bring the young bucks that have been weaned on video games outdoors for some fun. This club also features heated stands that probably cross reference for daytime shoots.
This is exactly how our shooting sports survive these dark times!

Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The targets are easy to see, unless edge on and when they break it is much more dramatic than in daylight.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

My club used to throw the white targets shooting trap at night when we had our monthly meetings. They don't do it so much anymore. But the white ones always showed up pretty well.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 12/17/23 07:41 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

With the right conventional lighting any skeet, trap or wobble trap will show white domed birds really well, well enough to shoot well at them. My home club, Bay Gall Sporting Clays has been hosting monthly night wobble trap (scrap) shoots for many years. It may be the second most used shooting venue at Bay Gall, other than the two excellent sporting courses. It's one shooting venue that's fun to watch even if you're not participating. Good lighting is the key.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
We went through night shooting training in the military in early-mid 1960's. It was before the starlight scope and without the advantage of infrared.

According to all I have ever read the PVS-1 and PVS-2 were patented by the U S Army in the 1960s, and were certainly used in the Vietnam War. Your experiences must have just barely pre-dated them, Gene. I started out hunting hogs and shooting deer on predation permits with Gen 3 devices. I moved to thermals some years go but sometimes wonder if I wasn't better off with my old PVS units. They were very sharp and crisp. Thermals have improved, and come down in price a whole lot, but the images are nowhere near as crisp as the old "starlight scopes".

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
....I moved to thermals some years go but sometimes wonder if I wasn't better off with my old PVS units. They were very sharp and crisp. Thermals have improved, and come down in price a whole lot, but the images are nowhere near as crisp as the old "starlight scopes".

I think different eyes see things differently, but while pricey, upper end thermal sights are stunning. I can see foraging field mice at a hundred yards, easily making out their form and movements. Count points on bucks, see quills on procupines, way more detail than full sun daylight. You probably have far more experience with the different types than I do, but it's a crazy look at details that are hard to image, wildgrass seed heads swaying in the breeze. Neat stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.