April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (battle, ClapperZapper, eightbore, Craigster, 2 invisible), 1,035 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,234
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone here use bismuth with spreaders for ducks over decoys?
I have a couple of nice pigeon guns that I am reluctant to open the chokes on, but man are they tight for avg 25-35 yd shots.
I would like to put the guns into my rotation, but I’m seeking performance re: about 18 points of constriction rather than the existing 35 and 45!
Any feedback welcome.
Best Regards,
JBP

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have just bought some X-Stream spreader inserts for the same experiment. A few shots on the grease plate at 35 yards with a 12 bore Greener Empire and a 10 bore Smallwood hammer gun were encouraging but I haven't had a chance to try them on ducks yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JB, I use very tightly choked vintage doubles on decoyed ducks with bismuth. I have used a Super Fox, an Ithaca Super Ten and an L C Smith 3E recently, all with .043+ choke constrictions. Some shots are close, some are mid-range, some are longish. I've not seen the need to open the pattern any. Dead is dead. People talk about "destroying meat" with super tight chokes but, IMO, that is overstated. I've never had a duck mangled, from using super tight chokes, to the point it wasn't highly edible.

If you're having a problem hitting them with those tight chokes, well that's a different and understandable issue. Never been a problem for me. I've gone 6 for 6 with my Super Fox over decoys, and on two of those 6 it was a true double .......... two mallards with one shot. (I had to shoot another one of the 6 twice, so it was 6 for 6)

BTW, hand loaded spreader loads and factory spreaders, in smaller shot sizes, have typically enlarged my patterns by one or two choke designations .... M to IC, IC to Sk, F to M, etc.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guess I need to practice using these pigeon guns on a skeet field-
You sir, sound to be an excellent shot!
Good hunting.
Best Regards,
JBP

Sidelock
Sidelock

I did not, by any stretch, mean to sound braggadocios. If I did I offer my apology. My duck shooting with tight chokes is just an extension of my sporting clays shooting for 20+ years with "tighter than usual" chokes, and my distaste of opening choke constrictions on vintage guns . It is my personal opinion that using tighter than needed chokes will make a better shot of you.

That said, I am beginning to have questions about the use of currently available bismuth through very tight chokes, and the issue of it fragmenting. I will be doing some testing in the near future to try to determine the extent of it in my guns.

Good hunting to you as well, J.B.

May God bless America and those who defend her.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.