April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (j7l2, Argo44, CJ Dawe, Tyler, Ted Schefelbein), 434 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,213
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
These are the exact two tools I use to grind pads to fit, Perry.

The links and descriptions are probably better than my pics would be, but I'll be glad to snap a few if there's any thing you'd like to know that's not shown on these links, or in the accompanying videos.

The jig ....... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007111917/?pid=658338

The disc sander ........ https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-1-14-hp-disc-sander-58862.html

Some craftsmen prefer other style jigs. There is a pendulum type that has received much praise, but every time I've tried to order one of them they're always out of stock. The Miles-Gilbert has worked perfectly well for me thus far.

Just build your own pendulum style. It's quite easy to do and works great. You can see many videos of people using this style of jig. This is one of the best, but there are many others.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you Stanton. I will have one on order from Midway today!! I already have the sander from Harbor Freight. Thanks also to Brent, but the video you attached is the making of a leather covered pad and shaping the pad is not shown. Interesting anyway!!

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is the same setup I have the one stan uses I have been using it for over 30 years works great simple effective

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jigs? I only use them for leather covered pads, otherwise I grind all my pads installed on the gun using a belt sander. Learned that way back in school and I have always gotten my best results with that method.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Jigs? I only use them for leather covered pads, otherwise I grind all my pads installed on the gun using a belt sander. Learned that way back in school and I have always gotten my best results with that method.

How do you protect the stock? Tape?

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Perry M. Kissam
Originally Posted by SKB

How do you protect the stock? Tape?

Yes, blue masking tape works well. Take it down to the tape, as close as you can without hitting the stock on the belt sander, then polish the remainder with emery cloth on a file, a hobby stick, etc., again using tape to protect the stock. Careful work and you get a nice clean fit.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not that brave I use the jig

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB

You are braver and a bit more practiced than some of us, I suspect. smile

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Perry M. Kissam
Thank you Stanton. I will have one on order from Midway today!! I already have the sander from Harbor Freight. Thanks also to Brent, but the video you attached is the making of a leather covered pad and shaping the pad is not shown. Interesting anyway!!

You just skip the leather part. There really isn't any difference otherwise. Works for me at least. This video and one other were all I needed to get started doing my own pads.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

That video was eye-opening. Merci, Professeur.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.