May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, bushveld, FlyChamps, SKB), 733 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,511
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a question regarding using steel shot and shooting through an improved modified choke. Maybe this is a stupid question, but now I’m unsure.

I have a modern AyA 4/53 BL with steel shot proofing (Fleur de lis stamped on the barrel flats). I bought it specifically for use with steel shot if need be going into the future, but have never used it with steel shot to-date. When I bought the shotgun it was tagged as having modified x modified chokes. When I got the gun, I measured the chokes with a choke gauge, and found one barrel measures modified and one measures improved modified.

Tamid’s thread re: pressure variances, got me thinking about the potential riveling of a shotgun barrel. I think I have personally seen that once with my friend’s Ruger Red Label 20 gauge. I had noticed the barrel had little wavy bulges down through the barrel. I had questioned him about it and he told me that he once tried a couple steel shot shells through it. I told him my thought was that it may have happened from him shooting steel shot through too tight of a choke.

Anyway, I certainly don’t want to bugger up my expensive nice AyA. So my question, if the barrels are marked as steel shot proof, then is it still okay to shoot with an improved modified choke? I use to hunt ducks and geese back in the 1980’s before steel shot became mandatory, then stopped, so I have never used steel shot in any of my guns to-date.

I know with our old vintage shotguns, the rule is use nothing tighter than a modified choke with standard steel shot.
_____
TC

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

]

Last edited by Jimmy W; 12/16/23 11:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the largest steel shot you intend to use?
What gauge?? If 12 gauge #3 is the largest that I would shoot with it,

PLEASE send AyA an email and ask them.

aya@aya-fineguns.com

Last edited by skeettx; 11/21/23 11:15 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
1 member likes this: Tim Cartmell
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

]

Last edited by Jimmy W; 12/16/23 11:34 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Guys,

12 gauge, fixed chokes. When I use to hunt ducks and geese, the largest shot size I used were #4. I had a look through the little AyA Booklet that came with the shotgun, but nothing about the use of steel shot, only real general stuff, re: Safety, Assembly, Loading and operating, Disassembly, and Maintenance. They gave me a copy of the Official Proof Certificate marked for steel proof with the three stars of choke mark, both barrels.

_____
TC

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Yep. skeettx is right. You might just want to send AYA an email and find out for sure. You'll probably get an answer within a day. Good luck!!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys.
_____
TC

Sidelock
Sidelock

CIP “Standard Proof” is for lead OR STEEL (limited to no larger than 3.25 mm / U.S. No. 4s and max. fps 1,300) ie. target/game loads, and without choke restriction (but I still wouldn't use full in a light weight game gun)
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=598636

This is from the Gamebore site

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would have to concur with Drew above. If you measure the constriction of a full choke on an unmodified barrel and then measure the choke on a full choke insert the constriction is the same, roughly. I don't think that little thin walled insert will stop bulging. Perhaps if using a smaller shot size but I have never done that. I have Browning Citori's that have been set to modified in 3" chambers and I use #2 and BB Steel and have for more than 20 years in one of them with no problems. But I did have a stevens 311A with full chokes. One day while shooting and that was just before steel was mandatory, I ran out of shells and I asked my hunting partner to pass me a couple of shells in the heat of the moment. He was shooting steel shells in 2 3/4, BB, which I didn't realize till after the fact. Both my barrels budged. I only mention this because the wall thickness on the 311 was around .035.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tim, you said you measured the chokes with a choke gauge. Did you use a wedge shaped "pocket gauge" or a micrometer type gauge?

And if you did use a mike what were the actual constrictions, from bore diameter?

There are different ideas about what constriction constitutes a given choke designation, such as Improved Modified. I like the chart that is on Hallowell's site, which shows Improved Modified in a 12 bore to be .024" to .031". Is yours that tight?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.