March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#50526 07/30/07 06:53 PM
OP Offline

Hello,

I know this has been covered before, but.....

1.) Is there anything I should be aware of before I waltz (or maybe I should just walk.... ) into the post office w/ my unloaded firearm to send to a gunsmith?
2.) Where are the post office regulations on-line so I can beat the postmasters over the head with their own regulations should there be a problem?
3.) Where can suitable packing material be obtained? I've heard of some people using cheap plastic cases. Is this the best way?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Doerner

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I'd put it in a box first~!

I mail long guns all the time (NO AMMUNITION)

If the clerk doesn't like it, ask for the postmaster. Very easy to do.

plastic cases work, cardboard, peanuts, plastic wrap. Lots of stuff works. A packed box, packed inside another box with peanuts in between is one of my favorites.

Ask for a confirmation of delivery and issure it, of course.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Registered mail is the way to go. Has to be signed for by everyone that touches it. Do not use clear tape on the box. you have to use that brown paper tape so they can stamp all over it.

At least that was my last experience. No problems with the clerk. He knew the drill.

CB

APS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I only ship on Moday or Tuesday so there is little chance of it sitting over a weekend.

al

APS #50544 07/30/07 09:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I used to brown tape the entire box but found out recently that I only need to brown tape all the seams. Apparently it makes it easier to see if the box has been tampered with. Insurance is cheaper by registered also.

I also believe that you are supposed to notify them in writing that it is an unloaded firearm. They looked at it the first time, the second time they just threw it away. Now I just write it on any scrap of paper, "I am shipping an unloaded long gun."

Rob

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Forget the foam peanuts. Your gunsmith may treat you more fairly if you use bubble wrap or newspaper.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen to that! Foam peanuts reaaly bite. Bubble wrap is easier for the recieving party, plus I think it works better anyway

skunk out
OP Offline

That'll work guys. Anyplace that sells a long box? Uhaul?

Mike Doerner

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: I. Flues
That'll work guys. Anyplace that sells a long box? Uhaul?

Mike Doerner

Make one -- find some heavy cardboard from an appliance dealer (e.g., Sears, Best Buy) and make a smallish box and then put that box inside a bigger box.

Pack the gun with the barrels off.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just noticed this morning that MidwayUSA sells cardboard boxes lined with "egg crate" foam for about $14.00 a pop expressly for shipping long guns. I would describe them as a cardboard version of a doskocil-type gun case. They look to be very convient to use, and are probably easily re-used too. I bought a half-dozen, myself.

--shinbone

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.