May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (SKB, Sandlapper, Momslefever, 3 invisible), 263 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,553
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
I read five pages on the Westley Richards site and never did see any information on the shells in question. Reload. End of story.

https://www.westleyrichards.com/us/theexplora/

scroll down and look to right side.

Last edited by bushveld; 10/17/23 03:05 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

well, so what if gun is out of proof...unless you plan to export it from the good old usa back to england...

what is more important, are the barrel wall thicknesses, particularily in front of the chambers...

and of course the ammo you plan to shoot...

but then, if you dont mind being ripped off by the purveyors of 2 1/2" shells or making your own reloads, then go ahead and pursue these more costly alternatives...

as for value of altered guns, some collectors may want guns to be as original as possible...

and some shooters like guns with chambers safely altered to shoot a variety of readily available ammo...

like some other questions, there is no one answer to this one...

Last edited by ed good; 10/17/23 06:13 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have an idea why B&P USA does not seem to offer subgauge hunting loads anymore? If you look at their US web site, just 12 gauge. They offered some of the best 16 gauge loads in the past. I assume this might be because Fiocchi bought B&P and probably think they offer enough in their product line but (to my knowledge) the Fiocchi loads are not loaded to CIP standards like the B&P loads were/are. Plus you could get pressure info in the Italien web site.

Bruce

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bruce: The best source I've found for B&P shells has been Natchez. They do have 28g, .410 and a few 20g loads, but some are out-of-stock. It's worth keeping an eye on the website. Shipping to AZ though is about $20/case frown I assume by pack train down the Mogollon.
https://www.natchezss.com/ammunition/shotgun-ammunition?brand=baschieri-pellagri

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's been proven time and time again...you can shoot appropriate 2 3/4 low pressure shells in guns with 2 1/2 chambers. Chamber pressure is increased very little. Read the Sherman Bell article. I've been shooting 2 3/4 shells in my 2 1/2 guns for over 30 years. If you are a purest, then cut down the 2 3/4 shells. Either way you are going to end up reloading unless you can find RST's or some other retail offering. Don't lengthen your chambers!

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, I'm OK for a while as I have enough right now to start a revolution, but was bummed that they appeared to stop selling the sub-gauge stuff. I would buy a flat every year prior to goint to MT and shoot 2 boxes. If that much. The previous distributers had lots of specials and shipping was included. I guess those were the good old days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

12bore is correct when discussing 12b guns. Bell's average increase was 700 psi but one load increased pressure 1200 psi.

There is however NO modern data regarding the pressure rise using long for chamber 16g and 20g shells.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, 12boreman
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.