April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (buckstix, Jimmy W, barrel browner, Jtplumb, 2 invisible), 409 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,201
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

GSI dropped the importation of merkel several years ago

John Boyd
Quality Arms

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’m by no means a Merkel or German gun aficionado, but I recently worked on a late 90’s 147E. So I’ve been into a couple of these types of actions.

I’ve been thinking about your dilemma, it’s an odd thing that’s happening for sure. Has your gunsmith checked he position of the over hanging sear guide (the cone shaped rod that the sear spring rides on). Have you confirmed that the guide is in the correct position, is it straight or slightly bent….and that the coil spring moves (contracts and expands) smoothly? Obviously he’s removed the Sears and tumblers to work on the trigger pulls, so we can pretty much rule out burrs, bent, etc.
Highly doubtful the action is getting so hot with a few shots fired that heat would be an issue. Can you confirm that there’s not any gas leaks from pierced primers that is blowing into the action maybe causing an issue??
These actions are not overly complex. Your guns issues are really odd.
Have you actually seen the work he’s done to your sear and tumbler?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by arrieta2
GSI dropped the importation of merkel several years ago

John Boyd
Quality Arms

Thanks for letting me know. Does anyone import them now? GSI might still know something about them, if GSI is still in business, but could be a bit of along shot.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
I’m by no means a Merkel or German gun aficionado

Now, there is an understatement. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, is there any pattern that you can see when this occurs? Does it begin after a random number of shots fired, or after a right then left (or vice versa)? Try to determine that to help figure if it's recoil related, or otherwise.

If all else fails, and it were mine, I'd send it to Phillip Crenwelge in Emory, TX. He is a gunsmith of German descent and is the finest trigger man I've ever known. He has sorted out many, many issues with triggers on all types of guns. It may even be worth a call to him just to talk about it. He doesn't always answer during his working hours but he'll usually return the call. His number is 210-313-5988.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Mark, is there any pattern that you can see when this occurs? Does it begin after a random number of shots fired, or after a right then left (or vice versa)? Try to determine that to help figure if it's recoil related, or otherwise.

The problem occurs after about a dozen shots total from when the back "was" functioning at 6 Lbs.
The stock and trigger place have been removed for inspection twice after the first malfunction (on total shots since brand new (15)) and the problem reoccurred at about a dozen shots total.

Originally Posted by LeFusil
I’m by no means a Merkel or German gun aficionado, but I recently worked on a late 90’s 147E. So I’ve been into a couple of these types of actions.

I’ve been thinking about your dilemma, it’s an odd thing that’s happening for sure. Has your gunsmith checked he position of the over hanging sear guide (the cone shaped rod that the sear spring rides on). Have you confirmed that the guide is in the correct position, is it straight or slightly bent….and that the coil spring moves (contracts and expands) smoothly? Obviously he’s removed the Sears and tumblers to work on the trigger pulls, so we can pretty much rule out burrs, bent, etc.
Highly doubtful the action is getting so hot with a few shots fired that heat would be an issue. Can you confirm that there’s not any gas leaks from pierced primers that is blowing into the action maybe causing an issue??
These actions are not overly complex. Your guns issues are really odd.
Have you actually seen the work he’s done to your sear and tumbler?

Great information!!!
I cannot answer all of this by I will forward to my gunsmith.
There is another flaw with the rifle that as you mentioned may be causing this. I didn't think that gas was entering the action but maybe I was wrong...
The image below of the left side of the standing breach is after less than 25 rounds fired from that barrel (50 rounds total).
Admittedly I did not anneal my brass before reloading. The primers were not blown and there was no noticeable blow by marks on the brass. Still, this is ugly...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 09/23/23 08:13 AM.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ellenbr
Being >>Captain Obvious<<, the issue is recoil dependent. I wonder if somehow on of your fingers is affecting the performance?

But I would remove the Safety, or disengage it if possible, & see if the situation repeats. How much recoil are we talking about?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Gosh, I thought I was Captain Obvious... smile
After the first 12 pound trigger problem, my smith shortened the automatic safety connecting mechanism. He said that he could not remove it but that shortening it would remove the auto safety function while allowing manual safety operation.
We also checked that the 12 pound trigger is not tight against the sear. There is a little play in it when cocked.

As for recoil, this is a 11.5 pound 375 H&H. Recoil is just a positive reassurance of its powere going downrange.
For me, a 416 Remington's recoil gets my attention. My .458 WIn Heym 88B double rifle has significant recoil.
Then for some strange reason there is a 450 Rigby on a Vektor magnum length Mauser action- that followed me home that is down right impolite concerning recoil! A 500 grain bullet at 2450 fps is more than I enjoy!

Last edited by Mark Ouellette; 09/23/23 07:58 AM.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis

If all else fails, and it were mine, I'd send it to Phillip Crenwelge in Emory, TX. He is a gunsmith of German descent and is the finest trigger man I've ever known. He has sorted out many, many issues with triggers on all types of guns. It may even be worth a call to him just to talk about it. He doesn't always answer during his working hours but he'll usually return the call. His number is 210-313-5988.

As I posted earlier, this problem occurs after disassembling and reassembling the rifle. 6 pounds to start then after a dozen shot total (both barrels, alternating) the left trigger is at 12 lbs.

Thanks for Phillip Crenwelge's contact info. Trigger work is an expertise all its own.

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, there’s definitely something causing some gas to escape and leave marks on your breach and action face. You’re right, that’s definitely no Bueno. Next thing I would do is check the condition of the tumbler to see if there’s any signs of that gas making it back into the action….if it is, the face of the tumbler will also be scorched.
You said the trigger wiggles and isn’t tight when it switches to its 12 lbs pull phenomenon……has your gunsmith checked to see that the tumbler is at full cock or is the sear resting in the intercepting/safety bent instead of being in the bent at full cock? If that’s the case, somethings gotta be causing the tumbler to come out of full cock and resting in the intercepting bent which would definitely explain the heavy trigger pull.
If the tumbler and sear are dirty, I’d highly polish them both, reinstall without lube and try and see if you can see any abnormal drag/friction marks. It would explain a lot seeing where the parts are resting when the 12 lbs pulls are happening.

Just FYI….JJ Perodeau is a very good mechanic when it comes to issues like this. The escaping gas on the left barrel is fairly concerning.

1 member likes this: Mark Ouellette
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark, not familiar with Merkels or boxlock guns but I still think it is a sear problem. I agree to what Rainey states, disconnect the safety as I think the recoil has something to do with it. Reading up on a few sites the only thing I saw on this model was "doubling. I would contact Merkel and asked them.
Why it only happens after 12-15 shots is the $100 question.

David

2 members like this: BrentD, Prof, Mark Ouellette
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.