May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (WJW, Argo44, NCTarheel, Ted Schefelbein), 308 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,570
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#635715 09/20/23 11:26 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Preliminary review of this new powder. Loads published for 12ga. only at this time. It's a very fine grain ball powder.

I bought 3 cans of this stuff when it was available. It may be available again, who knows.

It does work in 12 gauge target loads. I loaded it to max published pressure to evaluate it under best conditions.

Smokey, leaves hands dirty about like the Red Dot of old. No great amount of unburned powder at an advertised 10,600 psi. Barrels reasonably clean.

This is a very dense powder, although not as dense as their bushing chart indicates. The chart called for a MEC #18, my lot requires a #20 for the 16.4 grain published load.

Might be just the thing for 2 1/2" 12 gauge loads should some data appear or some dedicated experimenter develop loads for that application.

It's peachy in the AAHS which contrary to claims otherwise DO have less internal capacity than the compression formed hulls they replaced.

I've not used this in a gas auto. I'm rather spoiled by Titewad in that application.

The idea was to save some money as the cost of Alliant powders has gone through the roof when you can even find the overpriced stuff.

I swear the industry is trying to kill itself off.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
1 member likes this: Jimmy W
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks so much for the input, Shotgunjones. Very useful info, indeed!! You are right about the price of powder going off of the chart. Keep shooting!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've only shot a few shells with PPP. I do not reload it at this time. But if you are thinking about reloading, this thread may prove useful
https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/perfect-pattern-not-so-perfect.563526/#post-4934321

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Also, it is available at BPI and PR. cheaper at the latter, even accounting for BPI's coupons.

_________

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I reload with Titewad. I have since I bought my first trap gun at Jaqua's and started reloading over 20 years ago. I won't change powder just because of prices and throw my whole shooting/reloading world out of kilter. I have always used the same recipe, pretty much for 12 gauge shooting. The only other powder I reload with is International Clays and that is for 20 gauge. Most of the spill I get is from static electricity. Dumping into the scales and back into the hull. I tried a ground wire going from my MEC reloader to the water pipe above my reloading bench. Doesn't help much. I could run a humidifier but my basement where my reloaders are- is damp. I don't believe that anyone is going to reload without getting SOME spillage. Yes, it is expensive to reload, collect and shoot guns. I chose that over getting a boat. Or a swimming pool. Or a set of golf clubs that are going to end up in the lake or wrapped around a tree. So, good luck with what you gentlemen choose.

Break 'em all!
---------------------

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
I've only shot a few shells with PPP. I do not reload it at this time. But if you are thinking about reloading, this thread may prove useful
https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/perfect-pattern-not-so-perfect.563526/#post-4934321
After reading this thread, it makes me wonder about the charge bars being unlevel. So, I took a metal flat edge and checked. They are right. I can see light between the flat edge and the charge bar...... But these guys are taking their charge bars and (one guy is) filing them down with a file and the other is grinding them down with sandpaper. I looked at mine and there is already play in my MEC charge bars when I jiggle it up and down. So, wouldn't this grinding and filing cause MORE of a gap between the charge bar and the machine and cause even MORE powder to seep out between the two. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy,
I don't use a MEC, but you are reading my mind perfectly.

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I only loaded and shot 300 AA shells with PP. They were consistent.

My setup is a Grabber 761R from 1981 and a red PC powder baffle. No problems.

The only time I had powder bridging was with International in a 20 gauge Grabber with the same PC baffle.

I use the standard MEC grommet and brass washer with that loader and powder now. Fixed the problem.

That brass washer is a wear item. A fresh washer and only moderate torque on the powder bottle and ball powders run fine in MEC loaders.

I'm of the opinion that most squibs loaded on MEC equipment are not in fact from powder bridging but rather from migration of that brass washer - it slides back and forth instead of staying put and partially blocks the powder drop.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
After reading this thread, it makes me wonder about the charge bars being unlevel. So, I took a metal flat edge and checked. They are right. I can see light between the flat edge and the charge bar...... But these guys are taking their charge bars and (one guy is) filing them down with a file and the other is grinding them down with sandpaper. I looked at mine and there is already play in my MEC charge bars when I jiggle it up and down. So, wouldn't this grinding and filing cause MORE of a gap between the charge bar and the machine and cause even MORE powder to seep out between the two. smile

My first shotshell reloader, many years ago, was a used Texan single stage. I loaded so much more with it that I began to get a lot of powder migration and spillage from around the charge bar. I made a shim from a piece of thin brass sheet that I fitted beneath the shot bar. I put an appropriate size hole in it directly above the drop tube, and bent the (short) ends down at a 90 degree angle to hold it in place. It worked perfectly with my old charge bar(s). When I bought an adjustable charge bar for it I found the shim was no longer needed. I've since scrapped that old loader, in favor of dedicated MECs, but it served me well for many years.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve never heard of Perfect Pattern, much less used it. I don’t understand the powder companies with their plethora of specialty powders. Just make the Red Dot and the Clays. You can have the rest of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.