April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,059 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#635389 09/11/23 09:14 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Greetings all from Vermont. I recently found this page and am full of questions, but figured I'd sit back for a while before I posted. As a younger man I hunted grouse (AKA pa'tridges in these parts) & woodcock over Gordon Setters that my ex and I raised. I had not had a bird dog in years until we got an English Setter pup about 2 years ago. I was saying that I might not have enough fuel left in my tank to train another dog, but "Sonny" changed my mind soon after we brought him home. Since getting such a classy dog, I thought was high time to step up my shotgun battery from a few beater pumps and a Savage Stevens 20 ga SxS that I had cut down to 21 inches. I ended up with a 1926 LC Smith ideal grade 20ga that I got from the breeder who is an accumulator of old Parkers. Learned all about 2 1/2 shells and their notable absence from most shops. Recently went to an auction and picked up a V Benelli Gamecock Ultralight 20 and an Ithaca Flues 20. Lots of questions on these, especially the Ithaca. This looks like a great place full of knowledgeable folks. On my way right now to have an excellent gunsmith check out the Ithaca. Looking forward to spending time on this board.

3 members like this: Jimmy W, playing hooky, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the Forum.

You will find many sensible and helpful contributors here.

As to 2 1/2 inch shells, plenty on this side of the pond but you would have to put up with our gun laws (and the impending lead ban!)

Last edited by Parabola; 09/11/23 09:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

RST 2.5-inch 20 gauge

Welcome! RST does sell low pressure shells for short chambered vintage guns, but their inventory is limited and only intermittently available. Today they do list as available 20 gauge 2.5 inch shells, 3/4 ounces and only #9 shot. Their shells sell out pretty quickly and if you want to buy them you need to check the website frequently, or I think they may be willing to notify you of availability if you contact them.
I have been handloading for a couple of short chambered English guns I have (16 and 20 gauge) and find it enjoyable. If you are interested in going the handloading route I would be happy to share what I have learned about it.
Many others on this site are more knowledgeable than I about the guns you have acquired. The LC Smith 20 gauge is certainly a great start.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes!! Welcome to the board. You're just in time for the food fight. Seriously....... it sounds like you have a nice collection of guns. These guys are great . I learn a lot from them, too. Enjoy!! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the board from a fellow grouse and woodcock hunter. As the season is upon us, enjoy the coming season and post often!
Karl

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the lc smith has 23/4 chambers and that gun is fairly modern by my sxs standards

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Bernardelli would have 2 3/4”. Chambers

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

greetings from across the river in nh...

as for your 20 ga flues, they are delightfully light little grouse and woodcock guns...however, the old wood is often quite fragile...so, shoot 3/4 oz loads...and baby it...

regarding lengthening 2 1/2" chambers...most american made guns have enough barrel wall thicknesses in front of the chambers to safely lengthen to 2 3/4"...consult a gunsmith with lots of experience with american made guns...before doing so...

for reference, my gunsmith for over 20 years, used a general guideline that required .090 or better of barrel wall in front of chambers, before considering removing metal...

and then, some here will argue that it is ok to shoot 2 3/4" shells in old guns with short chambers...and that lengthening chambers serves little positive purpose...

in any event, enjoy this coming season in your wonderful green mountains of vermont...

Last edited by ed good; 09/11/23 05:55 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the board, from a fellow grouse hunter and antique/vintage gun user. Have a great season!

Yes, there is much to read and enjoy on this board. Happy reading!

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the welcome and info. I know about the RST shells and have managed to squirrel away a few boxes. On the lookout for more, and hoping the supply thing will loosen up a bit in time like it has with other ammo. I have a few buddies that are serious skeet / clay shooters and reloaders too. I'm lucky enough to have found an excellent gunsmith that is extremely knowledgeable about old doubles , and is located an hour away in Woodstock VT. I also bought my NH license and am planning hunting in the Northwoods of the Granite State with my Setter. And he's, I never lose sight of the fact that I'm blessed to live in such a beautiful place. Thanks, all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.