April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (CJF, Vol423, buckstix, 1 invisible), 449 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#635316 09/09/23 07:45 PM
spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I’m looking at a new gun that has a slightly longer LOP than I’d like… it’s 15” and I need 14 3/4”. The needed adjustment is small, but I’m thinking that just a thinner pad will do it as I’d prefer not to cut the stock.
Take a look at this pad. Think there’s a thinner pad that would work? Who would you recommend to handle this?

[Linked Image from iili.io]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably just a nice horn butt plate, usually.25” thick. Not much of a pad there. I think Larry at Dutchman woodworks makes a nice one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Microcell pads come as thin as 11mm. That would probably be just about perfect.

I would do it myself.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Think the pad would be too thin for a leather covered pad? I had Paul Hodgins do one for me a couple of years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by spring
Think the pad would be too thin for a leather covered pad?

Which pad? The one I posted? No.

_________

1 member likes this: spring
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have SKB do it. You won't be disappointed.

_________

1 member likes this: RARiddell
Sidelock
Sidelock

What kind/brand of gun is it? How thick is that pad that is on there? Do you have to replace it with a pad? Would a buttplate suffice? I don't believe I would mess up a pad that nice over 1/4 of an inch. I would ADAPT. smile Good luck.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
spring Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
What kind/brand of gun is it? How thick is that pad that is on there? Do you have to replace it with a pad? Would a buttplate suffice? I don't believe I would mess up a pad that nice over 1/4 of an inch. I would ADAPT. smile Good luck.

Jimmy,
I haven’t held the gun yet; leaving it as is would be nice but getting the gun fit right for me certainly has appeal. I don’t know the exact size of the current pad but it does appear that a thinner pad could be an option without cutting the wood. The current pad, I think, was put on by H&H.
Leather pads are nice and ideally I’d like to stay with that.
Thanks, Jimmy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you are careful, you could probably pull that pad off- Take needle nosed pliers down in and pull the plugs out to get to the screws. ( I take a belt sander) Then just grind a little off of the gun. After doing that, it still would be a good length if you ever decided to sell it. Then you could put that pad back on. Or you could just get a thinner pad. If it was put on by H&H, you could also put one of their pads or butt plate on it and still have it original. (I like original) You have a lot of options. It looks like a nice gun. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
If you are careful, you could probably pull that pad off- Take needle nosed pliers down in and pull the plugs out to get to the screws. ( I take a belt sander) Then just grind a little off of the gun. After doing that, it still would be a good length if you ever decided to sell it. Then you could put that pad back on. Or you could just get a thinner pad. If it was put on by H&H, you could also put one of their pads or butt plate on it and still have it original. (I like original) You have a lot of options. It looks like a nice gun. Good luck.

Looks like nice wood, anyway.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.