Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Flychamps: This gun was dated to just a bit earlier than mine (I'd have to read the article again, but something like 1864-65):

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Your gun looks (at least to me) to be centerfire all the way (the "coves" on the standing breech are a dead give-a-way). In 1866, things were clearly in a flux, with Lang producing guns on a variety of actions. From what I've read, guns were also being converted from muzzleloading to breechloading there concurrently. Mine dates to 1866 as well (in "the book") but it's clearly been converted from a pinfire. You can't see them here (very cleverly done), but there are filled holes on the tops of the tubes.

If I hadn't shot it so-well on clays I'd likely not bother, but it'll be fun to try it out on wild birds. It is so-thin and lively (for it's type), it should be a pleasure to carry. All I need is a few "dumb" ones to cooperate, or have them "go" in predictable places (which does happen up there on occasion).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/02/23 03:20 PM.
1 member likes this: Parabola
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I am alone in a blind I hunt waterfowl with cocked hammers but never when someone else is nearby. In clays, I find that cocking them is a great pre-shot ritual before calling pull.

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

I grew up hunting with a hammer SxS, never knew better than to be intimidated by hammer and flushing birds. I killed my first grouse on the wing with one near Stevens Point and my first pheasant near Racine and pretty much everything I killed was with a hammer gun. Reach pulled the right hammer as I was bringing tthe gun to my shoulder. IF I needed another round it wasn't that slow to reach up and pull the second hammer. Wish I had some pictures from the 50's and 60's. I hunted a number of years with a Beretta O/U percussion shotgun and it worked on grouse and ducks in MN and N. WI.. I still rely on a hammer shotgun for ducks. I used a hammer drilling doing control work in southern WI in the 1960's and still kill some coyotes with it.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Mine aren't fancy but still do the job

The hammer shotgun from my youth, it hung in my BinL's country grocery store with my old-time ice harvesting gear and some of my collectable trapping gear until he sold the place, now it all adorns his livingroom and entry way with his big bass and antler collection.

I did gothrough a period of modern equipment but 20 yrs ago started to phase them out again.

Last edited by oskar; 09/02/23 06:03 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
3 members like this: Parabola, Jimmy W, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Got any pics of a limit of wild Chukar, Huns or sharptails with a hammergun?

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here’s a George Daw with Huns and a Webley with ruffed grouse…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
3 members like this: Lloyd3, Parabola, SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cazar con armas de martillos o perrillos es algo muy especial. Se puede cazar al salto siempre que tengamos cuidado y precaución. Yo cacé con una escopeta belga del 16. Llevaba un martillo montado y mi dedo pulgar en el otro preparado por si arrancaba una pieza, siempre con los cañones hacia arriba.

Ahora cazo con una escopeta monotiro del 28 con martillo. Lo hago sin problema cazando al salto y en puesto. Sólo monto el martillo antes de disparar; y si no lo hago lo desmonto con cuidado y fácilmente.

Cazar y tirar con escopetas o rifles de martillos nos da sensaciones muy especiales y distintas.

Saludos y buena caza.

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

It must be remembered that most hammerless guns are carried cocked. On most, if there are no intercepting sears, the safety only blocks the triggers and are no different to a cocked hammer gun being carried. Lagopus.....

3 members like this: LGF, Hammergun, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many of us are a bit anal about hammer guns and their safety and their cocking. Simply put, a hammer gun shouldn't be carried cocked, that solving the safety problem. Next is the cocking. When your dog is on point, cock both barrels. If a bird flushes unexpectedly, a right handed shooter should mount and cock the left hammer at the same time. When the mount is complete, the right hammer is cocked and firing commences. It sounds like it takes a lot of time, but really it doesn't.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lagopus
It must be remembered that most hammerless guns are carried cocked. On most, if there are no intercepting sears, the safety only blocks the triggers and are no different to a cocked hammer gun being carried. Lagopus.....

Exactly. I know people who hunt with old pigeons guns, no safeties. Manufrance Ideals (terrible safety design, better to not use it at all in most instances), Darnes, etc. Muzzle control, safe handling, unloading, opening the action, lowering the hammers or putting on the safety when crossing obstacles, etc and above all, using the safety between your ears is vastly more important than putting your faith into a mechanical safety. Like you said…most safeties block the triggers from being pulled, they don’t do anything to prevent a sear from being accidentally jarred or knocked out of bent.

4 members like this: Lloyd3, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, Robt. Harris
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lagopus

I'd say they are quite different. Remarkably so.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.