April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (earlyriser), 428 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#634954 09/01/23 03:15 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've tried this before with a light, little 20-bore 1892 Thomas Bland. That gun had rebounding hammers (and sadly, splotchy patterns) and I only tried it a few times on grouse before I knew it was pointless for me to continue. Jump forward 20 plus years, I'm in a different place now (in oh... so-many ways) and I'm going to try it again, this time with a converted Lang pinfire in 12. Light and surprisingly slim for a hammer-gun, it's been very effective for me on clays. Upon first use, the hammers (which do not drop out of sight) bothered me a little but... after shooting it on sporting clays with the Vintagers a few weeks ago, they completely disappeared for me and I really started shooting it very well (to say that I was pleasantly surprised would be putting it mildly). Mind you, most of those targets were closer, with lots of incomers and crossers. Longer shots will likely be more of a challenge as this gun has no chokes (not an option in 1866!). Game farm birds over dogs will likely be a no-brainer and cocking one hammer before a shot is actually quite a seamless process. However, follow-up shots are painfully slow with those non-rebounders (surprisingly slow for someone who's used to modern ejector guns). Bridging both hammers with my thumb from half-cock isn't exactly easy, but it is quite doable. With practice (& good gloves) I believe that it will almost become second-nature, but we'll see. Since it's a side-lever variant, I can even open it with the hammers fully-cocked (which adds yet another option). Since I'm usually hunting alone, I can always just walk with the barrels up in a "hot" gun situation (in only the most "grousey" of covers!) and then being very-mindful of my footing & circumstances, but I'd rather not get too-comfortable with that set of challenges. What says the cognoscenti here on the subject?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/01/23 04:21 PM.
2 members like this: Parabola, Jimmy W
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not me. I don't trust myself enough to do it. Clays, yes.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ll use a hammergun on doves but not walked up game.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Oh yee of little faith!

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/01/23 04:02 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eeb
I’ll use a hammergun on doves but not walked up game.

I use one fairly often for pheasants over a flushing dog, but it has to be the right hammer gun.. They were not all created.equal.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a good place to ask a question no one at Bull Run Sporting Clays has a clue about. When shooting sporting clays with a hammer gun. Do you wait until the clay is launched to cock the hammer, shoulder and shoot? Or cock the hammers and wait for launch. I've been doing the latter but it sort of seems like cheating. (I suppose if you are walk up hunting with a dog and he goes to point you would cock your hammers.)

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cock the hammers prior to calling for the bird just as you would click off a safety on a hammerless gun. I’ve been shooting my hammerguns a lot the past couple weeks in preparation to winning the world championship at the Vintagers next week.

Sidelock
Sidelock

eeb, I'm going to drive up Friday morning and spend the day. I'll bring my hammer 12 bore but probably won't shoot (otherwise you would(not) be in trouble). Just intend to look, browse, hang-out, talk and hope to meet some of the posters here. (I did meet several a couple of years ago at the Southern).

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

there is a theory that some grouse hunters shoot to quickly before they get on the bird...

perhaps, the need to cock the hammers allows more time to focus and get on the bird before pulling a trigger...

there is only one way ro find out..

should you decide to accept this asignment, do try it this fall and pls report back to us...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll be at the Vintagers next week and will shoot my Joseph Lang hammer gun from 1866. I cock both hammers before calling for the bird, but my non-rebounding 16 gauge is easy to cock both hammers from half-cock to full-cock with a single movement of my thumb.

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.