April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Birdog), 1,189 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tamid
I shoot trap at 16yds with an extra full choked Beretta (0.685) If I used spreaders I wonder how much difference that would make on my hit percentage. For grouse in the woods I like a 30" barrel, choked modified or less, sometimes full in the left and mod to open in the right. I don't miss too many unless I'm slow off the starting line. Just not sure what spreaders would achieve in my case.

I think you might be a MUCH better shot than me. smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would the X-Stream spreaders work in a 10 bore? Mine is choked very tight but I don't want to open it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They "work" in any gauge. How much they open the pattern is a result of many factors, but gauge is not one of them, IMO. The working principle is the same regardless the bore size.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some before and after pictures.

The hole in the pattern board is 4" for reference, D= 16 yds

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

You used a spreader for the second one? Looks a little more like what you want to achieve.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No. Opened the choke

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice result. How much did you open it?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by playing hooky
Nice result. How much did you open it?

Quite a bit. 0.020 or close to it.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot trap at 16yds with an extra full choked Beretta (0.685) If I used spreaders I wonder how much difference that would make on my hit percentage. For grouse in the woods I like a 30" barrel, choked modified or less, sometimes full in the left and mod to open in the right. I don't miss too many unless I'm slow off the starting line. Just not sure what spreaders would achieve in my case.
If you have a Beretta, doesn't it have screw in chokes? Why not just put in a more open choke for trap? Or maybe it doesn't have screw in chokes?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last spring, I bought a new Browning BT-99. I had not shot but a few rounds of clay (trap) targets in about 6-8 years. I was really struggling- lucky to break 12-15 at singles. And I was disappointed I didn't do better with the Browning. So I put it back in the safe and pulled out the ol' Ljutic. 9.6 pounds. It took me a while to get my timing back, but I started shooting a lot better. It has a full choke. 33" barrel. Al Ljutic taught people to shoot his guns at the target when it reaches its apex (or the peak of its arch.) That's the way I shoot. I don't shoot at the target when it is on its rise. That way, it makes the target appear to be stationary (unmoving) on your straight aways. Of course, trap shooters stack the beads on their guns because if they shoot at a rising target, they have to stack the beads on the gun. But if I shoot at a target that appears to be sitting still, I have to align the beads rather than stack them. That means the target is going to be out there a lot farther if I wait to shoot at a target when it reaches its peak. But the loads that I use, catch up to the target very quickly. .........I went back last week and pulled out the Browning and had to figure out which choke to use. The gun came with an IM choke, so that is the one I used. Last week I broke my first 25 straight at singles trap in probably a decade. Did you ever get in one of the modes where you felt like you could hit everything with your eyes closed? The second round I broke 23. But I'll stick with the IM choke for now. It works fine at longer distances. Yesterday I faltered and broke 23 & 21. I noticed with the IM choke, I can shoot anywhere around the target within a foot (except for behind it) and the IM choke will break the target. I get tired very quickly. But I'm happy........... Tamid, if you use a full choke, it will make you a lot better shooter. That is what I should be doing. But I am going to keep the open IM choke at singles trap for a little while. Then maybe work my way down to a full choke. Thanks guys. Take care.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 09/15/23 03:38 PM.
2 members like this: Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.