April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, Jtplumb, Jem Finch, 1 invisible), 840 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,839
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys: As always, good advice and interesting anecdotes as well. My son already shoots some right-handed guns (pumps, autos, levers), but I just couldn't figure out how it would work with a bolt gun. The Ruger No. 1 is the way I've been leaning, or if I can find a good lefty bolt gun in the right caliber sometime soon, I'll go that route. Otherwise I'll have him shoot one of my lever guns (a .30-30 or a .45-70), since our stand will, I hope, offer a pretty close shot. Thanks. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am a leftie and all my bolt rifles are RH, simply because when I was a poor student I could not afford a LH bolt version. What that did was teach me to use it basically as a single shot and make the first shot count. I did buy a Ruger 77 270 in LH but found it hard to use. Also from the bench or prone position a RH bolt rifle is much easier to use for a leftie, think about it.
But a shotgun is different, my Perazzis both have LH stocks, a revelation after years of contorting myself around B25 Brownings and Winchester 101s wirh RH stocks
Mike

Originally Posted By: Two Triggers
Guys: As always, good advice and interesting anecdotes as well. My son already shoots some right-handed guns (pumps, autos, levers), but I just couldn't figure out how it would work with a bolt gun. The Ruger No. 1 is the way I've been leaning, or if I can find a good lefty bolt gun in the right caliber sometime soon, I'll go that route. Otherwise I'll have him shoot one of my lever guns (a .30-30 or a .45-70), since our stand will, I hope, offer a pretty close shot. Thanks. TT

I would put money on the fact that most of the people on this board had/have the burn to shoot from they can't remember when.

The point is, if he too has the burn, he will not care! Don't over think this. In truth my Son shoots his old Model 12 16ga. he got on his 12th birthday vary well.

The real problem for a right hand left eye is shooting a bow.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My LH friends shoot RH guns and feel slower and strange shooting LH guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might find it interesting sometime to watch the end of "Saving Private Ryan". The US sniper, PVT Jackson played by Barry Pepper, in the church steeple in the defense of the bridge at Romelle shoots lefty. Even though he is just an actor, and who knows what his real-life training is, he is quick and smooth while using his right handed '03 to pick off a double hand full of attacking Germans. He didn't have to deal with much recoil if they even used blanks but he does a very credible job making it believable.

I found that a large scope made it difficult to operate the right handed bolt, sometimes stopping the empty cartridge to clear by falling back towards the action. I then tried a left handed action and it was much, much better.
Charl.

Originally Posted By: Bob Blair
You might find it interesting sometime to watch the end of "Saving Private Ryan". The US sniper, PVT Jackson played by Barry Pepper, in the church steeple in the defense of the bridge at Romelle shoots lefty. Even though he is just an actor, and who knows what his real-life training is, he is quick and smooth while using his right handed '03 to pick off a double hand full of attacking Germans. He didn't have to deal with much recoil if they even used blanks but he does a very credible job making it believable.

Was I alone? Did anyone else say to themselves "put one down the bore of the tank, blow the shell in the chamber of that tank!

Your right I think Barry Pepper must be a shooter, all his films he slows a lot of familiarity with firearms.

I think it pass time for Barry to "come out"! Who will "out" Barry?

Sidelock
Sidelock

AL,

I could be wrong but I don't think that would work.......ie, one down the bore of the tank gun. I think the tank rounds were armed either by rotation during the flight of the round or by set back which occurs at the time of firing. Might be an old tanker aboard who could confirm or deny that for us. Sorry to get sidetracked.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the old days it was called "Bore-Safe", centrifugal force moved a steel block to lineup the explosive train. Not sure how they do it today but with a High-Explosive Point-Detonating (PD) fuse you need for it to be safe when the crew slams it into the closed breech block. I remember driving up to a 155 (M-109?) when the doors flew open and everyone was headed for the woods. That's just what they did, blew a little chuck out of the PD fuse and smoked up the inside. I seem to remember that it took about a 100 yards to arm, been a long time ago so that could be wrong.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=m61iAAAAEBAJ&dq=impact+fuse+%22bore+safe%22

Last edited by Michael Petrov; 07/30/07 02:43 PM.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Never give up, I would of given it a shot. If nothing else the part obstruction in that 88mm bore would have jacked up the pressures. And it would of been more fun than just setting there, with your arse hanging in the breeze!

The types of arming projectile's were around even before WWII.

At least that's what they told us in school for EOD, in fact as I recall, all 167 types of fuses were around from before the 2nd. I don't think all the sub categories were however.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.