April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, NTaxiarchis, Jtplumb), 334 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#634520 08/24/23 01:57 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a Colt SXS hammer gun which is missing the main spring. Does anyone on the board know of one that I can purchase or copy from a drawing? Thank you in advance

I probably used the wrong name for the spring. I am looking for information on the spring that holds tension of the lever that opens the action. It fits into the rear of the action and also presses against the face of the stock.

Last edited by Hawaiian Uplands; 08/25/23 12:45 AM. Reason: clarification
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you look at the Numrich gun parts web site? And Jack First? You might place a post on the Colt Collectors web site.

Good luck

Sidelock
Sidelock

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

The one from the other side should be a mirror image of the missing one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't believe it has been 17 years? I hope you are well.
You must be retired by now?
Any way, even though it's only a search for a part, I'm glad you popped back in.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Wow 17 years. How the time passes. I follow the board a lot but never think I can contribute.I am getting on in years and hope one of my daughters takes an interest in double guns. While many of my friends have retired I enjoy going to work most days and since my daughters are young, (15 and 8) I think there is value in them seeing my contribute. Probably an old fashioned idea..

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Hawaiian Uplands
I probably used the wrong name for the spring. I am looking for information on the spring that holds tension of the lever that opens the action. It fits into the rear of the action and also presses against the face of the stock.

The nomenclature for that spring is simply “top lever spring”. Do you have a picture & dimensions of the broken or missing spring? If you have that, a new spring can probably be fabricated. I don’t think that spring would be especially complex. There’s a couple of gunsmiths in the west that could fab a simple top lever spring fairly quickly, you’re looking at probably $300 to $500 for a new top lever spring.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lou Rotelli in Connecticut could make your spring, his number is 203-788-4920

David

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have had some luck making a spring or two in he past and will give this a try. Determining the shape and size will be the challenge. If I have some luck I will post a photo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had to make some top lever springs for Syracuse Lefevers. That seems to be a relatively common malady with them. Gun parts dealers seldom have them because they get bought quickly by guys who need one. My theory is that possibly the company either made or purchased a fairly large quantity of them that were either hardened and drawn incorrectly, or they used a type of steel that wasn't suitable for the job. I've never had a broken Lefever hammer spring, so my theory about the top lever springs seems plausible.

In every one that I've encountered, the broken peices were present inside the gun when I disassembled it.. So it was a pretty simple matter to match the two broken pieces to get the correct dimensions to make a replacement. There is a great deal of information on the internet, and in the atchives here, on how to make a simple vee spring. But as with all gun repairs, people who don't have the proper tools, knowledge, materials, and patience to do a job without causing further damage will be money ahead to pay a professional.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.