April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (griz, rtw, ClapperZapper, welder, bigblock, 1 invisible), 419 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

"It is not foolish at all to think that political activists and anti-hunters have infiltrated the Department of the Interior, USFS and State Fish and Game Departments."
Absolutely no argument from me.

Michael: I also agree. Lead fragments in carrion is the primary problem with condors in AZ; not lead paint and car batteries dumped out in the Arizona desert.
This 2007 study from AZ also documented lead pellets in the stomach of condors
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org...dors-and-lead-exposure-JWM-comentary.pdf

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Lots of lead pellets are scattered around the countryside in SE AZ during Mearns season, but that is outside the condor's range

BTW: Avian flu (H5N1) hit the condors hard in Northern AZ & Southern Utah this spring. Carcasses were sent to the National Fish and Wildlife Forensics Laboratory, but I couldn't find a follow-up regarding lead levels of those killed by HPAI.
This was released today, but no mention of the autopsies or lead levels
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/endangered-california-condors-get-bird-flu-vaccine/

I also agree that the agenda driven have clearly chosen to sacrifice eagles (and likely whales) to windfarms.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Follow the money there is a lot of money in activism and politics.and I still stand by that i read a report that wild fowl easily pass shot picked up while feeding and lead oxidizes and slow leaching into surrounding environments but I don't recall the amount oxidation slows the leaching effect.the fact that the plan is to eliminate hunting and firearms ownership should be troubling as they will use any means.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
…………..
This 2007 study from AZ also documented lead pellets in the stomach of condors
https://www.biologicaldiversity.org...dors-and-lead-exposure-JWM-comentary.pdf ……..

I also agree that the agenda driven have clearly chosen to sacrifice Eagles (and likely whales) to windfarms.

Drat, I missed the study you have cited. I will await further confirmations, but if there is one, it is likely there will be more.

I remain amazed at the level of attrition the greenies accept for their wind turbines. Then again while decrying carbon emissions California has managed despite all their efforts have by reduction of nuclear power actually achieved a net increase in carbon emissions. Funny how zealots can work against their supposed values. More so, if you consider all their interstate power importation. Imagine if their neighbors declined to send it.(an amusing thought not likely to occur)

That said this is a long game and they know it. We (hunters and lovers of vintage guns) must stay vigilant and remain politically active. We must pursue common sense and insist on it in policies we support. We must point out the errors and weaknesses of argument when they occur. I have no doubt that many policies espoused in some quarters are both ill advised and counter-productive. At the same time there is common ground and to breed good solutions that common ground should be emphasized as hating our opponents is useless, though being weary is still essential.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by old colonel
…..That said this is a long game and they know it. We (hunters and lovers of vintage guns) must stay vigilant and remain politically active. We must pursue common sense and insist on it in policies we support. We must point out the errors and weaknesses of argument when they occur. I have no doubt that many policies espoused in some quarters are both ill advised and counter-productive. At the same time there is common ground and to breed good solutions that common ground should be emphasized as hating our opponents is useless, though being weary is still essential.

We, and common ground? Aren’t you commenting, because there is no “we” in this community? I like feel good rhetoric as much as the next person, but I prefer not to get played for a fool. I’d support your efforts, if we can some how not manage to give too much away while we are playing long ball?

2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, keith
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
Originally Posted by old colonel
…..That said this is a long game and they know it. We (hunters and lovers of vintage guns) must stay vigilant and remain politically active. We must pursue common sense and insist on it in policies we support. We must point out the errors and weaknesses of argument when they occur. I have no doubt that many policies espoused in some quarters are both ill advised and counter-productive. At the same time there is common ground and to breed good solutions that common ground should be emphasized as hating our opponents is useless, though being weary is still essential.

We, and common ground? Aren’t you commenting, because there is no “we” in this community? I like feel good rhetoric as much as the next person, but I prefer not to get played for a fool. I’d support your efforts, if we can some how not manage to give too much away while we are playing long ball?

IMHO, the key is to willingly give up nothing. If there is common ground it will be used against us at sone point. There is an end game the other side is after……no hunting and no guns in private hands.

It doesn’t matter that there may be apparent common ground in the short or medium term. To the other side, it’s just the thin edge of the wedge. And they do play the long game. Multi-generational.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
3 members like this: greener4me, Ted Schefelbein, mc
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

P.S.THE GOVERNMENT FUNDS ACADEMIC STUDIES.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting responses which reflect the dichotomy in our political environment as well as the real world experience dealing with the other side’s tactics. I have kicked this post around for a bit.

Although, for a moment I thought I would lead off with a joke like where is Edmund Ruffin when there is need of him, or fire on fort whatever now. But neither sentiment is funny and our nation is seriously divided.

I believe that the current way Washington politics have evolved to my way or the highway is horrific. Both sides neither talk nor socialize and have become extremists, in some cases vile ugly extremists. We are now farther apart than we have ever been since the civil war. That is not a good thing.

I have spent a good part of my life in countries that melted down into vicious conflict. I do not want that in my country. Finding ways to better things matter.

While I agree weariness is critical and do not espouse any wholesale compromise of values. I do believe in courtesy is always a better course. I rarely violate that. I believe if politicians looked for actual common ground some things might be improved.

Voters must elect better politicians, people capable of actually solving something.

I do believe that most of us on this board have much more in common than differences. I do not think civility will kill me, nor is admitting if my facts are wrong, that is once I am actually convinced I am wrong.

No one is going to win or lose critical ground that matters on this board. We discuss and or debate. On major political issues no one is converted.
Elections are where we will win or lose our future , write your congressman, donate to the right causes, be active in you local party. Do not ignore city and county offices, and definitely pay attention to school board elections.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
5 members like this: Stanton Hillis, graybeardtmm3, OldMaineWoodsman, Parabola, mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great post. The division in this country is truly alarming. As a veteran who has been all over Europe, parts of Africa, the Caribbean, and Central and South America I still believe in what President Reagan once said, that you can take all of our problems and multiply them, and we still have it better than anyone else.

The biggest things that bother me are that we have lost our ability to agree to disagree, put party above best interests of the country at all costs, and we have lost our sense of humor.

In many ways, we are quickly becoming what me and my fellow veterans served to protect us from. There are many reasons for this, and there is plenty of blame to go around on both sides.

I for one, would like to see an end to career politicians who have basically wormed their way into what amounts to life-time jobs. Too many now see Congress not as a way to serve our country but as a pathway to becoming a millionaire. That is not what our founders intended.

And I agree that local elections are very important. I would add that people need to actually research and read about their candidates before actually voting for them, that would be a great start.

I still believe that we are the greatest country in the world. And yes, I believe in American exceptionalism. We are already great. We just need to get back to the reasons for this and remember that we are all Americans first, and are in this together as one.

1 member likes this: greener4me
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

When we have an administration actively interfearing in free speech we have a problem when we have an administration going after certain religions like Catholics we have a problem.when we have media and social media only reporting the administration talking points we have a problem.when anti hunting zealots are in charge of BLM and other traditional public hunting we have a problem.and when the administration wants to eliminate competition at the ballot box we are in trouble.

2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, keith
mc #634879 08/30/23 09:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Catholic angle is interesting, as a single point of many. Being Catholics themselves in the highest positions, are they hypocrits, are the Catholics getting big grants, do they sacrifice their own for ideology, do they sleep through anti Christian agenda meetings and let radical advisors make policy. All of the above?

What does that have to do with nontox shot, politicizing wildlife, pricing our kids out of the traditions, attacking lawful firearm ownership and usage, everything.

2 members like this: keith, Ted Schefelbein
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.