May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jusanothajoe), 461 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6675766/

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Another source:
Whole blood levels >0.2 ppm suggest lead toxicity. Whole blood levels >0.4 to 0.6 ppm are considered diagnostic for lead toxicity.
Another sources suggested levels >0.2 ppm with compatible symptoms is diagnostic for lead toxicity.
(20 microgram/deciliter = 0.2 part/million)

I have no idea the point you are trying to make with this (link to the abstract).
https://dr.lib.iastate.edu/entities/publication/88187710-c019-4aa5-9bdb-94fd6351ddbe/full
The purpose of the study was to investigate the use of fecal sampling to avoid having to catch and draw blood from free flying eagles. Are you saying that the study was retracted, or proved to have been falsified?
Have you found any study regarding lead in waterfowl, raptors or condors that was retracted or proven to have been falsified?

Mostly good news for Mike smile
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4139699/

More good news re: risk of lead from consumption of upland game
Dove in South Carolina
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0013935197937890

Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunted waterfowl in the 1960s,.70, 80 right up until hopefully again this winter. In NW MN we transitioned to lead in the late 1970s on WPAs up there. The only ammo was 2 3/4 #4.steel from Federal. We never noticed the difference BUT we shot over.decoys and our go-to shells were our 1oz 7.5 trap loads out of our skeet guns. When you let them get close enough for our light trap loads to kill them an ounce of steel 4s worked just as well.

I think the problem is trying to substitute range for hunting skill. We're seeing it in every facet.of hunting, buy equipment to reach beyond your skill to get.close to game. TSS shot, inline muzzle loader, compound/cross bows, long range rifles and night hunting predators.

I still shoot 7/8 oz of ITX 6s and 1oz of Bismuth 5s for waterfowl out of my hammer shotguns and have no problems killing waterfowl. I don't shoot at birds that are marginal I shoot birds I know I can kill. If you keep your shots inside skeet field distances any shot will kill them. I hunt public lands almost exclusively and love to eat ducks. Most days I don't shoot a limit, I shoot enough for dinner and call it a day. I do take hunting trips rarely leaving the house to hunt but hunt for a few.dayz and camp where I'm hunting. I hunt mornings for waterfowl, then trade my shotgun for a rifle and l call coyotes.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
1 member likes this: Kip
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
....I have no idea the point you are trying to make with this (link to the abstract).
https://dr.lib.iastate.edu/entities/publication/88187710-c019-4aa5-9bdb-94fd6351ddbe/full
The purpose of the study was to investigate the use of fecal sampling to avoid having to catch and draw blood from free flying eagles. Are you saying that the study was retracted, or proved to have been falsified?
Have you found any study regarding lead in waterfowl, raptors or condors that was retracted or proven to have been falsified?....
Hi Doc Drew,

I plucked this out of the middle of your comment for no particular reason, and I realize your point was about retraction of scientific merit. Are these the types of supporting scientific studies use to make political lead firearm projectile ban policy?

Most definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but the source of the lead in these particular eagles is not cited?

Many anti lead advocates here have anecdotes to pass along. How about a snap pole, anyone notice any green butt holed ducks? How about up around the potholes where I suspect lead shot and projectiles are frequestly used around nesting grounds? How about dead eagles, when we are out in our haunts, how many sick and dead ones have we seen? I've stumbled on one dead Bald, over a good few decades and foot miles. How it got that way, I don't know, and I don't know why I couldn't have taken a few flight feathers, as that fellow had no further use for them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

craig are you saying that the hundreds of documented dead eagles, photographed, autopsied, and confirmed to have died of lead poisoning are all a hoax? Just curious what you are claiming is a hoax.

There are tons of data on the effect of lead on waterfowl populations. I'm unaware of any such study that has been retracted but there are many, many such studies. I've posted many of them here in the past, and , of course, you and Stan, etc. simply claim it is all a hoax and conspiracy without a shred of evidence to the back that up. We've been down that road many times.

Personally, I don't worry about lead poisoning in bald eagles now that waterfowl have been been protected. Eagles may die, and die in substantial numbers, but their populations continue to expand. As far as I'm concerned it is a population-level problem, or it's not a problem. For waterfowl it was a problem and that has been evaluated many, many times. So, go do your homework to dispute them all. It might take you a week or two... laugh laugh

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: LGF
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If hundreds of dead eagles have been found and reported, then thousands have died in the wilderness and never been found. Much of my lion conservation work in East Africa in the last 25 years has been on poisoning and we know that only a small fraction are found, reported, and documented. Populations of lions and all other predators and scavengers, especially vultures, have plummeted due to poisoning but relatively few carcasses ever come to the attention of the people who are counting.

LGF #634638 08/26/23 07:32 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LGF
If hundreds of dead eagles have been found and reported, then thousands have died in the wilderness and never been found. Much of my lion conservation work in East Africa in the last 25 years has been on poisoning and we know that only a small fraction are found, reported, and documented. Populations of lions and all other predators and scavengers, especially vultures, have plummeted due to poisoning but relatively few carcasses ever come to the attention of the people who are counting.

I agree, entirely. But eagles continue to grow their populations at amazing rates. As a population-level impact, lead poisoning seems to be relatively unimportant. That's not the case for condors, of course, and maybe other species. But since waterfowl has become non-tox only, it seems that population consequences of lead are not particularly great.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
craig are you saying that the hundreds of documented dead eagles, photographed, autopsied, and confirmed to have died of lead poisoning are all a hoax? Just curious what you are claiming is a hoax.

There are tons of data on the effect of lead on waterfowl populations. I'm unaware of any such study that has been retracted but there are many, many such studies. I've posted many of them here in the past, and , of course, you and Stan, etc. simply claim it is all a hoax and conspiracy without a shred of evidence to the back that up. We've been down that road many times.

Personally, I don't worry about lead poisoning in bald eagles now that waterfowl have been been protected. Eagles may die, and die in substantial numbers, but their populations continue to expand. As far as I'm concerned it is a population-level problem, or it's not a problem. For waterfowl it was a problem and that has been evaluated many, many times. So, go do your homework to dispute them all. It might take you a week or two... laugh laugh

No Brent, I never said it wasn't possible to become sick, or die from lead poisoning, and I never used the word, hoax. Every comment above is your opinion, and not science. I see nothing wrong, and it's my personal instincts, to not be impressed or swayed by you talking down to me from your academic ivory tower.

It is not lost on me that a quick look at the cv of the lead author of the piece I selected, happens to be a colleague of yours in Iowa. If you can speculate about the unimportance of lead poisoning in bald eagles, then I will note the left wing political agendas you've aligned with over the years here, and that you find comfort in working towards common goals with like minded "ecologists", grant sponges?

Simply, you selectively read. I want to know, as you have taken years of failing to explain, why you can shoot tons of lead slugs out of single shot rifles into the wildlife habitat of your choosing, but support politically motivated bans against those who enjoy sporting choices that do not interest you?

You use anedotes, I want to know, where are the incidental, unfortunate green arses of today, in waterfowl habitat where sportsmen can factually say that lead firearms projectiles are currently used. Don't distract, we do not need retractions to create political policy, do we?

2 members like this: keith, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by LGF

I agree, entirely. But eagles continue to grow their populations at amazing rates. As a population-level impact, lead poisoning seems to be relatively unimportant. That's not the case for condors, of course, and maybe other species. But since waterfowl has become non-tox only, it seems that population consequences of lead are not particularly great.

Who says you get to choose, what is relatively unimportant, or are you not giving LGF the latitude of a little sensationalizing. Do you two peas in a pod want to play on heartstrings. I have a great idea, let's construct the biggest human feces and drug paraphernalia cess pool in the streets of kalifornia, but entitle the kali condor to cost is no barrier, elite level ocare.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This has been an interesting debate, but I've got another relaxing and luxurious mission trip to organize to the middle-of-nowhere Guatemala so I'm done.

It is my hope that in future discussions we can avoid dismissing 60 years of research with "the science sucks"; which IMHO just makes us look foolish.

I very much agree however that the political and agenda driven application of the science may certainly suck. There are a lot of things in the world, and our nation, that suck right now, and are more important to me than steel shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
This has been an interesting debate, but I've got another relaxing and luxurious mission trip to organize to the middle-of-nowhere Guatemala so I'm done.

It is my hope that in future discussions we can avoid dismissing 60 years of research with "the science sucks"; which IMHO just makes us look foolish.

I very much agree however that the political and agenda driven application of the science may certainly suck. There are a lot of things in the world, and our nation, that suck right now, and are more important to me than steel shot.

The research that we have seen so far could be valid in a narrow band it is applied to. My comment, which seemed to make you angry, was directed at the notion that because the science was from a study on waterfowl, it should apply to pheasants, dove, grouse woodcock, et Al, which, was already attempted here in Minnesota. One of the researchers who made every meeting pointed out the wounded swans that had been shot by hunters with lead shot, seemingly unable to grasp the concept that if you have swans die of lead poisoning after being shot with lead shot, your problem, per say, is not lead shot.

There is no season on swans in the state of Minnesota, just for reference.

Yea, Drew, that science sucks. And they tried to stick it up our asses at those meetings where the MN DNR attempted a spectacularly unsuccessful end run around the legislature on the use of lead shot.

I’m willing to listen. I haven’t seen a whole lot of that same willingness in the “lead should be dead” group that seem to infest discussions on the subject, however.

Have a safe trip.

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: craigd, keith
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.