May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (DSchrank, Bob Jurewicz, CJ Dawe, Guy Ave, Stanton Hillis, David Williamson), 345 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,465
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
Sidelock
Sidelock

LGF: I'm suspicious of your assertions here ( thousands?) as I was an EPA contractor in the "lead" wars some 20-years ago where the mining companies challenged the so-called studies being presented as fact by the "regulators" then. They effectively held-off some of the more-onerous requirements. Sadly, there's nobody left to fight what is coming now.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/20/23 09:03 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Poisoning thousands of eagles?

https://www.treehugger.com/bald-eagles-no-longer-endangered-5070353

As we all know, lead shot has been banned for waterfowl hunting since the early 1990's. Eagles, Hawks, Owls, and Ospreys are thriving. In fact, eagles are killing each other due to the number of them. Growing up in the 1960's-70's an eagle sighting was a rarity. Now they are a fairly common sighting.

While I feel that the days of lead are numbered, I don't agree with some of the arguments. My feeling has always been that loss of habitat and wetlands, human encroachment, and unchecked predation do far more damage to waterfowl and game populations than lead shot.

Mandated lead shot bans, like we are seeing on some of our Federal Wildlife Refuges/Areas are just political backdoor ways to curtail hunting, price people out of it, or make you find other activities. Hunters have always been the true conservationists. An eventual transition to non-toxic shot/projectiles should be voluntary and gradual, never mandated.

Last edited by OldMaineWoodsman; 08/18/23 07:17 PM.
4 members like this: greener4me, Ted Schefelbein, Imperdix, craigd
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Before Dave locks the door on this thread, anyone care to expound on Simon’s statement (@ 5:20f) that “Muzzle flip with a side by side is down not up.”?

Speude Bradeos
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was scratching my head over that one too. Downward muzzle flip in a SxS. That’s news to me

Kip Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounded like he was saying something about the barrels physically deflecting downwards under firing, but if I remember correctly they oscillate up and down like a wave, not just only down.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
....When visiting a clays ground in a metro area, if you see a younger person, they are of means typically.

So, I’m thinking that the soaring cost of participation has reduced younger participation in the clay sports in this region.

It may not be that way everywhere.

For reference, a non member line of skeet (25 targets) is $5.00, and a box of 20 gauge skeet loads is $10.99 around here.
So, $16.00/line.
That is a 300% increase over 15 years.

Weighing enjoyment/$, there are all kinds of alternatives available.
And, the cost of the cheap stuff is driving new shooters away? Plus, the march towards three plus dollars a shot is inevitable?

I think many of us can remember a red rider being the best thing ever, point being, there is no conceivable connection to good doubles. I think, know, the next classic and antique enthusiasts are shooting their red riders today, and they look like Glocks and tactical ARs. A few kids will grow up and think, why not pay for a quality double, they've already put a small fortune into trendy things that go bang.

A few of the smart kids will think less of ole papa for letting some great, uniquely American traditions become so eroded. Hey gramps, it's okay, you can keep yourbiden baseball cap, but wanna go out for some rare steak with bacon lunch, my treat.

LGF #634324 08/18/23 10:08 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LGF
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
"lead shot" (or even lead bullets) isn't a problem for anybody except a few eagles that were eating wounded geese back east.

So you're okay with poisoning thousands of eagles, vultures, condors because you are inconvenienced by nontoxic shot? But you're even wrong about that - the lead ban was instituted because enormous numbers of waterfowl were dying after picking up lead shot from the bottom of ponds as grit in their gizzards. USFWS spend years doing endless studies on that mortality and the decision to ban lead was taken very reluctantly in the face of overwhelming evidence. Of course, there are those among us who label any data we don't like as 'junk science' if it suggests that we need to change old habits or tolerate an inconvenience merely to prevent needless wildlife death and promote conservation. Yes, steel shot causes more crippling but even that has improved greatly since it was introduced. I would much prefer to use lead rather than expensive bismuth in my old guns but not at the cost of causing great waterfowl mortality from starvation after ingested lead prevents them from digesting food. But that's just me.

How many thousands of eagles are you looking the other way, and pretending they are not dead at the base of wind turbines? No, it's not just you, look at your likes. So, what is the more glorious image, dead Goldens scooped before too many pictures are snapped, or the mighty Bald eagle, engrosed in road kill. No, I guess my examples don't work for you, and I'm not even belittling you?

3 members like this: keith, mc, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Stan: what non-toxic alternative are you referring to?

Bismuth, Lloyd. Plain old bismuth. Been around since the 90s. I, for one, don't think it's going away anytime soon.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
LGF #634326 08/18/23 10:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LGF
"lead shot" (or even lead bullets) isn't a problem for anybody except a few eagles that were eating wounded geese back east.

So you're okay with poisoning thousands of eagles, vultures, condors because you are inconvenienced by nontoxic shot? But you're even wrong about that - the lead ban was instituted because enormous numbers of waterfowl were dying after picking up lead shot from the bottom of ponds as grit in their gizzards. USFWS spend years doing endless studies on that mortality and the decision to ban lead was taken very reluctantly in the face of overwhelming evidence. Of course, there are those among us who label any data we don't like as 'junk science' if it suggests that we need to change old habits or tolerate an inconvenience merely to prevent needless wildlife death and promote conservation. Yes, steel shot causes more crippling but even that has improved greatly since it was introduced. I would much prefer to use lead rather than expensive bismuth in my old guns but not at the cost of causing great waterfowl mortality from starvation after ingested lead prevents them from digesting food. But that's just me.

Did the lead that was deposited in those ponds over the last 125 years or so suddenly vanish when non-toxic shot was mandated? Or, do waterfowl not pick up that lead shot anymore?

Inquiring minds want to know.

The science sucks. Always has.

Best,
Ted

5 members like this: David Williamson, greener4me, keith, Imperdix, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Only 5 months since our last good lead blow up!
Maybe we could read through here and see if there is something new to say...and if not...don't
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=627061

Or not. They all get locked eventually.

Preacher, it is amusing to see you are concerned about repetition concerning the lead ban threats that have the potential to negatively affect both our vintage doubles and future participation in the shooting sports.

The lead ban threads might not get so contentious if it wasn't for easily refuted garbage like LGF posted, that the anti-lead advocates are afraid to answer. For instance, if lead shot was truly killing vast numbers of waterfowl before the ban, then why did the damage stop so abruptly? Large numbers of ducks should still be dying slow deaths since thay are still feeding in the same shot contaminated waters. All of the lead shot deposited in lakes, ponds, estuaries, and swamps over a couple hundred years should still be there. There was no Super Fund cleanup. Many of these migratory birds are wintering in countries where lead shot is still legal too. And they almost totally ignore all of the other environmental sources of lead that is/was in much more bio-available forms, and deposited in far higher quantities.

How about the highly questionable data in all of those non-peer reviewed studies that have been posted here by the anti-lead guys? Most come from rather anti-hunting and very agenda driven sources. We've seen great disparities in what supposedly constitutes lethal blood lead levels in both waterfowl and various raptors. The differences are so stark that you'd have to be blind to accept them as factual and credible. One study these fools cling to cited a sick eagle that had blood lead levels that were said to be so high they were far beyond lethal and literally off the charts. Yet this bird was miraculously strong enough to be found perched in a tree. I'd be embarrassed to believe utter bullshit like that.

In one Thread, our ex-CIA Intelligence Analyst posted a dishonestly edited version of the Audobon Society's position on restrictions on bird hunting. He went on to deny his own quoted post, and got highly pissed when craigd called him out on his edit of the truth. Is it any surprise that civility goes out the window when people pull crap like that? What is even more pathetic is that a few exceptionally thin-skinned guys then whine and cry to Dave Weber in order to get the threads locked or deleted

I’m really sorry to see some say that lead ammunition bans are inevitable. The best way to have that happen is to simply give up the fight, or to vote for the anti-gun Democrats who are behind it.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.