April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mike Harrell), 413 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,229
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Zutz called the Super-Fox a "mill run waterfowling piece" and lost many Fox collectors!!

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm so glad. Had he praised it they might have been higher than they are.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

as to doublegun hunting books...three come to mind...

the upland shooting life, george bird evans...

a hunters road, jim fergus...

a rough shooting dog, charles fergus...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I came late to the game…..mid 2000s. I regret not having a chance to attend Flatwater.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

My first exposure to a side by side shotgun was when I was in 8th grade. Would have been October 1949. School bus dropped me off at home and in a field behind the house were 2 guys hunting. They had dropped a pheasant but couldn't find it.

My dog Spot, an English Springer Spaniel mix, and I offered to help and soon found the bird. One of the guys carrying a side by side asked what I was doing Saturday. Wanna go hunting with us? I did but I didn't own a shotgun.

That man, Bill Brown, took Spot and me hunting several times. He hunted with a side by side shotgun that I thought was cool. I got my first double, a 12 gauge Ithaca Nitro Special for $20.00 2 years later and that started it.

One of my Fox's, an early A 12 gauge, I got in September 1968 and still have it. That will be 55 years next month.

A wonderful ride for sure.

3 members like this: DAM16SXS, FallCreekFan, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

I first purchased a SxS when I was 14, a 16 FW LC, which I still own, back in 1963 (a month the assignation of JFK). There was an old hardware store in town, now long gone, that sold, as many stores did back then, guns and ammo. I picked up a HnR SxS from the same store a few years later. The previous owner had traded it for an auto because it had Damascus barrels. Still have that as well. Both went into the closet, traveled with me as around the country as an adjunct teaching in various universities till the late ‘90s when I secured a tenured position. (Now retired.) Joined the LC collectors, picked up then a GH Parker, joined the Parker Collectors, the Vintagers, and began attending the various SxS events (and lured into English SLEs, Lancaster, Grants, HnH, Purdey). Great fun and continue to meet a great group of fellow SxS enthusiasts. I hope a younger generation will get the “bug” as we all have and continue this tradition, as we are not getting any younger.

A “wonderful ride” indeed.

Cheers to all.

Last edited by susjwp; 08/13/23 08:28 AM.
1 member likes this: DoubleTake
Sidelock
Sidelock

As to books, there was a recent, but now waning series of books from Dallas, Greener and Richards. They were aimed at the choir, but still significant undertakings. Hopefully, there are future enthusiasts.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Donald Dallas books are superb, I just picked up the volume of John Dickson. In the world of British single shots, it is hard to beat the Winfer series, though Kirkton's book are quite useful as well.

From a Red Rider to fine British guns. What a long strange trip it has been. wink

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the search for the origins I’d add three additional people. Cyril Adams, Geoffrey Boothroyd, and Brian Bilinski. Adams brought us a deep knowledge of design and construction, Boothroyd brought us history and explanation, and Bilinski helped change the nature of clay target shooting in the US.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I imported French shotguns and rifles for two decades, 1990s and 2000s. In my business records is a manilla folder for each gun, date ordered, date delivered, who ordered it, receiving FFL, etc. A truly sobering thing to me is how many of the guys who ordered a gun through me are no longer with us.

There are a few who are frail enough to have no need of a hunting implement.

If I had to guess, I’d say right around age 65 is when the majority of them quit buying licenses. My Dad bought licenses for years after he quit hunting, I don’t honestly know if it was high hopes, or, just the feeling he could help support hunting and fishing sports in Minnesota. Knowing Dad, it was likely a bit of both.

We were Loon Club members, when there was a Loon Club:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Wish he would have lived long enough to hunt with his grandson and daughter-in-law:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

My former hunting, shooting and fishing buddies, to a one, have aged out. I’ve met a few new guys, but, they tend to be widely dispersed across the country, and a trip with them requires logistics beyond grabbing the dog and a gun and killing 4-6 hours in the woods.

The former guys don’t care about double guns. Most of them, never did.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Gunflint Charlie
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.