April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (ClapperZapper, SKB, 2 invisible), 1,099 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,235
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't imagine what emoji I would use to accompany a reply to that grossly embellished post.

2 members like this: David Williamson, battle
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A turd ,

1 member likes this: battle
Sidelock
Sidelock

A turd

Given that it's Old Ed's work product, I would suggest a flaming turd.

2 members like this: graybeardtmm3, mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

as if any of you jackels have a clue as to what you are saying...

for about 70 years, ed lander was a successful, self employed, general gunsmith... He did business out of his home based shop, first in mass and later in nh...he is sorely missed by many of us firearms dealers, collectors and hobbyist in this northern new england region...

you should be ashamed of yourselves...

Last edited by ed good; 08/11/23 11:33 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately we only were blessed with torched examples that you insisted you did not do the work .and that old ed was your gunsmith of choice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi

I thought I would join in on this, I've both project guns here and there so that I could learn about working on guns
and teach my kids to work on guns. My dad was a typical depression era kid and would buy so many things just because
they were at good prices. So a long time ago, I was on gunboards and someone offered a partially completed Hawken flintlock kit and I
went for it. The kits now are like over $500 and I sure wouldn't want one at that price.

Last summer, I was talking to my 9 year old son, and told him "I always wanted a boy that I could go shooting and hunting with and work on guns with
and long before you were born I got this flintlock kit, hoping for someone to put it together with, would you like to do that?" Of course, he
said yes. And we finished the inletting, sanded and finished stock using some of J.V. Howe's formulas and browned the barrel and put it all together
and then began to discover problems. The set trigger wouldn't. It took a while to come up with a solution. A screw hole in the lock was partially stripped, I fixed that. When assembled the ramrod can't be removed without breaking off the end. So fine, I made a range rod. and the ramrod is now for show. It can be removed, which is good, since you can't remove the barrel when the ramrod is on, (is anyone having a laugh at my expense by now, I hope so?)

Yesterday, I took him to shoot if for the first time. We were at a public shooting range and it really wasn't the place to mess with things, so I brought
a 22 for my son to shoot in case something went wrong with the flintlock. Sure, enough, we gave up after two flashes in the pan and shot the 22.

Last night, I began to try to figure things out. I unscrewed the plug screw for the touch hole and looked in. It looked like a blind hole, shining a flashlight into the hole and looking through the muzzle, I could see only darkness. So I thought I would try to removed the breech plug, having tried and failed at this before,
I poured penetrating oil down the bore and noticed that some was seeping out the hole for the plug screw for the touch hole. I hooked up my compressor and blew air through the muzzle and got a fine mist coming out the plug screw hole. I was like this can't be right. No way is a sufficient amount of powder going
to end up near the touch hole. So, I let my mind stew on things over night and came back to it in the morning. With a set of optivisors, I began to look at the plug hole and what was inside, it was kind of hard to see, but it looked like something was there that wasn't supposed to be, so I got a screwdriver and stuck it in and pried and felt something move toward the muzzle. Pried a bit more, and it moved more, tapped the muzzle on the floor, and about a 3/8 of an inch of a 1/4 inch drill bit fell out. I figure that what happened is that they seated the breech plug too deeply, when they drilled the hole for the touch hole, they
got a blind hole and jammed the breech plug. So they tried to drill from the muzzle and broke off the drill bit in the breech plug and couldn't get it out. And sold it. Hopefully, next weekend, we will try shooting it again.

Through this experience, I hope that I've taught my son a good lesson, when you buy someone else's former project, there is a good chance that they
screwed something up and couldn't figure out how to unscrew it. That being said, I am sure that the same things holds true for project cars. I'd rather have
project guns.

1 member likes this: Jimmy W
Sidelock
Sidelock

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Still got the gun? Still use it, to good effect?

A few times in my life I had this surge of nostalgia and thought I should find an English double with sound damascus tubes, to shoot boutique ammunition at game birds. I start shopping on the interweb thingy that Al Gore Jr. graciously built for us all, thinking of how wonderful this new, old gun is going to be.

Looking at the crap that is out there, usually at name dealers, where it has been sitting, going on a decade, always seems to cure me of that notion.

This fall, I will drop two rounds of 20 gauge ammunition into a little Darne V19, without regard to who made the stuff. It might be promo loads, it might be older Winchester AAs in 7 1/2, a load that always worked well for me grouse hunting, or it might be a stiff 1 ounce load left to me by an ancestor or friend who no longer needed them (I’d never buy 1 ounce 20 gauge loads with my money, but, damn if I will let them go to waste when we still have very wild pheasants about). Built post 1964, the Darne was proofed at the same level as a 3” magnum, even though is has 2 3/4” chambers.

I’ll have to console myself with that. The damascus thing is behind me.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Still use it every year, I shoot it well.

Reading back over it I would never have the patience to do that now, it would drive me nuts, the hoops I jumped through.

But the experience and knowledge I got by going through it, money well spent.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The action looks like a 1884 Westley Richards pat.i have one made on that pat.
very nice gun

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.