May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Marks_21, montenegrin, Borderbill), 482 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,542
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#633785 08/05/23 01:07 PM
susjwp Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone read, Rural, The Lives of the working class Countryside, a memoir by Rebecca Scott. Scott grew up in a family that served several estates, her father was a forester, game keep etc. Very interesting life and a counter point to the current assault on “county life” by the urban “antis.” The author returned later as an adult with her family to several of estates she roamed as a child. I kept thinking of the semi-documentary, The Shooting Party when she describes her charge as a beater among other day to day occupations. Well written.

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll look that one up. The term Beater had me interested as many think the Guns (shooters) are from the aristocracy and the Beaters the Yokels. One shoot I used to go to working the dogs had among the Beating Team; A retired Detective Inspector, a Veterinary Surgeon, a Master of Engineering from Rolls Royce and a Professor of Mathematics. Lagopus.....

4 members like this: ClapperZapper, John Roberts, Parabola, HistoricBore
Sidelock
Sidelock

The beaters that I have had a chat with included an accountant who went to Eton College (that's the poshest school in GB), the retired bodyguard of a Prime Minister, a doctor, a gunsmith, two colonels plus a few tractor drivers. All interesting to talk to.

HB

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have always enjoyed the company of the keepers and beaters.
They work proudly and extraordinarily hard year round to make the grounds they keep as productive and sustainable as possible.

Out there doing it best I can.
4 members like this: John Roberts, Lloyd3, Jimmy W, Parabola
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sounds like the local yokels are the ones shooting

eeb #633816 08/05/23 08:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not without permission.

Remember, shooting in the UK is not like hunting in the United States.

The land owner owns all of the game on their land, and decides who gets to shoot it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A person still needs the permission of the Landowner or person holding the sporting rights but some foreshore shooting for wildfowl is still free. Most Farmer/Landowners are only too happy for someone to shoot the wood pigeons and rabbits for them. There is still rough shooting to be had for nothing from some obliging Farmer and with deer being in record proportions free deer stalking can be obtained; especially on Muntjac and with no bag limits and no seasons for pigeon, rabbits and Muntjac there is plenty of sport to be had. All other deer species that have seasons usually the doe season starts as the buck season finishes and vice versa. Geese are often looked upon as agricultural pests and I shall be on some free goose shooting from September 1st. We humble Yokels don't do too bad. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes!
The goose flights around the Montrose basin are epic.
Heading up to Invermark in just a couple weeks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the U.S. we used to have beaters, too. That was before Roundup killed all of the weeds and grasshoppers and other bugs in the Iowa cornfields. That led to the demise of the Iowa pheasant populations. Before Roundup, the corn fields used to have weeds in the rows of corn, good cover, and then bugs for good food. Often we would ask the young sons to walk along. The corn was at least 6 feet high and they could not see, and of course didn’t have guns. I often went along with beaters because at 6’5” I could see above the corn and often got easy shots. The “blockers would get lots of shooting, similar to the “guns” in Britain. Good times with lots of wild game. That is no more.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Roundup (glyphosate) is a herbicide, not an insecticide. And, it only kills certain grasses and weeds, not all of them. Certainly not grasshoppers or people , ads by by unethical tv lawyers notwithstanding.

. When the weeds and grasses ceased to infest the corn, the grasshoppers simply went elsewhere. It's a tough thing to feed the world and have perfect gamebird habitat, at the same time.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Mark II
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.