April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Stanton Hillis, Jim H., obsessed-with-doubles, Kolar Dickson, Sandlapper, HMAK), 401 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

At least L.C. Smith, Maker, Syracuse added them, so pre-1890.
David Williamson's pic

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

A immediately post-1890 likely No. 1 with Lloyd's Laminated Steel wink

Sidelock
Sidelock

The lug is sometimes less than well fitted to the bbl contour. The sweat solder attachment process lacks strength and soft solder is a very poor filler material.
The J-Spring type forend attachments put a lot of forward tension on the lug when snapped into place. They keep the bbl pushed forward nicely, but at the expense of pushing hard against that lug to do that.

The latch type can pull the lug out if the fit is not correct. Too awful tight where the latch doesn't close and needs a slap to close is just pulling on the lug to close the forend tight to the bbl pulls on the forend lug..

..and sometimes the old solder joint just gives way. 100yr old soft solder joints that are under some tension can do that.

The reinforced lugs with their extended & sometimes wider short ribs to the rear help with greater contact for soldering.
But fit is still the primary need as a sweat solder joint is useless w/o it. A thick layer of soft solder betw the two surfaces has little strength.

Here's some pics of a couple lug failures. You can see the poor solder contact betw bbl and lug on the one.
The lug(s) get loose and move forward pushing on the bottom rib loosening it and crumpling it
at the same time.
So straightening the rib and re-solder of it is usually needed.

Careful cleaning of the surfaces is needed. I used a simple scraper most of the time. The old solder and flux shaves off easily as does the soft steel the parts are made of.
The bbl surfaces clean up easily with scrapers as well. Much easier to manipulate than files IMO.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

5 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Parabola, Hammergun, Drew Hause, bushveld
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by arrieta2
Kirk Merrington

Kerrville. Tx

FYI-- Kirk Merrington closed up shop and retired last year. He was probably the best shotgun barrel man in the country. I wish him the best with his health & retirement.

3 members like this: Parabola, graybeardtmm3, NCTarheel
Sidelock
Sidelock

Radiograph of a Smith barrel with a bulged chamber after "inexpert" chamber lengthening. Loop support has both a screw and silver solder

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown
Originally Posted by sxsman1
What is reefing on the foremd?

I expect that's a reference to putting more pressure on the forend. More likely to happen with a gun that has a beavertail because there's more grab. That being said, I recently had it happen to a Japanese-made SKB with a splinter forend. Typically with a splinter, one scarcely grips the forend, if at all. Some Brits might say that the purpose of the forend is mainly to keep the barrels attached to the receiver.

PULL!
Hal M. Hare
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Larry-who helped with your SKB? I have a 200HR that is out of warranty. Thanks

PULL!
Hal M. Hare
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Kutter
The lug is sometimes less than well fitted to the bbl contour. The sweat solder attachment process lacks strength and soft solder is a very poor filler material.
The J-Spring type forend attachments put a lot of forward tension on the lug when snapped into place. They keep the bbl pushed forward nicely, but at the expense of pushing hard against that lug to do that.

The latch type can pull the lug out if the fit is not correct. Too awful tight where the latch doesn't close and needs a slap to close is just pulling on the lug to close the forend tight to the bbl pulls on the forend lug..

..and sometimes the old solder joint just gives way. 100yr old soft solder joints that are under some tension can do that.

The reinforced lugs with their extended & sometimes wider short ribs to the rear help with greater contact for soldering.
But fit is still the primary need as a sweat solder joint is useless w/o it. A thick layer of soft solder betw the two surfaces has little strength.

Here's some pics of a couple lug failures. You can see the poor solder contact betw bbl and lug on the one.
The lug(s) get loose and move forward pushing on the bottom rib loosening it and crumpling it
at the same time.
So straightening the rib and re-solder of it is usually needed.

Careful cleaning of the surfaces is needed. I used a simple scraper most of the time. The old solder and flux shaves off easily as does the soft steel the parts are made of.
The bbl surfaces clean up easily with scrapers as well. Much easier to manipulate than files IMO.

So, how do you solder that back on, Kutter? With a torch? Or a large soldering iron?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a Propane Torch hand held like a plumber would use.

When things are fitted, tinned and then clamped into place, I place extra clamps on the ribs out from the area that needs reattaching.
That way if the heat starts to melt and flow that solder, it's still in it's orig position and held there. It just cools back down with everything else and all is well.

The amt of heat needed to sweat solder these repairs is not tremendous. Sometimes I do not place extra clamps around and just clamp the lug if it's a small one.

Proper heating for soldering is to heat the metal around the joint, not the joint itself. That avoids burning the flux and overheating things which just causes a poor joint.
Many people get in a hurry and over heat things thinking they have to be especially quick about it or the entire bbl & rib assembly will come apart and fall to pieces on them.
Not true.

If I'm resetting ribs on a bbl that are entirely detached, I will clean the ribs with a scraper of the old solder and flux. Then use a heavy duty elec soldering gun ( I think it's a 200W (?) pistol grip soldering gun) to tin the surfaces.
That goes extremely fast, clean and easy.
I also use the same steel scrapers (like stock inletting scrapers) to clean the bbl surfaces also.
Just home made out of drill rod. Flattened, bent to L shape when heated red. File to shape, Harden and temper and put a file type handle on it
A Flat and a V shape pretty much cover the needs.

With the scraper you can pull it and shave the old solder right off of the surface and a micro shaving of steel at the same time leaving the surface a perfect condition for flux and tinning.
The removed rib usually shows a line where it was soldered to the bbl. With a scraper you can shave the bbl clean right to that old line.
Scrub outside that line with a common soft lead pencil and that steel will not tin.
Then go ahead and tin the scraped clean area. I also do that with the HD soldering gun . It sometimes doesn't quite have the power to tin the bbl's when they get thicker up by the FE lug.
Then I use an old time soldering copper with a sharp point on it heated and tinned with the propane torch to finish up that last little bit and do the Short Rib attachment area.
Regular paste NoCorrode flux from the DIY store and 50/50 Lead-Tin solder.

4 members like this: FallCreekFan, Stanton Hillis, Parabola, Jolly Bill
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was wondering how you did that. I used to work in a shop that rebuilt starters and alternators for trucks and cars. I used a large soldering iron about 14"- 16" long to resolder armatures for the big truck starters. It took forever to do one of those. I was always pretty good at soldering with a smaller Weller soldering gun. But putting a torch in my hands around a shotgun is asking for trouble. I know better than to try that. That is really an art that you can do that. Good for you that you are that skilled. So, I was just wondering. Thanks.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.