Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Went to a great gun show yesterday. And ran across a nice /like brand new Beretta 470 Silverhawk for $2250.00. I am always in the market for a SXS and was really looking it over. When I shouldered it, the rib was depressed so badly that I could hardly see down the rib. Meaning: it was sunken down below the level of the barrels. And it had no center bead. It made it appear that I would be looking down the barrels and not being about to line up a target, because I couldn't see the rib. Were they all made like that? Or did the gun just not fit me at all? I really wanted that gun. I have never had a problem with not being able to look down a rib, so...........I passed. frown

Last edited by Jimmy W; 07/23/23 04:43 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You lost a great chance. The 470 action is one of the best non sidelock actions ever built. The swamped rib is a non issue. The Boss OU has no rib or mid sight either, but that is no reason to reject it!

Jimmy W Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I knew it was a good gun. But, I figured I would pass this time and use the money to buy a Model 21 later on. I'm planning to build up my Winchester collection again and I didn't want a gun that I couldn't shoot. The Beretta was just a second choice. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is not a new idea. This Watson lightweight “Phantom” 12 bore from about 1890 shows a sunken rib and I believe that that idea was old even then.

I understand that in addition to some saving of weight the idea was to concentrate the eye on the muzzles and the bird.

Last edited by Parabola; 07/23/23 09:24 AM.
2 members like this: liverwort, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Plus, those sunken ribs are ugly. Beretta made thousands of sxs's with level ribs. Why they went to a sunken, near-swamped rib is difficult to understand.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...double-shotgun.cfm?gun_id=102320735#lg-4

JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 07/23/23 10:45 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
1 member likes this: Wonko the Sane
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO anything that draws the attention to the muzzle(s), and away from the bird, is detrimental. Looking at the bead/muzzle during the swing process is a guaranteed miss ...... behind.

I would not buy a gun with a sunken rib, or worse, no rib at all.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
3 members like this: Wonko the Sane, Jusanothajoe, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

The original Boss OU had short sections of rib at the breech and muzzle. When mounted the picture is the same as that of a full rib. An English importer has some special order Perazzis with the same setup.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I once had a Valmet waterfowler which is an O/U 12 ga. with 36" barrels. The handling of it was unreal, in that it belied the very long barrels and swung like a nice 30" barreled gun. It had the short "rib pieces", ramps actually, at the breech and muzzle. Obviously this was done to help reduce weight in the forward portion of the gun, and it worked. The barrels were also struck very thin. I tried it on sporting clays with mediocre results. I couldn't help feeling that there was a difference in what my lead looked like, as compared to shooting my 31 1/2" MX8.

Results ....... the short rib sections at front and rear worked to "fool the eyes" into not seeing the sunken space between them while shooting. However, when the gun was lowered and you viewed it from above, or from the side, it was obvious that it was lacking something. I don't care for the appearance at all. Point is, there's no reason to eliminate the top or side ribs to improve handling. Handling can be perfect with all the ribs in place. Many Italian makers have proved it.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

but then, a sunken rib serves two purposes...

a. helps to make one natually keep ones head down on the comb of the stock...

b. causes one to focus on the target, no the rib, not the bead...just the target...

ah like hit...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Seeing the rust accumulating in the dead space between ribs is a good cure for ribophilia.

Modern guns, including traditional "best"types are built using ultra modern machinery. Yet makers still resort to Medieval tinsmithing to stick on ribs so as to create inaccessible rust traps and add weight forward.

One of the Brown brothers, a gunmaker of undeniable skill and experience, commented favorably on the Alex Martin ribless side by side stressing the improved handling that comes from not having 150 grams of rib burdening the pointing hand. That 150 grams is there with two ribs of a SXS, in an OU we must add the weight of the top rib to get to about 200 or so grams.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.