April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 394 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Owenjj3 #632918 07/15/23 09:11 AM
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Eights can be imported easily, four bores can only be imported if they are antique. The ATF does not recognize any sporting purpose for the four bore, they have no authority over the importation of antiques.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Owenjj3 #633098 07/18/23 11:45 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think fours ought to be imported as religious artifacts. I for one, would say a few prayers before pulling the trigger, and perhaps a Hail Mary or mutter a Sweet Jesus afterwards. Perhaps you could get around the bore size if it identifies as a slug gun instead of a shot gun. One of the famous ivory hunters used a four and his main complaint was it gave him nose bleed every time he shot it. Recoil for that cannon was brutal. But that was a single shot not a double.

KY Jon #633102 07/19/23 05:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
I think fours ought to be imported as religious artifacts. I for one, would say a few prayers before pulling the trigger, and perhaps a Hail Mary or mutter a Sweet Jesus afterwards. Perhaps you could get around the bore size if it identifies as a slug gun instead of a shot gun. One of the famous ivory hunters used a four and his main complaint was it gave him nose bleed every time he shot it. Recoil for that cannon was brutal. But that was a single shot not a double.

I believe that KY Jon may be thinking of Sir Samuel Baker. However, his 4 Bore rifle was a double. He also on occasion used a 2 bore single shot that he called "Baby". Here is what he had to say about his "Baby":

"Among other weapons, I had an extraordinary rifle that carried a half-pound percussion shell—this instrument of torture to the hunter was not sufficiently heavy for the weight of the projectile; it only weighed twenty pounds: thus, with a charge of ten drachms [270 grains] of powder, behind a half-pound shell, the recoil was so terrific, that I spun around like a weathercock in a hurricane. I really dreaded my own rifle, although I had been accustomed to heavy charges of powder, and severe recoil for some years. None of my men could fire it, and it was looked upon with a species of awe, and it was named "Jenna-El-Mootfah" (Child of a Cannon) by the Arabs, which being far too long a name for practice, I christened it the "Baby;" and the scream of this "Baby" loaded with a half-pound shell was always fatal. It was far too severe, and I very seldom fired it, but it is a curious fact, that I never fired a shot with that rifle without bagging: the entire practice, during several years, was confined to about twenty shots. I was afraid to use it; but now and then it was absolutely necessary that it should be cleaned, after months of staying loaded. On such occasions my men had the gratification of firing it, and the explosion was always accompanied by two men falling on their backs (one having propped up the shooter), and the "Baby" flying some yards behind them. This rifle was made by Holland & Holland, of Bond Street, and I could highly recommend it for the Goliath of Gath, but not for the men of A.D. 1866."
— Sir Samuel White Baker-- The Albert N’Yanza, Great Basin Of The Nile, 1866 pp.138

It's a safe bet that Sir Samuel Baker would not suffer from computer mouse dystopia (flinching while clicking a mouse).

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Owenjj3 #633121 07/19/23 12:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see that the 4 bore is available in Holt's after action sale.
Will be interesting to see if it sells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Calgary Bill
I see that the 4 bore is available in Holt's after action sale.
Will be interesting to see if it sells.
Someone bid £12000...

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
Owenjj3 #633260 07/23/23 01:19 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

On average, what does it cost to have a gun shipped from the auction to The US? Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.