April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jimmy W, DaveB), 1,138 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I speak only from personal experience, albeit bringing a dog (not pup) from west to east (WYO -UK).

I spent many hours researching the how to do for accompanying a dog on the same flight. The whole rigmarole made it virtually impossible - remember the rules are to a large part designed by animal shipping agencies. Was I glad that I opted to use shippers - definite Yes --- although it would have been a substantial money saver to fly out and accompany dog on same flight.(Much easier from East coast airports to main EU airports such as Schippol, Holland on DIRECT flight.)

Although you might book this arrangement - it may not happen that way !... eg you book your ticket with Airline A but they share some flights on that route with Airline B and you may end up on different flight to your cargo/dog. Double check to exclude that possibility might arise.

The primary obstacles to me were the import rules post Brexit. Would have been far simpler for a USA to EU shipping. From memory I think that American Airlines had the more straightforward procedures and access to information for private individual shipping requests.

I have flown long haul (UK - AUS) as handler in attendance with dogs as cargo and the flight itself is not an issue for the dog. I would not anticipate problems of stress on pup for your relatively short haul trip - assuming no unexpected/undue delays. You have to RELY (?) on baggage handlers to be sympathetic and professional in the load and unload procedures and to ensure a speedy process.

My 2c ?
1.The older the pup the better for travelling.
2.I would be apprehensive of long distance shipping for a nervous type of pup.
3. Arrange travel outwith the season of high ambient temperatures in case dog has to spend a length of time on the tarmac during loading. This is important.
4. O-W-D makes the very pertinent point about buying "blind" - may work out well for you but it might also turn out as "pig-in-a-poke". In the latter case - just think of the next 12 years.!!

Good Luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

But Dave, those are older, adult dogs that have been through several years of living. They've seen stuff, they've heard stuff, they've grown up.

Puppies are totally different. It's going to be a scary experience. 10 hours in a crate is a LONG time. And that's if everything goes as planned.

Also, if a breeder's dogs are any good, they should have a wait list of people in the general area who want to buy their pups and no reason to sell overseas.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD, I agree these are older dogs (maybe). The OP never gave the age of the pup. I was just relating my experience (though limited) that air shipping is not the kiss of death for a dog.

Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

These dogs are used primarily for waterfowl. they do quite a bit of duck hunting. lots of lakes and rivers. not pen raised birds.
as far as questioning the logic of bringing a dog from Switzerland or Europe. I could apply the same logic to almost everyone here's infatuations and near religious commitment with English shotguns or other high end European brands.
Example: why go through all that trouble of auction houses, importation permits, taxes, fees etc brining a used English double to the US when you can get a New Fox from CSM custom built to your specifications. And no hassles with Customs etc.
Now lets here the reasons to justify that!!!
we want what we want.

Last edited by Brian; 07/04/23 10:18 AM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Brian
These dogs are used primarily for waterfowl. they do quite a bit of duck hunting. lots of lakes and rivers. not pen raised birds.
as far as questioning the logic of bringing a dog from Switzerland or Europe. I could apply the same logic to almost everyone here's infatuations and near religious commitment with English shotguns or other high end European brands.
Example: why go through all that trouble of auction houses, importation permits, taxes, fees etc brining a used English double to the US when you can get a New Fox from CSM custom built to your specifications. And no hassles with Customs etc.
we want what we want.

Gee, that is an easy one. Far more quality for your dollar if you are an educated shopper buying used English VS a new CSM Fox.

I do not disagree with finding the best bird dog you can anywhere on the planet, that is logic which I can relate to wink

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
2 members like this: Brittany Man, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Brian
we want what we want.

Well, because you don’t have to deal with CSMC with an old British gun, and it will likely work as intended.

That said, I get the dog thing. But, the bummer I have discovered is dogs are a crapshoot. There are issues with temperament, health, biddability, that are not and can never be controlled by the breeder or owner. My dog was sick for a year, the most important first year, with an autoimmune disorder that impacted her bird dog training and skill set. A friend lost a hell of German Shorthair to some form of brain fungus at 4 years of age. A big dollar British lab puppy turned out to have no field skills and is a sudden rage dog, to boot. The breeder offered to euthanize the pooch, but, wouldn’t refund the cost at the 5 year mark. The problems took that long to materialize.

Stuff happens.

You are likely amplifying those and other issues by attempting to import a pup. The biggest problems likely won’t be issues with the breeder, or, dog, but with the incompetence of people along the way that have to take charge of your pup.

Good luck. I wouldn’t do it.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes a dog is just a dog.
Do what you feel comfortable with.

I like the temperament and smaller scale of British labs. Out in the countryside they are pretty inexpensive.
It’s no more, nor less of a crap shoot picking one up over there.
Just thousands less expensive.

Out there doing it best I can.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

So a pet rock it is

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I could apply the same logic to almost everyone here's infatuations and near religious commitment with English shotguns or other high end European brands."

No, you can't. A puppy is a living creature that feels pain and fear. They experience loneliness and anxiety. Negative experiences can impact their lives in all sorts of ways.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

People bring animals in, or ship them out everyday.
It’s a 5 hr flight.

There isn’t some grand pool of continental breeds that were scarred for life from their ride over.

I’ll probably bring a pup back when I return in September.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.