May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (HMAK, David Williamson, 1 invisible), 288 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,514
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
vam5067 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Anyone experience a difference in tone or duration of ringing when barrels are tested for rib integrity, damascus versus modern steel? Just bought my backup, grouse gun with damascus barrels and seller says ribs are intact but barrels don't ring as long as fluid steel because of the composition of multiple, bands of metal.

Regardless, I'll be ringing them personally when gun is in hand and returning if it truly doesn't carry a tune.

Sidelock
Sidelock

strange but interesting question. I compared 2 guns of the same maker, both made in 1905. The fluid steel barrels carried the tune longer but not something you would notice if not looking for it.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
1 member likes this: vam5067
Sidelock
Sidelock

vam5067
Instead of "ringing" the barrels to detect loose coming ribs, I suggest you "tap" along the ribs themselves and listen for a "hollow" sound rather than a "solid" sound. In addition to detecting loose coming rib, locations of loose areas are more closely located. I find the bolster of my pocketknife is both a handy and adequate tool with which to "tap" the ribs.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom de Grey, the 6th Lord Walsingham
On August 30 (1888), when I killed 1,070 grouse to my own gun in the day, I shot with four breechloaders. No.1, a gun made in 1866 by Purdey, subsequently converted from pin-fire to central principle, to which new barrels were made last year. Nos. 2 and 3, a pair of central fire breechloaders, made also by Purdey, about 1870, for which I have likewise had new barrels. No. 4, a new gun made by Purdey this year to match the two mentioned above, but with Whitworth steel instead of Damascus barrels. The guns are all 12 bore, with cylinder 30 in. barrels, not choked. My cartridges were loaded by Johnson, of Swaffham; those used in the down-wind drives containing 3 1/8 Drams Hall’s Field B powder to 1 1/8ozs. No. 5 Derby shot; those used in the up-wind drives (where the birds, of course, came slower) had 3 Drams only of the same powder, with the same shot.
I learned that Whitworth steel barrels are not desirable for a heavy day’s shooting. The explosion in them makes quite a different sound from that given off by Damascus barrels: there is more ring about it, and I can imagine that this might prove a serious annoyance to anyone who minds the noise of shooting.

I think the seller may be correct, but no clue why, other than differences in the acoustic vibration.
Pattern welded barrels (a laminate of very low carbon steel and wrought iron) had a significantly lower % elongation than did fluid steel in my study
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cvqRzkg0wEjhAAcFWr8gFi7aPFRsSIJ_hahfDxmrNAU/edit
The ring tone is generated by vibration, and it seems reasonable that the vibration would be different, but the vibration characteristics of metals, steels and steel alloys is WAY beyond me.
I did find that cast iron has superior vibration dampening characteristics over steel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dr. Drew, thank you for that. I'd heard about the quotation being referenced before but had never seen the actual text. I will likely take possession of a fairly old (1860s) Damascus gun here in the next few days and I will ring those tubes alongside my circa 1905 fluid steel brummy boxlock. It will be interesting to see if I can discern a difference.

vam5067 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Best ringing barrels I have are 30" damascus from a 12ga Elsie... time for church...

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

They'll probably all ring differently as they are slightly different thickness,, and vary those thicknesses due to taper along their length. They are of various lengths. The ribs are of various
weights, shapes, solid, hollow. You have spacers of different shapes and number soldered inbetw the tubes at various positions chosen by the bbl maker-upper guy.

There are so may differences involved beyond the material they are constructed of, Maybe that one variable could be responsible for a distinct difference in ring tone IF all of the other variables were exactly the same.
..and then it would prove little, other than the material used to actually make the tubes is different.

As to the idea of 'ringing the bbls' to find defects in the ribs, I've always thought of the whole process to be sort of a Carnival Midway Attraction done at shows for the benefit of buyers.
See,,they ring like Church Bells!
Well, that's nice, but it doesn't really tell you a lot about wether the ribs are loose or not to be honest.

They can ring nicely and still have loose spots along the ribs.

A really long break in the rib solder will usually showup with the 'test'. But it's the sort of break that you can easily spot with an eyeball examination which you should be doing anyway.
Tapping down on the rib is much better indicator as already mentioned.
I simply use the tip of my finger and if you come to a loose portion it will 'click' instead of being a solid sound. The click is the loose rib snapping down upon the bbl itself.

Do a very close eyeball examination up and down both sides of both the top and bottom ribs and the short rib on the bottom.. and don't forget to test the forend hanger for looseness.
Some magnification is good to use.
Go slow and push down on the rib with your fingers as you examine and watch the side of rib where it contacts the bbl. If loose you will be able to see even a short break move up and down. Often there will be old oil held in that void and the pushing down on the rib will squeeze the oil outward just a bit , you'll be able to see that especially with close examination and magnification.

Chiming the barrels won't tell you any of that, but in all likeliness they'll still sound nice even if they do have some loose areas in the ribs.

1 member likes this: David Williamson
Sidelock
Sidelock

this barrel ringing thing is a questionable practice created by some guy who wrote it in a book years ago...

a truer indicator of barrel to top rib solder intregrity is to inspect top rib with jewelers loop under led light, looking for solder voids...

ring ah ding ding...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

an vam, returning a gun with damascus barrels, because the barrels do not ring to your satisfaction is ludicrous...

Last edited by ed good; 06/21/23 04:21 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.