I picked up a factory engraved Ballard #6 Scheutzen model at the Greeley CGCA show last month. The seller had two, but this particular one got my attention when I noticed the barrel was browned. Browning barrels was a George C. Schoyen of Denver, Colo. trademark, and sure enough this Ballard has a Schoyen .32-40 barrel. Since I collect Scheutzen rifles, and especially Schoyen rifles, I made a deal and brought it home with me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The barrel and forearm were setup for a palmrest, but it got away from the rifle at some point. I had a number of palmrest parts, so I dug through my parts and found enough pieces to make one work. An old wooden knob that was quite large got whittled down to fit my hand. Then some blued knurled knobs got D&T for 3/8-NF to fit the blued 3/8 shaft that screws into the dovetailed block in the barrel.
I sanded the palmrest down, stained it, and applied numerous coats of finish. Then once cured I wet sanded the palmrest knob to knock down the finish, and waxed and buffed it to match the rest of the gun.