April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Leonard10, fab500, Stanton Hillis), 413 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#631331 06/11/23 11:27 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Terry Wieland excelled in Gray`s Sporting Journal, declaring the Boss O/U with Robertson`s ejectors as "self-opening". A lot of colleagues rightly wrote on Facebook he was wrong. But no one reacted to Wieland's statement there aren`t another self opening O/U. Actually there are only two that shotguns. These are their locks. Maybe someone knows?
To refresh the memory https://wp.me/p461yQ-jF

[Linked Image from shotguncollector.files.wordpress.com]
[Linked Image from shotguncollector.files.wordpress.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might be able to add this over/under to the self [assisted] opening list. It is an odd side opening, over/under with ejectors. There are no proofmarks on it, so I am not sure of it's country of origin.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 06/11/23 12:05 PM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

A well used later series Browning O/U will qualify as "self opening", too.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dickson made a few 'side opening' O/U guns. I believe that D Mackey Brown's O/U is an easy opener (assisted opening) gun. A true Self Opener springs open whether the locks are cocked or not. Purdey and Henry Atkin come to mind.

Also, Lancaster offered a Spring Open boxlock not patterned on the ANSON & DEELY action. Pretty cool, but I have never seen a 'best' version of the gun... always 'colonial' models.

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Chukarman
Dickson made a few 'side opening' O/U guns. I believe that D Mackey Brown's O/U is an easy opener (assisted opening) gun. A true Self Opener springs open whether the locks are cocked or not. Purdey and Henry Atkin come to mind.

Also, Lancaster offered a Spring Open boxlock not patterned on the ANSON & DEELY action. Pretty cool, but I have never seen a 'best' version of the gun... always 'colonial' models.

The Beesley designed self opener action used by Lancaster is a true self opener and the action could be had in both sidelock and body action models. I own 2. Both top quality, the sidelock being “Best grade”. Lancaster called this the Model A.
The body action gun I own is not colonial grade, it’s the nicest grade that Lancaster made in that action. It only cost a few pounds less than the sidelock model in 1896.

Body action circa 1896
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Sidelock circa 1894
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

8 members like this: Birdog, Marc Ret, Parabola, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, Bluestem
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

In Daryl's pics above, you can clearly see two very small concave areas in the outer edge of the breech face, where the barrels mate to it. Not being able to see a view of the breech face proper, are those the exits for escaping gases, as in a primer piercing where gasses exit the primer and have to be vented away to keep them from going into the firing pin holes and destroying the stock at the wrist? Usually when a maker provided for this they cut tiny channels in the breech face to the outside for the gasses to exit, but I don't recall seeing the exits ever having a "treatment" of this sort.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

From their shape and position they look like they may have been intended to avoid catching on an insufficiently seated primer?

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, and Parabola, here's a view of the standing breech. It appears Parabola is correct.

'

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

The distance between the cuts look quite a bit less than the distance between the firing pins. Those two distances should be the same if they are to affect primers, no?

Crazy cool gun though.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

2 members like this: graybeardtmm3, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent, I see what you are saying. Maybe just part of the "design and decoration".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.