April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (L. Brown), 1,092 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen, I just acquired a R. G. Owen 7x57 rifle built on a commercial FN action from 1950. S/N is 5000 under the barrel. I assume it was built while he was living in Port Clinton, Ohio. It has the 100 & 200 yard flip up leaf sights on an engraved base and the std. Owen style hooded front sight. Receiver, floorplate, and back quarter of barrel are heavily engraved with deep relief scroll. Beautiful fleur-di-lis and ribanded checkering on pistol grip and forend. Can anyone tell me who was engraving his rifles in that time frame and anything else from his Port Clinton days? Thanks, Sandlapper

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

CJF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was watching that auction. Beautiful rifle. Congratulations

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you. I've followed the late Mike Petrov's discussions about all the best American custom makers, and read his two books, but there isn't much information on Owen after WW2. I've seen and contemplated buying, a two-barrelled 20 gauge Belgian sidelock with Owen's name and Port Clinton address several years ago, but haven't a clue what he offered or how many guns he built in that time period. I find it strange Owen never had any sort of brochure that advertised his varied offerings, and have seen Austrian, Belgian, German, and English manufactured shotguns stocked by him at various times in his career, as well as the commercial '98 Mauser actioned rifles along with his Springfields before WW2, and FN commercial Mausers after the war. Anyway, whatever anyone could add to the discussion would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Sandlapper

1 member likes this: CJF
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice rifle. Quite a few Owen rifles are illustrated in Roy Dunlap's Gunsmithing book. Might be worth picking up a copy if you do not already have one.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I ran across and wrote a story about this rifle with R.G. Owen and Tom Burgess (B in circle 3-49 date) barrel markings. For those not aware of Tom Burgess I'd call him the father of modern custom rifle metalsmithing. I first visited him about 1978 at his shop in Lakeside, MT just above Flathead Lake. At the same time I also visited his nearby neighbor Monty Kennedy who live and work on the shore of Flathead lake. Kennedy and Burgess worked together on many projects. Burgess also did metalsmithing for Jerry Fisher (who live in Kalispell at that time) Maurice Ottmar and other well known stockers of the era.From my examination I believe the metal and wood are original to each other.
This rifle is a M-98 Mauser in .257 Roberts (My fav). The last line of my story (Sports Afield, July/Aug 2022) is, "This is the only rifle that I am aware of that bridges pre- and post-WWII custom gunmaking, representing two top craftsmen from each era."

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

4 members like this: Mills, CJF, BrentD, Prof, earlyriser
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gasgunner, Thank you for the heads up; I have Crossman & Dunlap's 1952 Book of the Springfield where both fellows discuss Owen at length, but I 'll get a copy of Gunsmithing. Sandlapper

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your pictures and description of that beautiful Owen rifle. Besides the ornamentation, my rifle and this one are very similar. What I love about Owen's stockwork is the spareness of them; no excess wood, but everything you need.I was rereading one of Mr. Petrov's Owen threads on this site, and he had a picture of one of Owen's catalogs or brochures of his offerings. Does anyone know who or where a copy of one of these might be found? I would love to see the options as well as original prices. Anyway, thanks again, Sandlapper

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sandlapper,
I was at that auction and had the pleasure to examine and handle your new treasure in person. Beautiful rifle and I hope you are happy with it. I managed to snag lots 84 and 108 and am quite happy.
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
1 member likes this: PhysDoc
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thaine, Thanks for your input; I'm supposed to pick it up tomorrow and I haven't been this expectant over a firearm in quite awhile. The only thing they didn't show a pic of was the buttplate, so I hope it wasn't too bad. 7x57 is my favorite caliber to boot. Sandlapper

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.