Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

In case your are interested there is a EBay seller who claims to ship to the US. Ships to: Worldwide C $18.50 (13.85USD) Shipping C$ 9.00 (6.74USD) I would ask him for any color you might want. Given demand he might be willing to stock them if he does not already do so.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334598486964

Last edited by KY Jon; 06/08/23 10:30 PM.
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sadly, I reached out and he is only able to get the light color. The search continues.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does he order direct? Maybe that will be your only option. Order direct or get somebody to do it for you.

tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

He gets if from a supplier who only stocks the light color is what he told me.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've heard of Schaftol, but didn't know much about it and never used it. So I did some searching that suggests it is most likely a mostly boiled linseed oil based product that I'd assume contains dryers. I didn't find any list of ingredients, but the cautions about keeping a linen cloth soaked with it sealed in a glass jar to prevent spontaneous combustion strongly suggests a high linseed oil content. It is intended to freshen up old open pore oil based finishes, but apparently can also be used to finish or refinish bare wood.

It is made in five different tints, but it doesn't seem easy or inexpensive to get all of the various tints in the United States. So considering all that, if I felt I really had to have it, but couldn't get the tint I wanted, I think I'd simply try toning some of the light product to the color I desire with an aniline wood dye. It would be best to first dissolve the dye in a small amount of denatured alcohol, and remember that a little goes a long way. Or if I wanted a red tone, I might try tinting it with alkanet root powder, as has been described in many old gunstock finishing Threads here. In any event, a wood dye is better than a pigment stain because the pigment is more likely to obscure grain and figure.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Turns out you can order it directly from the maker. They will ship it directly to your house. I ordered three bottles and it came in about ten days. Price was decent, even with shipping. Their web site has an English version but the order form was a bit tricky as it was still mostly in German. Seems I recall more than I thought from my 1968 German class. I would order it again from them with confidence.

Last edited by KY Jon; 07/20/23 01:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I highly recommend you try Timberluxe No. 2 and their alcohol-based walnut stain. Go to their website and watch the video.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tim Cartmell
Another Canadian source for Schaftol Wood Oil is Bilozir Fine Guns out of Alberta. I've purchased this product from them at the Edmonton Gun Shows. Bilozir Fine Guns

I purchased a small bottle of the original Scherell's Schaftol from Bilozir at a small gun show in Alberta about a month ago. Haven't found time to try it out, but I will eventually.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.