March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, FelixD, Dan R, CJF, Gerry Addison, 1 invisible), 363 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I use it to search for a specific post from a few years ago, even with the known "title" of the post used, I get useless garbage. What I am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/30/23 11:45 AM.
1 member likes this: eeb
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do better using google. Put in "Lloyd3" and the title you're looking for. . .if you use that handle on different web site, add "doublegunshop".

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

in the search box, put the terms you are looking for and "site:www.doublegunshop.com/forums/" fand it will find all instances of those terms on that website.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Think of a search as words not phrases.
So, if you search on a particular topic, or noun, every time that noun was used, the search engine generates a hit.

They might show up chronologically, but not necessarily a what you want.

Because posters are lower volume than topic nouns, it often helps to start with a poster that You remember replying, the less frequent, posters, even better.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
Think of a search as words not phrases.
So, if you search on a particular topic, or noun, every time that noun was used, the search engine generates a hit.

They might show up chronologically, but not necessarily a what you want.

Because posters are lower volume than topic nouns, it often helps to start with a poster that You remember replying, the less frequent, posters, even better.

If you put a phrase in quotes, it will search for that phrase and ignore instances of each word occurring independently. It can be a pretty powerful way to search. If you search for

site:www.doublegunshop.com “For 2 Inch Case Only” (including the quotes)

Google will find all instances of that phrase, while ignoring all posts that contain all 5 words, but not in a single phrase, in that order.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

That’s good advice on how to use Google.

I don’t think everybody leaves the site to do a search on the site.

I have always just clicked on the magnifying glass, and then tweaked my search words.

I don’t know how Lloyd does it, but chances are if he’s using the site search engine, understanding how it works Should benefit him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
That’s good advice on how to use Google.

I don’t think everybody leaves the site to do a search on the site.

I have always just clicked on the magnifying glass, and then tweaked my search words.

I don’t know how Lloyd does it, but chances are if he’s using the site search engine, understanding how it works Should benefit him.

The quotes will work on the site search engine as well. I'm just not sure that the site's search is really effective. Either way, doublegunshop.com is one of the more challenging sites to search effectively.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

It’s a funny thing, the simplicity of this site, which many lament, is also one of its charms.

My experience has been that every software upgrade loses more than it gains.

A favorite site of mine was bought by a corporate entity, because it is a high-volume site, and lo and behold, the new software upgrade Has essentially eliminated all information more than 10 years old.

For a site that focuses on historical artifacts, that is really sad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It helps that this site gets so little traffic. Well managed websites with like HuntTalk, Shotgunworld, Upland Journal are all extremely easy to use, customize, and search for previous information even though they receive orders of magnitude greater volume and visitation. They all handle photos and other media much more easily as well, and track read and unread posts in ways that this place does not. But as long as doublegun continues to decline rather than grow, it can get by with archaic software. Sadly, it will disappear one day, and all that info with it. Notice that old photos are already lost in many instances, and some of those photos were really informative.

_________

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I tried with the name of the fellow posting the original information (after finding the reference from a Google search on my cell phone). Even with that name, the date of the posting, and the title....I still couldn't get it to display in the search results. I make no claims about my technical prowess (I'm always asking my wife or 19-year old son how to do things) but shouldn't this be fairly simple?

Just tried it again and it would not go back very far to search in the archived data here, the results are all 2023. Again, am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 05/30/23 11:57 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.