April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (rtw, Dan S. W., 2 invisible), 1,080 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,126
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Gang:

How much loss of weight should one expect when drying a stock blank?

I have a stock blank that the seller assured me that it was dry when I bought it. I placed it in my attic for 365 days and itlost 3.21 lbs. It went from 13.74 lbs, to 10.21 lbs. during the past year.

My questions are: how much water loss is normal per year and how many more years must I wait until the wood is dry? I guess that when the wood no longer gets lighter it is dry. Is this a safe assumption?

Any though about this subject?

TIA,

Franchi

It could not have been dry....that is a lot of weight.

An attic in PA can get pretty darned extreme in temps, others will know more and chime in.....but IMO I don't think that is a good place to season a piece of good wood.

Jeff

Jeff

I prefer to season my blanks "in house" when the wood is finally finished and living on the gun, it will be in house. I like to see my blanks go through 5 seasons before they get chopped.

Sidelock
Sidelock

An attic can get as hot as most kilns. It could have been dry enough before and is too dry now. The only way to tell is to check it with a moisture meter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Moisture content has little importance if a stock blank is well aged in stable humidity. It is not a great idea to store them in extreme situations such as an attic or shed. I consider 5 years off the stump to be a minimun and prefer seven to ten.
The vast majority of free water will go out of the blank in the first six months.
Weighing them is a very good indicator if stored in a reasonable environment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

a rule of thumb is a year an inch plus two to stablize.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Moisture levels vary with location and time of year. Weight will also vary with a dry stock gaining weight if the weather turns wet for a time. Most areas of the country will find 12% dry with desert areas being 5-7% following a dry spell. That same wood will go closer to 20% if the wood is moved to a very wet area like the NW coast. Once it is dry, wood should be allowed to stabilize which will take at least a year depending on local humidity. Your stock obviously was not really dry. Accurate weighing over time is a good indicator of dryness.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.